Class of 2023 - New Commit: Trey Deere (PQ / CT: Salisbury) Attack | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 New Commit: Trey Deere (PQ / CT: Salisbury) Attack

Excuse me for not knowing all the acronyms but who is Brit?

Think he meant Birt, as in Birtwistle.

I am pretty sure Deere played some midfield for the Haudenosaunee. He's a lefty and I think he plays in a similar spot to Hiltz, so I'd be surprised if he gets on the field as an attackman to start. I could see him being a similar player to Leo this year, maybe a second line version of him.

There will essentially be three spots open with Cook, Kirst and Simmons moving on. I am guessing that Thomson most likely moves down to attack leaving three midfield spots open. Lots of possibilities.

Think he meant Birt, as in Birtwistle.

I am pretty sure Deere played some midfield for the Haudenosaunee. He's a lefty and I think he plays in a similar spot to Hiltz, so I'd be surprised if he gets on the field as an attackman to start. I could see him being a similar player to Leo this year, maybe a second line version of him.

There will essentially be three spots open with Cook, Kirst and Simmons moving on. I am guessing that Thomson most likely moves down to attack leaving three midfield spots open. Lots of possibilities.
Sorry.. yes that’s who I meant .. lol

If Thomson or Deere don’t take Kirst’s vacated spot I will riot.

Also gotta figure in the two middie transfers from Princeton that so many have speculated on. English and Stevens I believe. English could be a first line mid guy. Stevens I bet plays wing and some two way mid if he comes.

We really need to get the middle of the field DOGS. That is what we are lacking to be elite again. My favorite all time player is Joel White. Here was a guy who was a prolific high school scorer who they asked to pick up a long stick. The rest was history as I have never seen his equal with a LS. I wonder if we could do the same with all the talent we seem to have at the Offensive Middie position. Somebosy like a Cohen or a Rhoa who would be willing to sacrifice for the team and take their talent to a position that would win us more games.

If Thomson or Deere don’t take Kirst’s vacated spot I will riot.

Also gotta figure in the two middie transfers from Princeton that so many have speculated on. English and Stevens I believe. English could be a first line mid guy. Stevens I bet plays wing and some two way mid if he comes.
Deere is a lefty so he would not take Kirst's exact spot next year. English is a righty and not a stranger to the attack spot. Whether we like it or not he will certainly be a contender for it. With Thomson it depends on how the staff would feel about having two non-traditional dodgers on the attack line. Spallina has been getting it done there lately but it is not your average style of dodging from x. A big part of his game is his threat as a feeder. That is an even bigger part of Thomsons game right now. He is really not about dodging by his man and drawing slides with an effective move. Most of his points in 6v6 have come from excellent play in 2-man game situations, great offball finishing, and feeds when the D is not expecting it.

With English we would have a speedy dodger who could give anyone guarding him trouble 1v1. Similar to Kirst in that way but of course his dodging style is different. That is why we moved away from Simmons at attack. Simmons is a good deal less effective off the dodge and it felt like we didn't have enough at attack, even though the passing and finishing was rock solid with Simmons. Personally I think Thomson has so much talent that it doesn't matter if he doesn't do your traditional drawing slides all over the place. He is the type of talent you want to have on the field almost always. But the staff could view it differently and want that intimidating speed dodger.

Deere is a lefty so he would not take Kirst's exact spot next year. English is a righty and not a stranger to the attack spot. Whether we like it or not he will certainly be a contender for it. With Thomson it depends on how the staff would feel about having two non-traditional dodgers on the attack line. Spallina has been getting it done there lately but it is not your average style of dodging from x. A big part of his game is his threat as a feeder. That is an even bigger part of Thomsons game right now. He is really not about dodging by his man and drawing slides with an effective move. Most of his points in 6v6 have come from excellent play in 2-man game situations, great offball finishing, and feeds when the D is not expecting it.

With English we would have a speedy dodger who could give anyone guarding him trouble 1v1. Similar to Kirst in that way but of course his dodging style is different. That is why we moved away from Simmons at attack. Simmons is a good deal less effective off the dodge and it felt like we didn't have enough at attack, even though the passing and finishing was rock solid with Simmons. Personally I think Thomson has so much talent that it doesn't matter if he doesn't do your traditional drawing slides all over the place. He is the type of talent you want to have on the field almost always. But the staff could view it differently and want that intimidating speed dodger.
I was at the Hopkins game.. he was on attack for the first three quarters.. and I think he did very well

I've really liked having Kirst at attack. I'm really surprised to say that, but I think he's added a different dimension to the group. He's not the most sophisticated dodger but he gets the job done a lot of the time. With his size I don't think a lot of teams can simply put their biggest/most physical defenseman on Spallina each time. Personally I think it would be great if they could find someone in the portal who has the same sort of makeup. Easier said than done of course!

If Thomson makes the move to attack of course I don't think that would be bad either. He's a terrific player. I just like how this group seems to be able to shift from one style of play to the next. If a team is locked in on their ball movement, a player like Kirst or Spallina can create their own shot. Spallina seems key to all this. We shall see. Either way it's really exciting to have all this talent clicking together.

I've really liked having Kirst at attack. I'm really surprised to say that, but I think he's added a different dimension to the group. He's not the most sophisticated dodger but he gets the job done a lot of the time. With his size I don't think a lot of teams can simply put their biggest/most physical defenseman on Spallina each time. Personally I think it would be great if they could find someone in the portal who has the same sort of makeup. Easier said than done of course!

If Thomson makes the move to attack of course I don't think that would be bad either. He's a terrific player. I just like how this group seems to be able to shift from one style of play to the next. If a team is locked in on their ball movement, a player like Kirst or Spallina can create their own shot. Spallina seems key to all this. We shall see. Either way it's really exciting to have all this talent clicking together.

Agreed on Kirst, a shame he isn't a split second faster, would be an AA candidate, still has done a real nice job. Attack next year will be very interesting. I think SU may end up playing two lefties as I have been told they feel Deere is an attackmen, thought that may change when they actually get him on campus. One sort of outside change I could see is bumping Thomson and Leo to attack and Hiltz to middie. Sounds odd on the surface but Leo is more of a dodging threat then Hiltz and much like Thomson this year Hiltz would be playing middie in name only as he would likely play around GLE. The only issue with that is you have to be sure you have a big outside shooter be that Rhoa or one of the frosh or you bump Birtwistle back to the 1st line. If the English rumors are true he clearly would start on the 1st line with Birtwistle with the 3rd spot being wide open depending on what the team does with Leo/Thomson/Hiltz.

watched Kirst in the world games several times. He was primarily a feeder from x and gle. Very strong, he could open himself up for clear accurate passing lanes. Of course he played with great scorers. SU expects him to score and feed. He improves with every game.

I counted 4 goals and 1 assist for Deere in this one, including a very nice BTB at around the 3:30 mark.

Last edited:
Plenty to be excited about here. Very curious how he is utilized this season:

I am as well. Heard PT maybe hard to come by this season for him but that the future is bright. I wonder if we see him on man up. I know SU already has some great finishes on that unit but boy he seems tailor made.

This is where the portal works against you I would prefer to invest in a player who will be with the team for 4 years then grad student who has experience. It’s definitely a double edge sword when your playing to win now so I get both arguments

This is where the portal works against you I would prefer to invest in a player who will be with the team for 4 years then grad student who has experience. It’s definitely a double edge sword when your playing to win now so I get both arguments

Even if they didn't add Mule I am not sure Deere was looking at a starting spot for sure. He's a heck of a player and definitely worthy of his 5 star ranking but SU really was looking for more of a dodger/QB type for that last attack spot and Deere is not a guy who SU is gonna run out of the box at mid. I can see him rotating in at attack this year and hopefully getting some time on man up in preparation for a starting role next season.

Even if they didn't add Mule I am not sure Deere was looking at a starting spot for sure. He's a heck of a player and definitely worthy of his 5 star ranking but SU really was looking for more of a dodger/QB type for that last attack spot and Deere is not a guy who SU is gonna run out of the box at mid. I can see him rotating in at attack this year and hopefully getting some time on man up in preparation for a starting role next season.
Everything you say is true not arguing with you even a little bit. I’m just very gun shy in this day and age if talent feels slighted they are down the road to the next school with a bigger better deal.Its a long season I’m hopeful everyone will have opportunities

I am as well. Heard PT maybe hard to come by this season for him but that the future is bright. I wonder if we see him on man up. I know SU already has some great finishes on that unit but boy he seems tailor made.
Definitely gonna be hard to keep him off the field. The kid is so talented. The good thing having him as the 4th attack is god forbid and I mean god forbid an injury at attack and someone has to miss some time u have a kid like him who can jump right in and not miss a beat.

This guy is seriously good at highlight tapes. Here is another one of Marquis but it has quite a few nice plays from Deere Spallina and (hopefully future Orange) Jameson Bucktooth.

IMG_1434.jpeg

This guy is seriously good at highlight tapes. Here is another one of Marquis but it has quite a few nice plays from Deere Spallina and (hopefully future Orange) Jameson Bucktooth.

Marquis is a hell of a box player but has had trouble getting on the field at Hop in any sort of real capacity. With the Jays new mid field additions and English's brother a major breakout candidate plus Collision I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped in the portal after this year, there's no real path to PT.