Class of 2022 - New Commit: Billy Dwan (MD: Loyola Blakefield) Defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Billy Dwan (MD: Loyola Blakefield) Defense

BILLY DWAN, MARYLAND, DEFENSE (LOYOLA BLAKEFIELD/FCA/ANNAPOLIS HAWKS/SYRACUSE)

The defensive lynchpin of the champion Maryland squad, Dwan rarely seems to be out of position. The son of former Johns Hopkins assistant Bill Dwan has the IQ you'd expect from a coach's son, and he doesn't seem to make mistakes. He's not the flashiest defenseman, but he doesn't have to be because he's such a good cover guy. There's a case to be made that he's the No. 1 defenseman in the class, a case that he bolstered with his lights-out performance in the title game, a 12-3 Maryland romp.

Loyola vs. Gilman

Which number is Dwan? #35?
They say he is #35 in an opening graphic on players to watch. Thanks for posting! Will definitely try to take a look at some point as we have seen very little footage of him.

Loyola vs. Gilman

Which number is Dwan? #35?
Yeah he’s #35. Watched this game. Him and AJ Larkin work very well together. It’s almost like they can read each other’s minds and know what the other is going to do next. Pretty incredible to watch. Can’t wait until they play McDonogh and Calvert Hall.

Skipped around a bit to try and just watch the parts with Loyola on defense. Looks mature beyond his years out there as advertised. Slight con would be that he was getting kind of out muscled by this absolute tank that Gilman had. The guy was doing some Tehokaish bulldodges from behind to get decent looks topside, but Dwan clamped down on his stick at the crucial moments during his shot and he never actually scored. Nobody got anything on him with speed. He looked a good deal like a Wycoff or a Cunningham where they are able to position themselves so well that speed and quickness are taken out of the equation (unless you are Michael Sowers of course). Then again nobody really challenged his foot speed so he could excel going up against a quicker guy as well for all I know. Nothing even remotely close to a mistake off ball. Also he is just a junior and could fill out his large frame more before he arrives on campus. Looks great!

Dwan will be a very good #2 defenseman in college. But he's not an alpha cover guy. He's great off-ball for his age and a phenomenal communicator. Every defense needs a guy like him. I just don't see him being an All-American takeaway or lockdown defender.

LB has a scary good defense this year between him, Larkin, and Webb, the Hopkins commit in goal. They could give Calvert Hall a run for the MIAA title. Not as much firepower on offense but enough there to give CH a battle.

Dwan will be a very good #2 defenseman in college. But he's not an alpha cover guy. He's great off-ball for his age and a phenomenal communicator. Every defense needs a guy like him. I just don't see him being an All-American takeaway or lockdown defender.

LB has a scary good defense this year between him, Larkin, and Webb, the Hopkins commit in goal. They could give Calvert Hall a run for the MIAA title. Not as much firepower on offense but enough there to give CH a battle.
Feel similarly from what I have seen as of now, and that is more than ok. Did see a couple nicely timed takeaway checks in this game however. Hoping we get a guy who can truly replace prime Melens 1v1 cover ability, which has not really happened yet. In general our D could really stand to put the ball on the mat more. I'll settle for a guy like Bomberry who had an insane 61 gbs as a close D in 2019.

Currently playing on ESPNU with his club team, Annapolis Hawks, vs DC Express. Both teams loaded with current ‘22 & future ‘23 high-D1 commits. Quint & Carc on the call. Dwan is #35 in white & Dom Petro is #77 in white.

Last edited:
This isn’t showing for me, what is it?

90C99230-DA38-4BC9-8D50-8655F3E1555D.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors