New 2019 Center | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New 2019 Center

The player has not been mentioned in this post nor is his name anywhere mentioned on the site (at least thru the search) and he is a big boy perfect

But what are you saying, that we are now showing interest or that this is an imminent commitment?

The player has not been mentioned in this post nor is his name anywhere mentioned on the site (at least thru the search) and he is a big boy perfect

Very, very interesting.

Makur Maker?
Naheem McCloud?
Moulaye Sissoko?

Chol would be a good get. His recruitment has been fairly quiet of late. He was thought to be a UCANT lean early.. but that probably came down to proximity before he went to IMG.

Corey Evan's described him well...
"The best way to describe Chol Marial? A unicorn. He earned that adjective years ago with his unique combination of size, length, ball skills and agility. A 7-foot-1 center with a 7-foot-9 wingspan, Marial fits the modern-day, big-man mold because he can step out to the perimeter and knock down the open jumper, but has the instincts, coordination and timing to protect his basket and rebound his area.

So, what gives? Marial has been difficult to track down on the hardwood for the past two years, primarily due to foot and shin injuries. That is scary when it comes to a growing, young big man. Do we stick to our guns and believe that Marial will eventually play like his former self, which places him among the elite? Or do we lower our projections and wait until we see the Sudanese center back on the floor? The word "polarizing" does not do the Marial debate justice."
curious to me that people who think we need another big because of concerns about bourama's tendinitis would ignore chol's much more serious injury history

THis year is CHUK's last season, not coming back again - that's confirmed

curious to me that people who think we need another big because of concerns about bourama's tendinitis would ignore chol's much more serious injury history

smart post as i think if we were to land Wahab or Stewart or Akok we should still take another big man (including knowing we have John Bol AJak)

There’s a lot of unsigned bigs left in this class. It’s a deep class for bigs.

I mentioned Chol's injury yesterday, (feel free to look on pg one of this thread) and I'm not advocating for him. I'm simply asking if he's someone the staff is interested in. JBA's achilles injury is equally concerning.

Why play these silly games? Why would it be a secret to be interested in a new recruit?

smart post as i think if we were to land Wahab or Stewart or Akok we should still take another big man (including knowing we have John Bol AJak)
akok is a forward so i wouldn't include him. i would think if su landed wahab or stewart that would be it for 5s - if pascal opts for a 6th year, that would put 4 centers on the roster next year when jb has said in the past that 3 is too many. no room for a fifth

i've thought for awhile we'd end up with
brycen/jba/jgiii as the foundational base with at least 2 of akok/quincy/one of the 5s

also a third big would hurt us in the race for hunter or big cliff in the 2020 class

Why play these silly games? Why would it be a secret to be interested in a new recruit?
Ego?

More like, the coaches are actively pursuing somebody, and they don't want to get the name out there just yet -- perhaps to avoid tipping off the coaching staff from the team that said recruit might be verbally committed to. Not that difficult to figure out.

More like, the coaches are actively pursuing somebody, and they don't want to get the name out there just yet -- perhaps to avoid tipping off the coaching staff from the team that said recruit might be verbally committed to. Not that difficult to figure out.
If the player is verbally committed elsewhere, as you suggest, why are we interfering?

That's a silly question. A player's fair game until they sign.
I meant it in jest... none of our commits are ours either until they sign too. Not that I'm expecting Goodine or JBA to flip. But premature anything isn't good, right?

I wish the rules would change and players could sign their LOI far earlier. I think it would make recruiting a lot easier, and far less stressful.

I'd say he's in that group...
Those were my guesses based on the uncommitted players, but it was posted that the guy is a player that's already verbally committed elsewhere.

Now I'll throw these names out there:
Makhel Mitchell (MD)
Robert Jones (Denver)
Jared Jones (NW)
Malcolm Wilson (Georgetown)
Abdou Tsimbila (Penn St)

Last edited:
Those were my guesses based on the uncommitted players, but it was posted that the guy is a player that's already verbally committed elsewhere.

Now I'll throw these names out there:
Makhel Mitchell (MD)
Robert Jones (Denver)
Jared Jones (NW)
Malcolm Wilson (Georgetown)
Abdou Tsimbila (Penn St)

SU Dreaming mentioned schools that might be going down as a result of the shoe money scandals. Maybe someone like Onyeka Okongwu who committed to USC is going to be back on the market if USC is further implicated when Tony Bland goes to trial. That is offered as an example, because I don't see an natural connection to Okongwu but maybe there is someone like that out there??

There is a huge advantage in recruiting being the hunter, rather than the hunted. The longer these unknown recruitments can remain unknown, the better chance of getting an edge.

Not much doubt about that. Unfortunately, the story of Anthony Davis comes to mind, where we had that advantage re: the best player in the country, but then the money drop---they say---came from Kentucky and then it was over.

Then again, the longer you can keep the kid a secret, it not only gives you an extended opportunity to make an impression, but it might also get things to the point where the stiffest competition has already used up all their scholarships on other players...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom