New Assistant | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that our bigs over the last several years have not been perfect, but look at the players we recruited (or didn't land for that matter). Would people be all over Griff if he had better starting materials to work with? (or are we pinning that on him as big man coach too?)

I thought Jesse's development was tremendous while he was here and it sure seemed like he developed post moves and footwork and I dare say, he even scored with a baby hook sometimes.

Shrug

I realize that our bigs over the last several years have not been perfect, but look at the players we recruited (or didn't land for that matter). Would people be all over Griff if he had better starting materials to work with? (or are we pinning that on him as big man coach too?)

I thought Jesse's development was tremendous while he was here and it sure seemed like he developed post moves and footwork and I dare say, he even scored with a baby hook sometimes.

Shrug
I like Griff, but I don't think he is a big man coach. Jesse spent a lot of time with his national team playing against other bigs. Personally, I believe that was the greatest source of his improvement. I liked him as a freshman, and I think the things he brought to the table as a freshman are the same tools that improved. I think we would benefit greatly with a proven big man coach...that can recruit as well.

One thing I hate about our bigs in the last 10 years is that not one seems to be able to add a baby hook into their arsenal. I mean my god I’m 34 and my baby hook in the low post is better. Are and Rick Jackson were masters with that shot.
Is Kareem available?

I like Griff, but I don't think he is a big man coach. Jesse spent a lot of time with his national team playing against other bigs. Personally, I believe that was the greatest source of his improvement. I liked him as a freshman, and I think the things he brought to the table as a freshman are the same tools that improved. I think we would benefit greatly with a proven big man coach...that can recruit as well.
That is a fair take, not sure I would have enough data to say Jesse developed more in one place than another, but isn't the bolded part true for pretty much any recruit? How many players truly develop skills that they showed no glimpses of at all? Maybe I am interpreting that statement incorrectly.

Edited to add: I would love to see what Griff could do if we actually landed some Plan As and Bs at the center position. I think that would allow us to form a better opinion of his coaching and development skills.

One thing I hate about our bigs in the last 10 years is that not one seems to be able to add a baby hook into their arsenal. I mean my god I’m 34 and my baby hook in the low post is better. Are and Rick Jackson were masters with that shot.
2 points at 60% + is still 2 points. It may not be fashionable, but it’s a money move when you need it.

That is a fair take, not sure I would have enough data to say Jesse developed more in one place than another, but isn't the bolded part true for pretty much any recruit? How many players truly develop skills that they showed no glimpses of at all? Maybe I am interpreting that statement incorrectly.
My point was that I didn't notice him improving in any area outside of what he already showed. And, that is completely my take. Griff may have worked wonders.

How many times do you see a baby hook in the college/nba game nowadays? It's almost non-existent
Really? Have you watched Clemson at all this year? For that matter, have you watched the opposing team against Syracuse in 90% of our games this year?

He was a big man coach at Dayton under Archie Miller. He was taking Allen to Indiana with him from Dayton but Allen changed his mind when Boeheim called.

They worked out mostly with the forwards.
So you’re telling me the players we’ve been forced to play out of position at the 5 aren’t even being coached/taught around that position?

How many times do you see a baby hook in the college/nba game nowadays? It's almost non-existent
You see it fairly often in the college game. Dickinson, Edy, Filipiwski all the good bigs have it. Hell the kid from Oakland did it about 5 times when they beat Kentucky

I want someone who can teach D. Team D specifically - our guys had no concept on how to play team defense and if we are going to be man based we need to break it down and build it up. Fundamental concepts of how to play defense need to be taught.

He worked with Edwards 4 of those 6 years and Jesse had 2 very productive years at SU. You really are understating facts to fit your viewpoint. He’s done a good job with Maliq. Marek was a key player at SU. Bourama was hurt most of his career.

Of the coaches on staff last year, we can point to Gerry working with the guards, and how many excellent shooters we have had during his tenure.

Straughn is a new guy, just one year on staff, but he delivered a McDonald's AA.

Griffin looks like the under-achiever so far, to me. Loved him as a player, but we need much more from our staff.

I think we need someone to teach real post moves, footwork and all. And, how to properly defend other bigs.

You need an actual big man for that. I would be happy to add Rosie Bouie to the staff, but he's getting older. I think that assistant coach at Monteverde who is the big man from Nigeria would be a very interesting candidate.

You need an actual big man for that. I would be happy to add Rosie Bouie to the staff, but he's getting older. I think that assistant coach at Monteverde who is the big man from Nigeria would be a very interesting candidate.

How many coaching staffs across the country in P5 have actual bigs coaching the bigs?

I think we need someone to teach real post moves, footwork and all. And, how to properly defend other bigs.

Jesse's footwork remained poor, even in his best year for us. If he was more than 5 feet away with his back to the basket, he often traveled, moved his pivot feet all the time. He was best attacking with his face to the basket.

I don’t think it absolutely has to be a big man, but it helps. But, it takes someone who knows the ins and outs of the footwork and arm and body placement on defense. Maybe that’s Griff, I don’t know. But, based on our centers over the last decade, I suspect not.

How many coaching staffs across the country in P5 have actual bigs coaching the bigs?

I'm not sure; it's not an easy search to find "best big men coaches" - you tend to get "best coaches" generally speaking.

Seems to me, though, that if you have someone who has played the position, they have to know more about the dark arts of being successful at the position.

Bernie Fine was known as one of the best coaches for big men in his day. Same with Pete Newell who held camps for bigs and taught other coaches how to develop big men and he was 6’2”. Everyone is talking about UConn - one coach was a 6’4” guard in college, the other 2 assistants never even played college ball. Every assistant on Duke was a guard in college. Playing the center position in college has no correlation to their expertise on teaching the skills. Usually it’s people who have become real students of the game. It doesn’t mean that being tall, having played center means you can’t teach the center position, however for some reason they are very rare.

We had a very bright big man when I was in school. He had a 20 year NBA career. Any body know if Danny Schayes is looking to for a challenge?

We had a very bright big man when I was in school. He had a 20 year NBA career. Any body know if Danny Schayes is looking to for a challenge?
If you’ve seen Danny Schayes lately, he’s not getting up and down the court much these days. I’m not sure he can demonstrate much footwork!

Definitely want a big man who can coach big men, and hopefully recruit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom