Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

Nov 10, 2021.
MDP.gif

Despite the way Syracuse’s 2021 season ended, with a loss to Georgetown in the NCAA Tournament, Spallina is still bullish on the Orange’s future.

“Think there are some really bright days ahead for Syracuse,” Spallina said. “I really can’t wait to play for coach Desko. Can’t wait to get there, do everything I can to help get Syracuse back into the Final Four.”

Despite the way Syracuse’s 2021 season ended, with a loss to Georgetown in the NCAA Tournament, Spallina is still bullish on the Orange’s future.

“Think there are some really bright days ahead for Syracuse,” Spallina said. “I really can’t wait to play for coach Desko. Can’t wait to get there, do everything I can to help get Syracuse back into the Final Four.”

Didn't have a lot of concern about him decomitting but this is always good to hear.

Didn't have a lot of concern about him decomitting but this is always good to hear.
I agree but the question is would a coaching change affect that? SI Syracuse did a great job of interviewing each ‘22 commit shortly after they verballed. Most of them mentioned their relationship with Desko & Rogers as playing a big role in their commitment. Everyone’s excited about the ‘22 offensive commits but it’s also going to be the best defensive group we’ve brought in in years.

I could very likely be naive, but if I'm Spallina, the recent troubles at SU only enhance my desire to go there more. As someone mentioned above, it is likely no one will wear 22 next year and the number has certainly been tarnished. Joey can come in with all the talent in the world and raise up a long standing power in the sport? Be the absolute alpha? Seems even more enticing to me. Add to that his class is stacked, so it's not as if he is looking at coming to the school with a bunch of average players.

That said, his relationship with Desko is big, but I truly don't see Desko being gone next year. Lelan may be asked to move on.