Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

Not sure what or who this is, but...

How the heck did you even find that? Perhaps this guy wanted to have an article ready to go if Joey commits here, odd to release it now and not a fan of trying to get out in front of what it a huge day for Joey and his family regardless of where he goes. Bad form.

Could be a situation where the post was written in advance in anticipation and then accidentally posted early. A Maryland one may exist too.

Ya that way my thought as well.

How the heck did you even find that? Perhaps this guy wanted to have an article ready to go if Joey commits here, odd to release it now and not a fan of trying to get out in front of what it a huge day for Joey and his family regardless of where he goes. Bad form.
We can certainly take it down from this site, (I definitely didn't want to ruin the moment) but, it is out there and being circulated on social media. It could also be totally wrong and just a guess.

Ya know its a potentially big day when even Tomcat finds his way over the lax board. The legend has checked in.
Jeremy my good man, I don't post here a lot but I check the board regularly and enjoy the banter. Lots of really knowledgeable people here.

Let's hope we keep the best player in the state here and he helps us win 4 NCs during his time on the hill. That would be pretty cool.

I was really impressed by his dad's coaching last year in the dome. He really knows his stuff.

We can certainly take it down from this site, (I definitely didn't want to ruin the moment) but, it is out there and being circulated on social media. It could also be totally wrong and just a guess.

Oh no that's fine, just was curious where you came across that. Ya hate to see stuff like that because one if SU is his choice (god willing) he should be the one to announce it and if he doesn't pick SU I am blaming the douche who released this, lol.

Curious, considering that many here and elsewhere thought Hiltz was second only to Oneil who may be the best prospect in a decade, is it a guarantee he would get the 22 when Scanlon graduates or even be a better prospect?

Curious, considering that many here and elsewhere thought Hiltz was second only to Oneil who may be the best prospect in a decade, is it a guarantee he would get the 22 when Scanlon graduates or even be a better prospect?
Not to get ahead of ourselves but, IMO, if Spallina comes here, he’s wearing #22. I’m not sure Scanlan uses his 5th “COVID” year so he’d leave prior to Spallina arriving. How this sits with Hiltz, who I choose to believe (no inside info) was offered the opportunity to wear #22, will be interesting, as he’d be a junior when Spallina arrives. I personally view Hiltz as an Ethan Walker/Wes Berg level talent who starts from Day 1 & becomes an All-American as an upperclassman & I view Joey on that same level. The stats that Hiltz put up against a national schedule at Culver plus a few games of international competition with Team Canada are, IMO, on par with what Spallina has done so far on Long Island & the club circuit.

Assuming Spallina comes, Cook uses his 5th year, & Scanlan doesn’t, I see our starting attack over the next few years as follows:

‘21- Scanlan, Rehfuss (QB), Hiltz, (Cook 4th)
‘22- Scanlan, Cook (QB), Hiltz
‘23- Spallina/Cook (interchangeable), Hiltz
‘24- Spallina, ?, Hiltz

Last edited:
  • 1983 - Sun Ho Lee
  • 1984-87 - Chris Baduini
  • 1988-90 - Gary Gait
  • 1991-94 - Charlie Lockwood
  • 1995-98 - Casey Powell
  • 1999-00 - Ryan Powell
  • 2001-04 - Mike Powell
  • 2006-09 - Dan Hardy
  • 2010 - Cody Jamieson
  • 2011-13 - JoJo Marasco
  • 2014-17 - Jordan Evans
  • 2020-?? - Chase Scanlan
Not everyone wore it all four years

Hiltz is an outstanding player from everything I have seen and heard. Keep in mind though as noted by Wboro that they are 2 years apart (assuming no more Covid cancellations) and he will be on his own path. I am not aware of SU promising Hiltz 22 but it could have happened, even Ryan Powell didn't wear 22 right away I believe. Hiltz has a very high ceiling and has been compared to Mikey but Spallina at his age could end up being a generational type talent. Doesn't mean he will be or that Hiltz can't have a better career because you never know. The great news is Hiltz is already in the fold and hopefully in a few hours Joey will be to. Add in a 5 star stud middie from Carthage in Kempney and this offense in a few years has the potential to be Gait era good if everybody pans out.

Kid has a 93 score on Inside Lacrosse. And while Inside Lacrosse scores and stars aren't everything-- it's still 3 points higher than Brennan O'Neil (while being 2 years younger); which should tell you something. Joey is a once in a generation kind of talent. Gary Gait, Mikey/Casey Powell legend status. No doubt in my mind he will get the 22 when Scanlan leaves, as he should! :p

Funny I just checked these guys out on Instagram and didn't see anything additional on Joey. When are they gonna post the predictions and other coverage at 645?

Hiltz is an outstanding player from everything I have seen and heard. Keep in mind though as noted by Wboro that they are 2 years apart (assuming no more Covid cancellations) and he will be on his own path. I am not aware of SU promising Hiltz 22 but it could have happened, even Ryan Powell didn't wear 22 right away I believe. Hiltz has a very high ceiling and has been compared to Mikey but Spallina at his age could end up being a generational type talent. Doesn't mean he will be or that Hiltz can't have a better career because you never know. The great news is Hiltz is already in the fold and hopefully in a few hours Joey will be to. Add in a 5 star stud middie from Carthage in Kempney and this offense in a few years has the potential to be Gait era good if everybody pans out.
Ryan didn't wear 22 his freshman year because Casey was still on the team.

Ryan didn't wear 22 his freshman year because Casey was still on the team.

Correct I was just pointing out he could have been promised it once it became available as per the other posters question.

Kid has a 93 score on Inside Lacrosse. And while Inside Lacrosse scores and stars aren't everything-- it's still 3 points higher than Brennan O'Neil (while being 2 years younger); which should tell you something. Joey is a once in a generation kind of talent. Gary Gait, Mikey/Casey Powell legend status. No doubt in my mind he will get the 22 when Scanlan leaves, as he should! :p

Tough to have once in a generation talent 2 out of 3 years. Lol, and the Macadorey kid who is the #1 in the 2021 class is unreal as well and all played for 91 Crush.

If I could choose I would take O'Neil out of the 3 of them in a heartbeat but either way it will be fun to watch. Fingers crossed.

Funny I just checked these guys out on Instagram and didn't see anything additional on Joey. When are they gonna post the predictions and other coverage at 645?
No idea-- I would assume sometime before 7 though haha. Wish they specified on their Insta.

Tough to have once in a generation talent 2 out of 3 years. Lol, and the Macadorey kid who is the #1 in the 2021 class is unreal as well and all played for 91 Crush.

If I could choose I would take O'Neil out of the 3 of them in a heartbeat but either way it will be fun to watch. Fingers crossed.
O'Neill gets the most hype, but if I had to choose I'd take Spallina. O'Neill is a bit more athletic and the safer bet to be a star, but IMO Spallina has the higher ceiling because of his Lax IQ. O'Neill still sometimes dodges himself into trouble; he reminds me a lot of Galasso in HS, but his vision/feeding ability is not at the same level that Galasso's was.

Spallina isn't quite as big or flashy, but he holds his own physically against most matchups and seems to process when/where to distribute the ball much quicker when the double and triple teams come.

Just took a scroll through his Instagram and there’s a ton of orange and even more 22. The 22 seems to be travel/club but I can’t help but like it.

B348861A-C32A-437C-903A-AE5F8246D247.gif