New DC: Tony White | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

New DC: Tony White

If Bear and Black are the DEnds then I think you have to go Harper in the middle at 300lbs. My guess is that Bear mans the middle with Black (270) and Jonathan (255) on the outside. Harper spells Beat.

Who backs up the Ends? Tuazama (250) Munoz (255), and Rondi (255) seem like the best bets. Caleb Okechukwu (261) is a wildcard. Hope he's back for Spring. If not, then at what point is he a medical DQ.

After those guys we go really light. Richards (230), Dawson (240), Linton (215) and Goulebourne (200). The latter two might have to play OLB.

Really curious to see the spring roster and what kind of weight some of these guys have put on.
I could see Richards playing LB in this system and I'd bet Dawson is at least 25lbs heavier after a year in the S&C program.

FWIW was watching some ASU tonight. I noticed a lot less pre-snap movement on defense than SDSU. Found that interesting since the DC is obviously a Long disciple.
Good find. My guess is that the transition to 3-5 was going slow and they figured it would be less mistakes if they didnt move as much. I saw some interviews from players and it sounded like confusion was a part of the defensive struggles in 2018 season. I expect mistakes to happen this year. Just hope we gradually improve.

Good find. My guess is that the transition to 3-5 was going slow and they figured it would be less mistakes if they didnt move as much. I saw some interviews from players and it sounded like confusion was a part of the defensive struggles in 2018 season. I expect mistakes to happen this year. Just hope we gradually improve.
I read somewhere that it took about 4 years before the defense was 100% on board every time Rocky Long moved to a new team. I would assume we will have some major growing pains for a good while. Similar to or worse than the move to the Babers scheme on offense.

I read somewhere that it took about 4 years before the defense was 100% on board every time Rocky Long moved to a new team. I would assume we will have some major growing pains for a good while. Similar to or worse than the move to the Babers scheme on offense.
Then I guess it's good we hired the 39 y/o and not the 70 y/o :)

Which would indicate that Dino has been given assurances that he will have enough time to implement such major changes.

And Shafer had some moments himself.
Having the OC and DC talk to the press is a good thing.
they do the ESPN Syracuse weekly radio/podcast spots during the season.

Think this article with a few quotes from our new DC is the one you're referring to. Fantastic article (though long) about the 3-3-5.
Origin story of the 3-3-5 defense employed by ASU and SDSU

Think this article with a few quotes from our new DC is the one you're referring to. Fantastic article (though long) about the 3-3-5.
Origin story of the 3-3-5 defense employed by ASU and SDSU
That is it. I will say that the Arizona State defense improved from 2017 to 2018 and more so from 2018 to 2019. I posted numbers on this a while ago, when we first started discussing Rocky Long and this defense. Don't have time to look them up again but the info is out there on the board. If you look at the San Diego State defense over time, you see the same pattern of slow but steady incremental improvement year by year.

I think that is what will probably happen with our defense. The 3-3-5 is not a miracle cure that fixes dysfunctional defenses overnight. It is going to take time to get working 100%. We will probably see the most impact early against the worst offenses and go from there.

This brought to mind all of the pre-snap movement on offense during the GRob era. It was intended to create mismatches and confusion for the opposing defense, but in reality, it usually ended up with a mistake on offense, such as a missed blocking assignment or illegal procedure penalty (someone moved early, not enough players on the LoS, etc.).
As you state, the players seemed to be more focused on choreographing their movement and not enough on their responsibility once the ball was snapped.

This brought to mind all of the pre-snap movement on offense during the GRob era. It was intended to create mismatches and confusion for the opposing defense, but in reality, it usually ended up with a mistake on offense, such as a missed blocking assignment or illegal procedure penalty (someone moved early, not enough players on the LoS, etc.).
As you state, the players seemed to be more focused on choreographing their movement and not enough on their responsibility once the ball was snapped.
Good points

That is it. I will say that the Arizona State defense improved from 2017 to 2018 and more so from 2018 to 2019. I posted numbers on this a while ago, when we first started discussing Rocky Long and this defense. Don't have time to look them up again but the info is out there on the board. If you look at the San Diego State defense over time, you see the same pattern of slow but steady incremental improvement year by year.

I think that is what will probably happen with our defense. The 3-3-5 is not a miracle cure that fixes dysfunctional defenses overnight. It is going to take time to get working 100%. We will probably see the most impact early against the worst offenses and go from there.
Facts. There will be some what the heck moments.

I think Tuazama is going to have some big moments this season. I bet he gets to the 6'5 260-275 range before season start. Perfect size for the DE spot.

I think Tuazama is going to have some big moments this season. I bet he gets to the 6'5 260-275 range before season start. Perfect size for the DE spot.
Tua!

Not sure I follow. Your in depth response has left me confused

im not confused. Pretty simple answer to a pretty simple question.

If Bear and Black are the DEnds then I think you have to go Harper in the middle at 300lbs. My guess is that Bear mans the middle with Black (270) and Jonathan (255) on the outside. Harper spells Bear.

Who backs up the Ends? Tuazama (250) Munoz (255), and Rondi (255) seem like the best bets. Caleb Okechukwu (261) is a wildcard. Hope he's back for Spring. If not, then at what point is he a medical DQ.

After those guys we go really light. Richards (230), Dawson (240), Linton (215) and Goulebourne (200). The latter two might have to play OLB.

Really curious to see the spring roster and what kind of weight some of these guys have put on.
i dont see it for harper but maybe he hits a development stride. Black kind of is what he is at this point but maybe he can thrive as a 5 tech

kid has the tools for sure

Agree, he's tailor made for the DE position.

We had a lot of the same issues with DeLeone's system as far as false starts, procedure, delay of game, burning TOs.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't bring in any GA's from ASU or SDSU as Defensive Analysts to help White teach the Defense. Heck, Gilbert got a guy (albeit one w/ Babers ties) and he's going to run basically the same offense as last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom