Class of 2024 - New Commit: Payton “Bear” Anderson (NY / CT: Brunswick), Midfield | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 New Commit: Payton “Bear” Anderson (NY / CT: Brunswick), Midfield

Can't quite remember the last time Syracuse recruited a player with this combination of size AND athleticism. Dordevic was obviously very athletic but Anderson seems much bigger. He just screams "ACC Athlete" which is something this team has lacked for a long while. Like Lexus pointed out he doesn't just overwhelm with his size/strength, he's also very nimble around the goal mouth and has a nice finesse to his game. Can also sling it from outside of course too.

This of course would be amazing. I had resigned myself that SU was probably not going to land a five star this recruiting cycle with all the talk of "lists", so it's nice to get on the board with one this early. Since Anderson is a lefty (like Colsey), I wonder how that could impact things? I'm sure coaches can figure out how to get multiple lefties on the field, but it did cross my mind. Fingers crossed.

Yup Anderson is a great player, great job by SU here, didn't really think we were on him less the school to land him. Overall I don't expect SU to be near the top classes and this should be a smaller overall class but hard not to like whats in teh fold already. 3 4 stars and an elite 5 start in Anderson. Would love to land Colsey and our friend from Mt. Sinai and a few others. Another FOGO is a must along with a couple more high end O guys.

Plays really well in traffic... great ability to keep his hands free. Nice, quick release. I've been out of the loop for a bit and haven't really explored the '24s but this looks like a really nice pick up.

Would be amazing if we could get some consistent inroads with Brunswick. First Borges and now this guy. Their team always looks insanely good. Probably a good sign that he committed to us even after the season last year. He knows the future is bright with the guys we have coming in.
This one is more shocking than Borges, because I believe he transferred into ‘Wick after committing out of LI. Anderson is more of a Brunswick pure and was on varsity as a FR which is unheard of given the program routinely sends all starters to D1 schools.

Cuse lacrosse is not talked abut in the Greenwich area and certainly not Brunswick. It’s UVA, Duke and Ivy-dense. This kid, I believe, does not live in the immediate area which I bet helped somewhat.

Last edited:
This one is more shocking than Borges, because I believe transferred into ‘Wick after committing out of LI. Anderson is more of a Brunswick pure and was on varsity as a FR which is unheard of given the program routinely sends all starters to D1 schools.

Cuse lacrosse is not talked abut in the Greenwich area and certainly not Brunswick. It’s UVA, Duke and Ivy-dense. This kid, I believe, does not live in the immediate area which I bet helped somewhat.
In hindsight his commitment makes sense for the same reasons as Borges's; he's from the Hudson Valley/Westchester.

The Fairfield County Brunswick kids all go Duke/UVA/Ivy, but the Syracuse brand still carries a lot of cache in Section I.

In hindsight his commitment makes sense for the same reasons as Borges's; he's from the Hudson Valley/Westchester.

The Fairfield County Brunswick kids all go Duke/UVA/Ivy, but the Syracuse brand still carries a lot of cache in Section I.

I have to imagine it helps that his club team is run by former SU attackman Chris Daniello.

Where do we envision him attack or midfield? Creates matchup problems at either position i assume. Id like to see him at attack, but the benefit of him at midfield and inverting is something I find fascinating.

What was the injury he had?

Ik this will also be based on need at the time he arrives and throughout the 4 years.

Welcome Payton!

7C852E49-1ACD-4855-B9DB-691DEBFDF60D.jpeg

Syracuse

No. 11 Payton Anderson, A/M, Brunswick (Conn.) | Prime Time

’Cuse invested in an outstanding 15-man ’22 class class and a talented ’23 group, shoring up the attack and defense for the future. As a result, there was a lot of curiosity about how the Orange would do with the 2024s, especially since recruiting often comes down to the numbers game.

Heading into 9/1, Syracuse’s most realistic shot at a five-star was Payton Anderson, and its biggest priority was said to be the midfield. On Sept. 12, the Orange landed the 6-2, 205-pound lefty from Hopewell Junction, N.Y., providing the program with another incredibly skilled offensive weapon — and an imposing one at that.

Anderson, who plays midfield for the Bruins and attack for Prime Time, might have the highest upside of anybody in the class. During the spring, it felt as though he was getting closer and closer to his potential, then in late May, Anderson dazzled at the Prep Nationals in front of a ton of recruiters. He suffered a shoulder injury soon after and miss the start of the summer circuit but, once he returned for his final three tournaments, there wasn’t anyone who could stop him from getting to his left hand and scoring at will — except for himself.

With Anderson’s blend of size and athleticism, skillset and ability to excel at attack or midfield, it’s easy to be bullish about his ceiling. He’ll have two years to work on his off-hand and day-to-day consistency before he gets to the Dome, where I could see the excitable midfield presence quickly becoming a fan favorite.

Payton Anderson ’24, attack, Brunswick / Prime Time – Syracuse – NLF No. 6 ’24

“Bear” is still a very apropos nickname for a lefty offensive player who can bounce between attack and midfield and simply maul defenders on the way to the cage. Injuries to Brunswick’s attack line have pushed the Syracuse verbal to the lefty attack spot and uh, yeah, that’s a good move. Side note: imagine your first midfield being so loaded that you can move a guy like this to attack and not skip a beat in the midfield. First-world Brunswick problems.

Anyway, Anderson was phenomenal for the Bears, scoring a pair of goals that showed what makes him a potential gamebreaker in the Dome. The goal in the video above was one where he ate checks like they were nothing before burying a 10-yarder on the run. If that’s not your cup of tea, there’s always his second goal, which looked a lot like this.

plowed-plow.gif

Anderson simply bullied his way to the rack before dunking the ball home despite a ton of contact. He also made pinpoint feeds throughout the day, perhaps none better than a back-post skip pass for a Max Warden (Brown) dunk. Anderson has better speed and footwork than you’d expect from a 6-2, 200-pounder, so he’s a veritable mismatch, particularly in high school.

Anderson is 19 in the video. Looks pretty darn impressive.

They are the best teams in CT. It will be a great game.

Edit: Payton is #19 for Brunswick.

Last edited:
They are the best teams in CT. It will be a great game.

Edit: Payton is #19 for Brunswick.
19 in cuse looks sick every time I see Simmons it looks awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom