Class of 2022 - New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Joey Spallina (NY: Mt Sinai) Attack

He played college ball at Hofstra and is the assistant coach of the Adelphi men's lacrosse team.
Wow, I remember that dude from back when I was in high school in the late 90’s. I’d find a random Hofstra game on the SNY channel late night and he always stood out. He could flat out play.

Blast from the past... good find.

Hmmmm. Hate to be the trouble maker in that class.
Lol, I use to take my daughters to MLL games when they were little & she remembers him. She said he was real nice & gave her his autograph.

The hat
6AF2C9C6-9DD9-421A-960E-E740D12299D4.png
6648ED1C-AB2D-454A-9CE3-C4F90ED49352.png
763DD34D-3947-4F33-ADE4-D01E2C07F11E.png

Last edited:
Q. Do you feel that playing for such a strong program like Mt. Sinai has helped prepare you for when you take the field as a college athlete?

A. I think all of my lacrosse experiences playing team 91, as well as Mount Sinai have helped and will continue helping me be prepared to play in the best lacrosse conference in the country. All these experiences have allowed me to follow my dreams to wear 22 in the dome. Talk about the pressure of wearing 22? It’s a tremendous honor to be asked to wear the number 22 at Syracuse and one that I will not take lightly. I understand there is a lot of pressure that comes with wearing it but I won’t run from that and attack that pressure by preparing every day.

They actually have quite a bit of full game footage of Spallina from this summer if anyone is interested. I watched half of a game yesterday and man is he an exciting prospect.

Sometimes it feels like you are rolling the dice when you buy into a recruit whose main asset is not insane speed and ankle breaking quickness since you wonder how it will translate to the next level. With Spallina a big part of his talent is his IQ, passing ability, and vision, not just dodging ability alone. Anyone even hints at sliding to him and the ball is already in the stick of the guy they are thinking about leaving. Sometimes he just finds someone open before even dodging just from a couple extra heads turned his way. It's really quite impressive. While he has a different style overall, I could see his impact for us being similar to Jeff Teat. Think he is definitely more like him than Michael Sowers for instance. But who knows how he will look after two more years of high school ball. Exciting times!
Link to youtube channel here: Team 91 Smash

They actually have quite a bit of full game footage of Spallina from this summer if anyone is interested. I watched half of a game yesterday and man is he an exciting prospect.

Sometimes it feels like you are rolling the dice when you buy into a recruit whose main asset is not insane speed and ankle breaking quickness since you wonder how it will translate to the next level. With Spallina a big part of his talent is his IQ, passing ability, and vision, not just dodging ability alone. Anyone even hints at sliding to him and the ball is already in the stick of the guy they are thinking about leaving. Sometimes he just finds someone open before even dodging just from a couple extra heads turned his way. It's really quite impressive. While he has a different style overall, I could see his impact for us being similar to Jeff Teat. Think he is definitely more like him than Michael Sowers for instance. But who knows how he will look after two more years of high school ball. Exciting times!

Good analysis - I definitely think that Spallina has a Canadian-ness to his game. I know this is very high praise but, another poster made the comparison to Lyle Thompson and I think that is fair. Thompson likes to lead in with his body and initiate contact, Spallina definitely does the same thing. He also has tremendous vision and stick skills like Thompson. Obviously big shoes to fill, but there isn't a lot to dislike about his game.

I think some kids who are incredibly fast, or are hulking monsters physically can develop bad habits in high school because they aren't used to other kids being able to keep up with them. Then when they advance lots of other kids are just as big/strong, or just aren't intimidated. With Spallina, yes he'll face future college defenders who are bigger/stronger but I think his IQ will pay off and he'll still be able to put up a lot of points.

I watched the first 15 mins of the game against LI Express, and Spallina's first four touches led to a goal, an assist, and two passes two the doorstep that really should have been converted to goals. Kid is very very good. Thanks for posting.

These kids have played a lot this summer. Delaware is a restricted travel state. Do these kids just play one day, or is it multiple days and they just stay the night in PA or NJ to sidestep the restrictions?

IMG_1218.jpg

4 Oranges from the Project 9 Lacrosse event over the weekend! 1 is missing-- Jimmy was supposed to be at this event too, not sure why he wasn't in the picture. :):cool: