Class of 2024 - New Commit: Payton “Bear” Anderson (NY / CT: Brunswick), Midfield | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 New Commit: Payton “Bear” Anderson (NY / CT: Brunswick), Midfield

Wow, typical Darien home cooking and a bizarre goal to win it.

Wow, typical Darien home cooking and a bizarre goal to win it.
100% FCIAC refs favoring the Blue Wave on the “crease violation.”

Not even close.

I just can’t believe the final shot went in. Weak hands from 18 yards out shout have been stopped.

100% FCIAC refs favoring the Blue Wave on the “crease violation.”

Not even close.

I just can’t believe the final shot went in. Weak hands from 18 yards out shout have been stopped.

I didn’t see it live but these photos show him pretty clearly outside the crease. Guess refs just dislike Syracuse or anything Syracuse adjacent this week.

I didn’t see it live but these photos show him pretty clearly outside the crease. Guess refs just dislike Syracuse or anything Syracuse adjacent this week.

Saw it live and on replay. Not even close.

Syracuse is a zero factor in anything Fairfield Country ref call related. For now!

Horrible call, but not sure where all this "typical Darien homecooking" is coming from. I'm from the area and have watched many a game at Darien/New Canaan/Wilton/Greenwich/Ridgefield, and I've never gotten a sense of ref bias at any of those venues.

Regardless Anderson looks terrific. Pokorny on the other end as well; shame Cuse wasn't able to leverage the legacy connection to secure him, but it'd be a tough sell to land both Anderson and Pokorny given they fill similar roles as physical lefty attackmen.

Horrible call, but not sure where all this "typical Darien homecooking" is coming from. I'm from the area and have watched many a game at Darien/New Canaan/Wilton/Greenwich/Ridgefield, and I've never gotten a sense of ref bias at any of those venues.

Regardless Anderson looks terrific. Pokorny on the other end as well; shame Cuse wasn't able to leverage the legacy connection to secure him, but it'd be a tough sell to land both Anderson and Pokorny given they fill similar roles as physical lefty attackmen.
Pokorny’s Dad played Lax at Cuse with Gait I believe.

Pokorny’s Dad played Lax at Cuse with Gait I believe.
Yup. Funny that the top 2 rated lefty attackmen in the 2024 class (according to IL at least) are program legacies that Cuse wasn't able to land, but the staff was able to go out and snag the #3 lefty attackman. Maybe the staff was higher on Anderson to begin with anyway.

Regardless all three of Colsey, Pokorny, and Anderson (all playing in Fairfield County to add to the coincidences) are terrific talents.

Yup. Funny that the top 2 rated lefty attackmen in the 2024 class (according to IL at least) are program legacies that Cuse wasn't able to land, but the staff was able to go out and snag the #3 lefty attackman. Maybe the staff was higher on Anderson to begin with anyway.

Regardless all three of Colsey, Pokorny, and Anderson (all playing in Fairfield County to add to the coincidences) are terrific talents.
The young talent in the FCIAC looks stacked. The junior and FR classes look deep and good.

They are biased against Anderson since he isn't going to Duke UVA or an Ivy ;)

Payton has a higher Ceiling and a higher Floor. Kid reminds me of a mix of Dearth and UPenns Handley. Massive dude already for a HS Junior. Kinda wish he would reclass to '23 lol.

Payton has a higher Ceiling and a higher Floor. Kid reminds me of a mix of Dearth and UPenns Handley. Massive dude already for a HS Junior. Kinda wish he would reclass to '23 lol.
I would say Pokorny has the highest floor. With his stick skills and shooting ability he will be at minimum a quality off-ball finisher. And even if he doesn't become an alpha at the next level, he'll be too good of a dodger to short stick.

Anderson probably has the highest ceiling based on his combination of size, strength, and speed. He's plenty skilled but a little rawer than the other two: he doesn't quite have the same repertoire of dodges and usually relies on the same combination of bull and speed dodges. If he can develop more variety the sky is the limit with his athletic traits.

Colsey is an interesting one as I think he's probably the most likely of the three to be a bust but also the most likely of the three to be an elite player. He's got great shake and I've seen him dust some of the best defensemen around, but I've also seen him be shutdown by poles before. Despite his smaller stature, he has an absolute hammer of a shot, and I could see him playing out of the box as an offensive midfielder even to make use of it.

I would say Pokorny has the highest floor. With his stick skills and shooting ability he will be at minimum a quality off-ball finisher. And even if he doesn't become an alpha at the next level, he'll be too good of a dodger to short stick.

Anderson probably has the highest ceiling based on his combination of size, strength, and speed. He's plenty skilled but a little rawer than the other two: he doesn't quite have the same repertoire of dodges and usually relies on the same combination of bull and speed dodges. If he can develop more variety the sky is the limit with his athletic traits.

Colsey is an interesting one as I think he's probably the most likely of the three to be a bust but also the most likely of the three to be an elite player. He's got great shake and I've seen him dust some of the best defensemen around, but I've also seen him be shutdown by poles before. Despite his smaller stature, he has an absolute hammer of a shot, and I could see him playing out of the box as an offensive midfielder even to make use of it.
Andersen seemed to disappear for long stretches yesterday. Could be still getting acclimated to attack as he had to switch from middle due to a team injury.

Pokorny seems like a bigger, more aggressive Hiltz.

In stature and demeanor, Anderson reminds me of Wisnauskas. He does seem too deferential to some of his teammates, but when he asserts himself, he seems very athletic much like Wisnauskas in his early years in hs. He plays on the same side as W. Could be a player.

I just discovered that Payton is the son of Rob Anderson, the former head lacrosse coach at my town's high school, Briarcliff NY. He became the coach in 2014, immediately elevated the program, and was NY State Coach of the Year in 2015. My sons graduated 1 and 3 years, respectively, before Anderson came aboard, so they never got to play for him. But I did watch several games where he coached, and got to observe him handle the team. I also met him a few times at after-season player/parent events, and had fairly lenghty conversations with him on lacrosse and other things,

The upshot from this is that Payton has both good genes and is likely a very highly dedicated athlete. He is a coach's son, his father currently heads up St. Lukes lax program in Newburg and his father is also a fitness trainer. Rob is very respectful and soft-spoken. But he is also very strongly driven, and held practices so long that the assistant coach had to talk him into shortening them after parents complained. I could see how this translates to Payton, both in terms of being very well mannered but very committed and highly conditioned. I imagine his father's work and training ethic helps explain his physical prowess. All this bodes well for Payton's and the Cuse's success

Lawrenceville won by 2 I believe. Didn’t see Payton in any of the highlights. Lax.com should post more by tomorrow.