New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official] | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official]

If you look at Hubert Davis, Kevin Ollie, and Jon Scheyer, former players at their alumni school to become head coaches there is one distinct difference with Red. The difference is that Red had to work and prove himself as a coach elsewhere before coming back to Alma mater as an assistant on Boeheim’s staff.

The guy is very well connected.
Not for anything but he was on a couple high schools and VTs staff for 1 year each. He didn’t exactly go through the gauntlet of coaching before getting to Syracuse. And the VT team was a NIT team the year before and then went to the NIT his year, only difference was a few less wins. Not sure why there is so much need for hyperbole. He was a very fast riser.

Not for anything but he was on a couple high schools and VTs staff for 1 year each. He didn’t exactly go through the gauntlet of coaching before getting to Syracuse. And the VT team was a NIT team the year before and then went to the NIT his year, only difference was a few less wins. Not sure why there is so much need for hyperbole. He was a very fast riser.
I know reading comprehension is hard. But this isn’t correct. Autry was director of basketball operations for 2 years at Va Tech. Then he got promoted the next year to a full time assistant, which is not easy to do after only two years as a DOBO. For the next season, he had actually named the associate head coach at Dayton under Archie Miller before backing out and taking the assistant coaching job at Syracuse instead. Then Allen Griff took the assistant job at Dayton. The article states Red was at Va Tech from 2008-2011.

I know reading comprehension is hard. But this isn’t correct. Autry was director of basketball operations for 2 years at Va Tech. Then he got promoted the next year to a full time assistant, which is not easy to do after only two years as a DOBO. For the next season, he had actually named the associate head coach at Dayton under Archie Miller before backing out and taking the assistant coaching job at Syracuse instead. Then Allen Griff took the assistant job at Dayton. The article states Red was at Va Tech from 2008-2011.
"reading comprehension" he says...

Meanwhile the post I was responding to claimed he proved himself as a coach elsewhere whilst only being an on-bench assistant for 3 years total, 2 of which were with high schools with each stint lasting 1 year. I was pointing out that he didnt work his way around the lower ranks for 15 years building all these connections and grinding, he worked 5-6 years, 3 of which were on-bench roles and then ended up at Syracuse. Its not saying he did anything wrong, quite the contrary in fact, i just don't think we need to pretend like he had some long-term ride to get to Syracuse to justify who he picks as an assistant.

He also did a couple of years on the AAU circuit. Team Takeover (Freeman's team and the Paul VI feeder program)

And the new guy wears a bowtie. Ugh. SMH
I don't EVER want to see this look on our sidelines.
Sorry, but this is even worse than 1970s style plaid jackets.

8o_VrMMg.jpg

And the new guy wears a bowtie. Ugh. SMH
I don't EVER want to see this look on our sidelines.
Sorry, but this is even worse than 1970s style plaid jackets.

View attachment 240210
I’m guessing may have been a nod to Jim Phelan, the longtime MSM coach. Don’t get the vibe this dude is looking to make a fashion statement per se.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom