New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

Schedule will be tougher than last year. The three games in Maui immediately make the non conference stronger. Game at Gtown will be tough. The ACC should be better. Mix that with a new coach learning the ropes and I am not as confident.

That all changes if, in addition to getting Judah and Jesse back, we secure a player like Moore. That would allow any two of Bell, Brown or Benny to come off the bench.

Cuse
Absolutely. My point is that saying we will start the season with essentially the same team as we started this past season with is inaccurate.

Maui field is ridiculous, but we will come out of it no worse than 1-2 vs. 1-1 in Brooklyn. And results in the SEC challenge won’t be any worse that this year’s B10 challenge.

Hope the ACC will be better, but not convinced there will be a significant improvement overall yet. Get Jesse and Judah back (or equivalent replacements) and I see reasons for optimism

Hopefully a lot of tight pants.
jimmy fallon celebs GIF

I’m not going to say Syracuse is back to what it once was not too long ago. I will simply say I feel hopeful about the team and program for the first time in many years and it feels so good to be hopeful again.
Talent wise, what we are likely going to have on paper when the season starts up, we will be on par with some really good Syracuse teams. I said in another post that I expect this team when it’s all said and done, on paper to be the most talented Cuse team since probably 11/12.

Mintz
Starling
Moore (potentially)
Benny
Edwards

Bell
Taylor
Copeland
Hima
Brown
Carey
Patterson

That’s a hell of a team

Talent wise, what we are likely going to have on paper when the season starts up, we will be on par with some really good Syracuse teams. I said in another post that I expect this team when it’s all said and done, on paper to be the most talented Cuse team since probably 11/12.

Mintz
Starling
Moore (potentially)
Benny
Edwards

Bell
Taylor
Copeland
Hima
Brown
Carey
Patterson

That’s a hell of a team
That would be a dream come true.

Mintz
Starling
Moore (potentially)
Benny
Edwards

Bell
Taylor
Copeland
Hima
Brown
Carey
Patterson

That’s a hell of a team

Yep. There would be a clear cut "core 10" too here with the wild card being Carey. Not saying I have a clue if Red will play 10 guys on the regular but it certainly is a team setup to be that deep.

Mintz
Starling
Moore (potentially)
Benny
Edwards

Bell
Taylor
Copeland
Hima
Brown
Carey
Patterson

That’s a hell of a team
I’m definitely more cautious than you on that lol. I like the young guys and all but it’s tough for me to assume that one extra year of experience + Moore/JJ and minus Joe takes us from not even being an NIT team to being better than the MCW final four team.

Not impossible but seems like an awful lot would have to go right for us (on top of the simpler part of actually getting that roster to be the actual roster).

I’m simply happy I can reasonably dream of being back in the tournament again. Anything beyond that is an excellent excellent start to the Autry era. Like I said, I’m excited and hopeful for the first time in awhile now.

Mintz
Starling
Moore (potentially)
Benny
Edwards

Bell
Taylor
Copeland
Hima
Brown
Carey
Patterson

That’s a hell of a team
My thoughts based on no inside info on the likelihood of the following happening:

- Judah returning (60-40 yes, he does)
- Jesse returning (60-40 yes, he does)
- Moore entering the portal and attending SU next year (30-70 probably he does not)

That's how I'm feeling. And if Moore isn't around, I think we can go out and find someone else that could be an impact guy. Unless we see Bell/Brown/Taylor/Copeland improving greatly in the spring/summer.

Mintz
Starling
Moore (potentially)
Benny
Edwards

Bell
Taylor
Copeland
Hima
Brown
Carey
Patterson

That’s a hell of a team
Potentially, you are right but there are any number of factors that could affect the potential.

For example, Moore does not come, or Jesse Edwards decides he is ready for the draft or heaven forbid, Judah decides to stay in the draft. Then the test of HCAA’s true mettle is how he handles any of the above Gaps.

In addition Benny, Taylor, Brown, Bell, Copeland and Carey each need to up their game. HCAA‘soffensive strategy has to include moving the ball around to get more people involved, capitalizing on individual skills. The days of Joe (substitute JJ), Judah and Jesse as the only offensive facets will not work as well (??) as it did this past year.

Defense is a topic for a later day once the roster finalizes.

Mintz
Starling
Moore (potentially)
Benny
Edwards

Bell
Taylor
Copeland
Hima
Brown
Carey
Patterson

That’s a hell of a team
Great starting 5. Heck of a drop off on the bench though.

Anyone else want a different coach other than Red right now? Guy is knocking it all out of the park… I want everyone who doubted this to now just support. Lotta doubters early on… let’s rally together and support.. This is the most exciting flip of the page possible
I love being wrong about things like this.

The program feels like Syracuse again.

I’m definitely more cautious than you on that lol. I like the young guys and all but it’s tough for me to assume that one extra year of experience + Moore/JJ and minus Joe takes us from not even being an NIT team to being better than the MCW final four team.

Not impossible but seems like an awful lot would have to go right for us (on top of the simpler part of actually getting that roster to be the actual roster).

I’m simply happy I can reasonably dream of being back in the tournament again. Anything beyond that is an excellent excellent start to the Autry era. Like I said, I’m excited and hopeful for the first time in awhile now.
I'm with you on being cautious. 3 of the 5 players listed as starters there are 50/50, at best, of being here. But let's assume Judah and Jesse return, and hopefully we land a player of the caliber listed. That's great a pretty decent starting lineup, though shooting may not be in an ideal spot.

But my biggest concern is we will be woefully weak in the frontcourt and liable to get bullied by many teams in mtm. We don't have a single guy that can bang or body up the opposition. These are all still zone-type forwards/centers. We needed some turnover at the forward position, IMO, if we were going to get the most out of the position, and somebody of a different skill/body type would have been ideal.

I just don't know if Benny/Bell/Brown/Taylor are good enough or the right fits to rebound, play man and provide enough to stress a defense. They're all pretty one-dimensional, thin and more backups than anything. I'm just hoping that if Judah/Jesse return, we add JJ and the other kid, that we aren't handcuffed by the rest of the frontcourt.

Agree. I’m all for Red, but the current roster is sad. As of right now, our three leading scorers and best players are not back. We still have the same forwards who were outclassed all season. If Jesse and Judah come back, that changes things. We are still woefully weak at forward.
I am certainly hoping we can land a proven forward, or a 3rd guard that can rebound.

But it’s possible we don’t do any of that and still get a lot better at forward. Benny, Taylor, and Bell were all fairly highly rated recruits, and Brown was the best player of all of them. If a few of them make a big leap, we’d be decent at forward.

I am certainly hoping we can land a proven forward, or a 3rd guard that can rebound.

But it’s possible we don’t do any of that and still get a lot better at forward. Benny, Taylor, and Bell were all fairly highly rated recruits, and Brown was the best player of all of them. If a few of them make a big leap, we’d be decent at forward.
That’s three big ifs. I hope they all make huge jumps.

If we don’t get Justin Moore i’m going to be so disappointed, all these hints that have been dropped on this board the last 2 weeks, in my head Justin Moore is already penciled in our starting lineup for next year lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom