New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

Red is going to go with the lineup that gives us the best chance to win based on the players he has in the fall. Everything is still fluid.
Judah Jesse Moore ect... its WAY to early. We will know by June until then its pure speculation
The word "lazy" is imo a bit of a lazy choice in this case ... perhaps the hire was more of a "cautious" one?
How about smart.

Except it’s NOT the same team. It’s a year older and more experienced. And after an off-season of development individual skills will improve before we get to November. The team that ended the year doesn’t lose to St. John’s or Bryant. Probably beats Colgate too. We lost 5 conference games by less than 5 points pre February. A more experienced team conceivably turns one or two of those around.
Now that’s all predicated on getting Judah and Jesse back or finding equivalent portal replacements, but it’s not unreasonable to think that given a similar schedule, the 2023-24 roster is capable of a 21-22 win floor.

Schedule will be tougher than last year. The three games in Maui immediately make the non conference stronger. Game at Gtown will be tough. The ACC should be better. Mix that with a new coach learning the ropes and I am not as confident.

That all changes if, in addition to getting Judah and Jesse back, we secure a player like Moore. That would allow any two of Bell, Brown or Benny to come off the bench.

Cuse

Schedule will be tougher than last year. The three games in Maui immediately make the non conference stronger. Game at Gtown will be tough. The ACC should be better. Mix that with a new coach learning the ropes and I am not as confident.

That all changes if, in addition to getting Judah and Jesse back, we secure a player like Moore. That would allow any two of Bell, Brown or Benny to come off the bench.

Cuse

Also a game against an SEC opponent.

Anyone else want a different coach other than Red right now? Guy is knocking it all out of the park… I want everyone who doubted this to now just support. Lotta doubters early on… let’s rally together and support.. This is the most exciting flip of the page possible
I mostly agree but I think we need to pump the brakes a little bit.

I’ve been saying there’s going to be a big uptick in recruiting high school and portal which is obviously exciting and we are seeing that.

BUT we have to wait and see how he does coaching on the court too. Red has never been a head coach before so it’s a big change going from career assistant to head coach. We see how recruiting some top notch players is going at Louisville with an inept gameday coach. Now I’m not saying Red is going to be like that…I am saying there’s VERY good potential by the beginning of the season and we look at the roster and think this team could legit win an ACC Championship and make a final four run on paper. But we may have to temper expectations a little bit realizing how green our coach is as a head coach. Let’s hope he’s more like Scheyer at Duke rather than Louisville or even UNC

I’ve been saying there’s going to be a big uptick in recruiting high school and portal which is obviously exciting and we are seeing that.

BUT we have to wait and see how he does coaching on the court too. Red has never been a head coach before so it’s a big change going from career assistant to head coach. We see how recruiting some top notch players is going at Louisville with an inept gameday coach. Now I’m not saying Red is going to be like that…I am saying there’s VERY good potential by the beginning of the season and we look at the roster and think this team could legit win an ACC Championship and make a final four run on paper. But we may have to temper expectations a little bit realizing how green our coach is as a head coach. Let’s hope he’s more like Scheyer at Duke rather than Louisville or even UNC

For sure. I do think, and not to undermine your point whatsoever as it's important, the Ville is a different animal. Since Pitino left they had Padgett then Mack, then more controversy with Pegues taking over and now Payne. Payne inherited a program weary and somewhat in disarray.

I think Davis or Ollie are probably better examples to look at in terms of the downside/possible struggles. Very glad to see continuity in the staff along with an important outside hire. From day 1 its been positive steps towards giving the program a chance to start well under Red's tenure.

I don't believe that. His connections to both D.C. and Philly were the key. Not any one player.
Another thing on Straughn's resume that might be a big help for a first time head coach: he has been an "offensive coordinator" every place he's gone lately, and seen some nice improvement in results.

If Straughn comes in and not only effects recruiting, but helps game plan the offense, both strategically and tactically, it could make things a lot easier. He's joining a bunch of guys who only played under JB and mostly only coached under him as well. His voice should be a breath of fresh air when game planning.

If we have Judah and Starling there's no need to pump any brakes. We will good, for sure. There's a floor there. Those two alone basically give us an offense
That's what I've been saying... Starling and Mintz with the ball, bookended by some combination of shooters like Williams, Bell and Taylor. They'll be backed up by Copeland who has many of the same skills. As long as we have a center who can play good defense and not fall down too often on offense, we should be ok even assuming Edwards doesn't come back.

If we get Edwards and Moore on the roster as some expect, the sky is the limit.

Who will be the first commit brought in by Coach Brenden Straughn?​

D0CAA0AC-63E2-4E86-9DC4-688877176F1A.jpeg

675 replies for a coach who hasn't actually done anything yet. Dang, he must be good.

Point guards usually make good coaches, because they have to run a team.
They have to be able to think, and make guick decisions during the flow of the game.

I’m not going to say Syracuse is back to what it once was not too long ago. I will simply say I feel hopeful about the team and program for the first time in many years and it feels so good to be hopeful again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom