New Assistant Strength Coach: Keith Caton | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant Strength Coach: Keith Caton

This isn't true if you want to get technical. Money is fungible. Increased endowment spend in one area can impact the athletic tax (or subsidy) indirectly, which directly impacts how much money the AD can pay coaches.

I'm also pretty sure that Cal used the general endowment as collateral against which their AD borrowed, allowing the AD to get a better rate, which in turn impacted the quality of investments (i.e. coaching hires) they can afford to make.

And lastly, it's a metric of overall strength, that's largely driven by donations, which absolutely does impact coaching salaries and hires.

Most endowments are earmarked for specific uses that a university has to legally adhere to. People make endowments for any number of things such as research, faculty, academic buildings, scholarships, etc. If an individual makes an endowment earmarked for athletics then it can be used for the specific use called for in the endowment which could be infrastructure, athletic scholarships, coaches salaries, specific sports or even general AD.

What I don’t have a feel for is while I know the majority of endowments are non athletic, how much, if any is earmarked for athletics. It “seems” like athletic donations are made in a non-endowment type vehicle.

Last edited:
Most endowments are earmarked for specific uses that a university has to legally adhere to. People make endowments for any number of things such as research, faculty, academic buildings, scholarships, etc. If an individual makes an endowment earmarked for athletics then it can be used for the specific use called for in the endowment which could be infrastructure, athletic scholarships, coaches salaries, specific sports or even general AD.

What I don’t have a feel for is while I know the majority of endowments are non athletic, how much, if any is earmarked for athletics. It “seems” like athletic donations are made in a non-environment type vehicle.
1) There is an athletic endowment, which is shockingly small compared to our peer organizations/rivals, and desperately needs help from anyone reading this post *cough cough*
2) If you think that your earmark has a tangible impact on how the money is actually spent (at any organization), you're either a very large donor, or you're living a lie. Effectively moving money from one fund to another is far from complicated. It takes a 3rd grader half a box of crayons to figure out how weight unallocated money (which does exist) in a way that balances out allocated money (which to your point, also exists) to achieve an end result that approximates how the money would be spent if it was all unallocated.

Yes, the money nominally doesn't change funds/budgets, but call a rose whatever you want, and it will still be a rose.

The only real way to have say for certain is to give enough money to throw off the balance between allocated and unallocated monies, and more power to you if you can swing that kind of donation. But even then, there's nothing that you can (or should) do to deprive the university of a couple hundred thousand dollars of float between the academic side and the athletic side.

1) There is an athletic endowment, which is shockingly small compared to our peer organizations/rivals, and desperately needs help from anyone reading this post *cough cough*
2) If you think that your earmark has a tangible impact on how the money is actually spent (at any organization), you're either a very large donor, or you're living a lie. Effectively moving money from one fund to another is far from complicated. It takes a 3rd grader half a box of crayons to figure out how weight unallocated money (which does exist) in a way that balances out allocated money (which to your point, also exists) to achieve an end result that approximates how the money would be spent if it was all unallocated.

Yes, the money nominally doesn't change funds/budgets, but call a rose whatever you want, and it will still be a rose.

The only real way to have say for certain is to give enough money to throw off the balance between allocated and unallocated monies, and more power to you if you can swing that kind of donation. But even then, there's nothing that you can (or should) do to deprive the university of a couple hundred thousand dollars of float between the academic side and the athletic side.

This is my only point.

"Colleges and universities spend endowment income on a wide variety of purposes. At many institutions, most endowment spending is dedicated to donor-restricted purposes that institutions are legally bound to uphold."

http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Documents/Facts-About-College-and-University-Endowments.pdf

I don't know. Babers all but stated Hart went to Indiana for a substantial pay increase that we couldn't match.

Hart was a VERY new coach. You have to have a pay scale for the whole staff. You can't let one first-year guy in the profession just blow that up, just because he played in the league.

To get back to Caton, and his role...

The knock/scapegoat for him at Indiana, was that the OL, lacked punch and the team seemed gassed in the 4th... I'm calling scapegoat, but it doesn't matter, because Edinger will be responsible.

Coach Sobol was the the strong SOB of the staff. He benched 567 on his Instagram, preparing for an RPS power lifting meet. He managed 100lbs less at the meet, because powerlifting rules are VERY stringent. The kids need someone there to remind them, every day, they aren't strong enough. Sobol filled this role. (Swolebol is the coolest name, ever) I watched Caton put up 545, and 585... (no rules) He will fill this role, nicely. Few men can do this. He's a good hire.

Hart was a VERY new coach. You have to have a pay scale for the whole staff. You can't let one first-year guy in the profession just blow that up, just because he played in the league.
That's makes sense. However, it doesn't explain why we couldn't match what Indiana offered (they have to have a scale too), assuming we wanted to keep him and he liked it here.

That's makes sense. However, it doesn't explain why we couldn't match what Indiana offered (they have to have a scale too), assuming we wanted to keep him and he liked it here.
Maybe we didn't think he did a good enough job to deserve the raise? Everyone's replaceable until they're not.

I hope he turns Tre Allison, Juan Wallace, Tyrell Richards, Nadarius Fagan, Kadeem Trotter and our other young linebackers into heat seaking missiles

Maybe we didn't think he did a good enough job to deserve the raise? Everyone's replaceable until they're not.
Could be. That's why included my qualifier. I suppose the ones that know are Hart, DB, and the AD.

we didn't match the offer because he wasn't worth it. average recruiter, average coach at a dime a dozen position.

we didn't match the offer because he wasn't worth it. average recruiter, average coach at a dime a dozen position.
Could be. That's not the impression I got from Dino's comment when he made it, but all of this is certainly up for interpretation. Again, I qualified my statement with "assuming we wanted keep him."

He wasn't here very long before he left. I think we could have matched the money but chose not to. It's not like Mike didn't know the salary when took the job.

This is my only point.

"Colleges and universities spend endowment income on a wide variety of purposes. At many institutions, most endowment spending is dedicated to donor-restricted purposes that institutions are legally bound to uphold."

http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Documents/Facts-About-College-and-University-Endowments.pdf
I get that, but it's only technically true.

It's like saying every vote in America counts the same for presidential elections. Technically? Sure.

In reality? No. Votes in FL and OH are more important than those in NY, CA, TX, etc.

The same goes for endowments. Yes, the money is technically confined, but it isn't in reality at any major university (or pretty much any other large organization for that matter), except for the caveats that I listed. Endowment money *can* absolutely fund athletics to a significant degree simply by playing with the unrestrained portions of it to directly impact money transfers from the academic side to the athletic side (taxes and subsidies), which directly affects AD budgets and available funds for coaching salaries.

The only ways to avoid that relationship is to either somehow make money not fungible, or to completely remove all unrestrained funds (which would be both hard, and a terrible idea).

He wasn't here very long before he left. I think we could have matched the money but chose not to. It's not like Mike didn't know the salary when took the job.
I may be missing something, but I'm not losing any sleep over him leaving.

I don't think that he was a disaster, but I can't point to any area of coaching where he was materially above average.

FIFY.

I've seen times when co-workers or colleagues went to another gig for a lot more $, and I was flabbergasted that anybody would pay them that much, since they were not particularly good at their current job.

I'm not saying that's the case w/ Hart, but - he certainly wasn't unreplaceable, and perhaps Dino felt that the $ needed to match IU's offer would be better spent elsewhere.

The best way to make more money is to be willing to move around. It's risky, but it works.

So great to see them teaching the low bar squat technique.
That was great technique with solid pause and the use of bands makes that a great excercise geared exactly for football. Bands helped my son tremendously in hs whether it be for bench, hex-bar deadlifts, or squats. Man do I miss training our hs football team. Loved working with the kids and them being excited over the improvements they made.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did I just do lol
You deleted part of the last Quote at the end of the post to which you were responding. When you do that it blends the two posts into one. Fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom