New DC: Rocky Long (now official) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New DC: Rocky Long (now official)

You joined this board when it started in August of 2011...

GIF by Achievement Hunter
He was on our previous iterations of this site….which go back to about 2000.

He might be a better game coach than White, but can't imagine he is a big recruiter like White.
Assuming reports are right and Rocky is the new DC, I don’t think he will be a great recruiter either. He is 72 and from the west.

But I never saw Tony as a great recruiter. Monroe had always been the guy who lands out best players.

We lost a DC, not a recruiter. We need someone who can game plan, make in game adjustments, teach the scheme to the players and coaches and evaluate recruits and players. To me, Tony brought great value evaluating recruits and players. He made a lot of good calls regarding which players to start, and which recruits to offer. I am thinking Rocky is a much more logical and intelligent replacement than some random hired gun recruiter.

Assuming reports are right and Rocky is the new DC, I don’t think he will be a great recruiter either. He is 72 and from the west.

But I never saw Tony as a great recruiter. Monroe had always been the guy who lands out best players.

We lost a DC, not a recruiter. We need someone who can game plan, make in game adjustments, teach the scheme to the players and coaches and evaluate recruits and players. To me, Tony brought great value evaluating recruits and players. He made a lot of good calls regarding which players to start, and which recruits to offer. I am thinking Rocky is a much more logical and intelligent replacement than some random hired gun recruiter.
Winning will help recruiting. So for his shortcomings, swag D and a great defense will get the players. You’re spot on

I absolutely agree. I'd be thrilled with getting Long-was just pointing out a potential trade off. Everyone loves Beck, but if Monroe gets the 3-3-5 down well from Long and you combine it w/ his recruiting prowess, he could be a potential SU HC candidate down the road, too.

I absolutely agree. I'd be thrilled with getting Long-was just pointing out a potential trade off. Everyone loves Beck, but if Monroe gets the 3-3-5 down well from Long and you combine it w/ his recruiting prowess, he could be a potential SU HC candidate down the road, too.
Yes, I think a lot of us are hoping this kind of a progression will happen down the road.

Rocky is 72 so if he comes here, I would not expect him to coach for an extended period.

I agree about the coordinators and their expected recruiting prowess. White had been rated as an excellent recruiter at his previous stops and was obviously out on the road for us as we’ve seen but IMO recruiting should be secondary priority for the coordinator spots.

I would consider hiring Long and losing Anae to be be complete wash on the recruiting end of things. I don’t think Beck has ever been known as a bigtime recruiter but he has seemed to do well with identifying qb’s as well as developing them. We have one more spot to fill still though and this is where we can add some recruiting power If we choose to.

Not sure how it’ll play out but if Long is brought in there is potential for Long + new coach > Anae + White as recruiters.

I agree about the coordinators and their expected recruiting prowess. White had been rated as an excellent recruiter at his previous stops and was obviously out on the road for us as we’ve seen but IMO recruiting should be secondary priority for the coordinator spots.

I would consider hiring Long and losing Anae to be be complete wash on the recruiting end of things. I don’t think Beck has ever been known as a bigtime recruiter but he has seemed to do well with identifying qb’s as well as developing them. We have one more spot to fill still though and this is where we can add some recruiting power If we choose to.

Not sure how it’ll play out but if Long is brought in there is potential for Long + new coach > Anae + White as recruiters.
Agree on this. Hoping it helps address a long standing issue the program has had.

The defensive coaches have tended to be better recruiters than the offensive coaches.

The new coach on offense will presumably be a top recruiter and help us land better players on offense. That would be a great thing.

I don't think it will be Rocky.

New SI article about Arnett / Leach stated it was Long who recommended Arnett to Leach, after he had already been on the job at Syracuse for all of a week and a half.

Leach called Arnett from a local bar, and spent three plus hours to convince him to leave Cuse to head to Starkville.

New SI article about Arnett / Leach stated it was Long who recommended Arnett to Leach, after he had already been on the job at Syracuse for all of a week and a half.

Leach called Arnett from a local bar, and spent three plus hours to convince him to leave Cuse to head to Starkville.
And then consulted with Dino to get White who was so good he left for a better job

Dino’s been around - any HC is going to try to get his assistants to a better job.

He was on our previous iterations of this site….which go back to about 2000.
Ha. Yeah I realize that. I was on it probably starting in the early 2000's sometime. I just thought the idea of him not being active since before he even created his account on this version of the site was funny...and I wanted to use the GIF. :)

And then consulted with Dino to get White who was so good he left for a better job

Dino’s been around - any HC is going to try to get his assistants to a better job.
Could have suggested White to Leach ...

Rocky also suggested we hire Arnett…..

While we consider some great coordinators to not be great recruiters that can be somewhat irrelevant as long as you have guys on the staff that can recruit. Its much easier for those recruiting closers to recruit players to a system with great coordinators that are putting up numbers and W's. And Its pretty hard for even good recruiters to recruit to unsuccessful teams/units.

If we hire someone else, Monroe needs a big raise and a promotion. From what I see, he is crucial for recruiting. Hopefully he will know that if Long, it is for him to be ready to step into the role in 2-3 years. In the meantime, take care of him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom