Class of 2019 - New Commit: Brandon Aviles (NY:Ward-Melville) FO/Mid | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 New Commit: Brandon Aviles (NY:Ward-Melville) FO/Mid

SHP is one of the better NJ teams this year. Had beaten Malvern Prep, Delbarton, Darien and Summit which are all good teams. Aviles performance and WM team are quite impressive

WM won only 6 of 13 on faceoffs against a Colgate commit . The SHP fogo is one of the many good NJ fogos but not a Sisselberger.

Wow. This kid looks like a serious talent. Creativity and dodging ability reminds me of Dordevic. Obviously the "around-the-world" was nice but how about the 7 yd back hand rocket he put in for his second goal... Disgusting.

Does anyone know how productive he's been in other games? Wondering if they seem him as a FOGO or as an offensive midfielder.

Does anyone know how productive he's been in other games? Wondering if they seem him as a FOGO or as an offensive midfielder.

Ward Melville I think is 10-3 and Aviles seems to be in the 20 goal 5 assist range which I think is real good for a middie. Stats for WM are hard to find. Newsday has them but they're a subscription site.

That was pretty slick.

I have to say that Aviles' rise from when he first committed to now is pretty remarkable. We were pulling stuff from the web about a Brandon Aviles from John Glenn HS LI who was a good wrestler and thinking it might be the WM Aviles because the WM Aviles had M/FO next to his name and we thought maybe the coaches know he's a good wrestler and want him for face offs.

I think that either the SU coaches are good at spotting a diamond in the rough, and let's be honest, that's what Aviles was when he committed to SU, or the coaches are good at making sure these kids work hard to improve throughout their remaining HS careers. Probably both.

I didn't know what to make of this recruit, but now he's one of the easiest of SU's 2019's to follow and he makes some great plays.

That was pretty slick.

I have to say that Aviles' rise from when he first committed to now is pretty remarkable. We were pulling stuff from the web about a Brandon Aviles from John Glenn HS LI who was a good wrestler and thinking it might be the WM Aviles because the WM Aviles had M/FO next to his name and we thought maybe the coaches know he's a good wrestler and want him for face offs.

I think that either the SU coaches are good at spotting a diamond in the rough, and let's be honest, that's what Aviles was when he committed to SU, or the coaches are good at making sure these kids work hard to improve throughout their remaining HS careers. Probably both.

I didn't know what to make of this recruit, but now he's one of the easiest of SU's 2019's to follow and he makes some great plays.

Hard to speculate, his coaches could've reached out to Syracuse because of the kids interest or Syracuse maybe saw him at FLG or some other showcase. Could be a combination of both. I'd imagine he's been playing on a pretty good club team as well.

Hard to believe a LI kid coming up through the ranks at Ward Melville is unknown. I'm sure the people in the lacrosse circles down there always tabbed that kid as 'one to watch' much like we do here with young Section III, 2 and V kids.

Hard to speculate, his coaches could've reached out to Syracuse because of the kids interest or Syracuse maybe saw him at FLG or some other showcase. Could be a combination of both. I'd imagine he's been playing on a pretty good club team as well.

Hard to believe a LI kid coming up through the ranks at Ward Melville is unknown. I'm sure the people in the lacrosse circles down there always tabbed that kid as 'one to watch' much like we do here with young Section III, 2 and V kids.
Aviles just seems like a strange case. He was on WM's first midfield line at least by the end of his junior year, but according to Newsday, he hardly put up any points. He didn't take many face offs either. We don't see his name mentioned in any write ups of the summer club circuit, so it's not like he was really making a name for himself there.

There is just so little production from him at Ward Melville, until this season. His upward trajectory is promising.

Aviles just seems like a strange case. He was on WM's first midfield line at least by the end of his junior year, but according to Newsday, he hardly put up any points. He didn't take many face offs either. We don't see his name mentioned in any write ups of the summer club circuit, so it's not like he was really making a name for himself there.

There is just so little production from him at Ward Melville, until this season. His upward trajectory is promising.

He may have just been facing off last year. I do know that Ward Melville had some 22 seniors on their team last year which is crazy. So how many juniors and sophomores were even on the team and contributing?

Something to keep in mind to is that it costs a lot of money ($ thousands $) to travel the summer circuit. Kids who don't do it definitely have a tougher time getting noticed except for when you play at Ward Melville. Unless you're at a connected high school college coaches now-a-days are only spending their recruiting budget money to recruit travel tournaments, showcases and prospect camps. It's one stop shopping for them.

Last edited:
Aviles not playing today against Smithtown East, not said what the injury is?!

Watch live on news12 Facebook page

Northeast High School Road Trip: 22 Players Who Impressed

"Brandon Aviles ’19, FO/M, Ward Melville (N.Y.) | Syracuse Aviles certainly turned a lot of heads in the rout of Seton Hall Prep, as he fired home five goals — including the game’s first three goals — to jumpstart a Patriots team that has been inconsistent offensively this year. The most impressive part of the day was how he scored his goals, including a sick backhander that snuck in the near-side post from 10 yards out, a ridiculous low-to-high rollback from 12 yards, and the best of ‘em all: an around-the-world high bouncer from a yard above GLE."
—MC

This kid has a really high ceiling and I'm excited to see him grow as a player at the next level. I know we are already deep at the midfield position next season, but I really really would like him to see the field next year-- as I think he is talented enough both offensively and defensively to play right away. Would hate to see a solid Long Island player who goes against tough HS competition have to RS, wonder if he will ever see the field and then just transfer somewhere else because Desko wants to be stubborn and play favoritism towards upperclassmen. Either that, or be stubborn and continue to play kids that haven't produced any fruit in their lacrosse careers thus far.

As far as I'm concerned, Quinn can lose his spot on the 2nd midfield line and get replaced by Aviles. I just dont see Quinn progressing or becoming any kind of elite midfielder at the D1 level, im sorry. ORRR, have the 2nd midfield line be the Kim bros + Magnan. If one of the twins or Magnan aren't producing or playing well, throw Aviles/Hill in.

Thats the one thing that has bothered me the last couple of years. Why are players like Lane, Simmons, Carlin, Quinn, Seebold who all have got a significant amount of playing time and have little to show in their lacrosse careers playing over some people on the roster who are sitting on the bench, redshirting or transferred out already? Is Desko actively trying to self sabotage? I'm sitting here trying to make it make sense lol. It's really not that difficult to switch around players and see who meshes well during the game.. look what happened when he gave Buttermore a shot. Magnan, the Kim bros, and Aburn have the same amount of points as Quinn/Seebold with only having played the last couple minutes of a couple games.

This kid has a really high ceiling and I'm excited to see him grow as a player at the next level. I know we are already deep at the midfield position next season, but I really really would like him to see the field next year-- as I think he is talented enough both offensively and defensively to play right away. Would hate to see a solid Long Island player who goes against tough HS competition have to RS, wonder if he will ever see the field and then just transfer somewhere else because Desko wants to be stubborn and play favoritism towards upperclassmen. Either that, or be stubborn and continue to play kids that haven't produced any fruit in their lacrosse careers thus far.

As far as I'm concerned, Quinn can lose his spot on the 2nd midfield line and get replaced by Aviles. I just dont see Quinn progressing or becoming any kind of elite midfielder at the D1 level, im sorry. ORRR, have the 2nd midfield line be the Kim bros + Magnan. If one of the twins or Magnan aren't producing or playing well, throw Aviles/Hill in.

Thats the one thing that has bothered me the last couple of years. Why are players like Lane, Simmons, Carlin, Quinn, Seebold who all have got a significant amount of playing time and have little to show in their lacrosse careers playing over some people on the roster who are sitting on the bench, redshirting or transferred out already? Is Desko actively trying to self sabotage? I'm sitting here trying to make it make sense lol. It's really not that difficult to switch around players and see who meshes well during the game.. look what happened when he gave Buttermore a shot. Magnan, the Kim bros, and Aburn have the same amount of points as Quinn/Seebold with only having played the last couple minutes of a couple games.

A lot to take in with this post. Some good points, but it’s awfully easy to sit back and play arm chair coach sometimes. If Desko hadn’t played these upper classmen, then we would spend our time complaining that we never saw enough of fill in the blank. It’s a balancing act and one made harder when you have such a large roster. But there are many many practices that we don’t see that the coaches are evaluating, and yes there are some really head scratching roster decisions over the years, but it’s important to remember we only get a small sample size to make our judgements on.

If you’d like to put Magnan/Kim’s/Aviles on the second line, then please tell us what we do with Buttermore and Lipka, two guys who could start for most teams in the country? I’d love to see what some of these younger kids can do, but we can’t just can’t dismiss these older guys cause they aren’t shiny and new anymore. Salcido is the perfect example of why it’s really hard to give up on a player early on their career.

Let the kids run and play. With the midfield depth in the shot clock era, running more than two lines of midfield should be beneficial, both in the short term (endurance) and long term (experience). When it comes to crunch time, play your ones and twos with fresher than normal legs because you can and have run a third line.

Quinn and Seebold have not shown much to date but neither has seen many minutes. As most know , former hindered by injuries, latter had few opportunities with good vets in front. Both were ranked in top twenty five along with Dordevic so not closing book on either despite . New season for all candidates to rise so lumping them in to that group

Who plays and when depends on need, stage and depth of team. Three years ago forum was complaining that staff was playing too many mids/lines which I agreed with as clear drop-off with some reserves.. Last year team had four good mids and Cook was being brought along. Kim seemed to be the one 18 mid generating some buzz in practice but none were ready to significantly contribute so not going to complain about the limited usage of one enigmatic r/s mid who had unrealized talent.

This year team will have five good established mids with Dordevic returning, only sr is Trimboli so four will return to field in 2020. They should play up to point of tiredness. Expect the aforementioned sophs to be ready to contribute some when called on.

Is there a need this year for a third line? Not much . Will a Lewandowski, Aviles, Woody have the opportunity to be the 6-7 or 8th over a now developed Kim , Fiorini or Magnan? Reality is several wont play soon or much despite talents. Same can be said for many other positions . This is how it is at many other top tier programs especially with ones with large rosters whether that be UNC or Maryland

As far as Aviles vid, he certainly looks the part and W/M breeds . Struck me as more as a dodging attackman than a mid. Shot from afar needs work. Expect him to vy for some minutes sooner than later whether it be at fogo, mid, att or ssdm

This guys trajectory seems pretty amazing. I hadn't seen much video until this season, but I did see a full game video from last season, and his improvement and increased production over that time has been great. He committed quite early. I'm really curious what the coaches saw in him back when he committed. I like guys like this who improve a lot in High School

This guys trajectory seems pretty amazing. I hadn't seen much video until this season, but I did see a full game video from last season, and his improvement and increased production over that time has been great. He committed quite early. I'm really curious what the coaches saw in him back when he committed. I like guys like this who improve a lot in High School

He really broke put his sr year, I think he was behind some pretty good guys and when they left he really got a chance to play. If he was up for a rs, he slips easily into the spot that Carino left with his decision to play QB.

Basically if he comes out of the gate like Tucker Dordevic blowing past longpoles, destroying corners and guys ankles, and nailing one handed shots on the run, he will see the field somewhat. We have so many guys at middie that are guaranteed to get us results that he will really have to be an instant stud to see consistent minutes there as a freshman. There will be less of a need in 2020 for desperate experimentation like in 2018 where we threw in freshman who were a little green in the gills when all else failed. He will be competing with like 5 other pretty great young guys for one or two spots on the second middie line.

After watching the highlights is seems like he could be a legit competitor for a spot. He has good size and strength and looks confident handling the ball. Not Curry levels of fast but doesn't seem like his speed will be a crutch like it appears to be at present with guys like Quinn and Seebold. He has a heck of stick too with some nice finesse around the crease. The competition in these clips is almost definitely not slouches since he's playing in the middle of long island. Also those accolades! Have to imagine there is a lot of competition for Suffolk County midfield of the year. If he comes in and he outperforms Quinn, the Kim twins, Fiorini, Lewandowski, etc. then I see no need to use a redshirt on him. After watching the film the fact that he faces off seems like an afterthought.

Isn't it kinda up to the kid and his family if he wants to redshirt? The discussion of who should redshirt always strikes me as pointless, because we have no idea what the kid and the family want. It's not like trying to predict who will be the starters. That's up to the coaches.

Both families and coaches have to agree to any expressed desire to redshirt by either party. Not a unilateral decision..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom