New Dome Locker Room | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

New Dome Locker Room

Nobody is that stupid to expect Alabama/Ohio St type STATE FUNDED facilities, duh. Insulting to one's intelligence, frankly. Nobody is saying that. It's about merely keeping up with your peers. Private schools with little or no tradition such as Vandy, Northwestern, even RICE(!) are doing more. These are academic powerhouses where winning has never been a priority.

I'm definitely happy about the progress. Satisifed? Certainly not. Why the hell should we be? The coaches also have been mostly underpaid here historically compared to their peers especially a guy like Boeheim. It's a small step in the right direction. Should we all be satisfied that we are finally in the ballpark (the lower end) compared to our peer schools? I don't think that is being unfair. Like I said, it's a step in the right direction.

Keeping up with the jones'? Really? These lockers are at least 10 years late. Tired of the let the ACC $$$ roll in. Sorry, its been rolling in for what 4 years now. Before that, we had BE $$$. All we heard was that the infrastructure of the dome couldn't, wouldn't allow for a reno. Now, this high school job with higher ceilings. So the facility, dome thing was an excuse. Glad something got done, but its easily a decade late.

To whoever was complaining about the school's spending:

Interest rates are near historic lows. Borrowing money is about as cheap as it's ever going to be. What would you rather the school do, build for future needs while money is cheap or wait until the school is at a crisis point and hastily build when interest rates are high?

To whoever was complaining about salaries:

Salaries are dictated by the market. If we cut salaries or low ball, we'll lose our best professors, and we won't be able to attract top tier professors. Do you want that?

To those who are complaining about the lockers:

I'm honestly underwhelmed, too. But we're on the verge of re-doing the entire Dome. There's a pretty good chance that the school is going to let that renovation play out before it would even consider building something major that might get torn down. Relax.

Still, I think the school should buy a couple flat screens, put some images on the walls (i.e. wall stickers), and maybe make some minor changes to the lighting (very minor).

Good post, but yes, its awesome that the entire dome is being redone. Thing is, the LR is 20-25 years outdated. Have heard excuse after excuse. This pedestrian reno could have been done 10-15 years ago.

Good post, but yes, its awesome that the entire dome is being redone. Thing is, the LR is 20-25 years outdated. Have heard excuse after excuse. This pedestrian reno could have been done 10-15 years ago.
10-15 years ago we were making Big East money.

It could have been done 30 years ago. We could also have ponies to take us from the tailgates to the game.

I'd like to know what you would have done differently with the finite space that they have to use.

Keeping up with the jones'? Really? These lockers are at least 10 years late. Tired of the let the ACC $$$ roll in. Sorry, its been rolling in for what 4 years now. Before that, we had BE $$$. All we heard was that the infrastructure of the dome couldn't, wouldn't allow for a reno. Now, this high school job with higher ceilings. So the facility, dome thing was an excuse. Glad something got done, but its easily a decade late.

I'm not disagreeing.

It could have been done 30 years ago. We could also have ponies to take us from the tailgates to the game.

I'd like to know what you would have done differently with the finite space that they have to use.
I'll take a stab at this.
A huge led block s or cuse hanging from the ceiling.
A rug in the actual color shades the school uses. Better lockers that have USB plugs and iPads built into them.
Pictures of past su greats hanging on the walls
That's just off the top of my head. wouldn't have added to much more cost but would have gone a long way.

A rug in the actual color shades the school uses. Better lockers that have USB plugs and iPads built into them.
That's just off the top of my head. wouldn't have added to much more cost but would have gone a long way.
I would think that something is going to happen with the Dome in the next couple years. How much money should they spend on a locker room that might get used for another 14-21 home games if they are going to tear it all up and renovate everything again?

What? The space has been the excuse for years, now, all of the sudden after the viral LR Dino vid after VT, the space is suddenly there and it gets done. It was simply overlooked for decades.

What? The space has been the excuse for years, now, all of the sudden after the viral LR Dino vid after VT, the space is suddenly there and it gets done. It was simply overlooked for decades.
They renovated the locker room. Do you think they tunneled into the side of the hill to add more square feet to the locker room?

I'm sure you'll see pictures of former players

LED lighting would be cool, but not a hanging S. just would seem strange

They all have iPads already.

"18K students at 58K per" how many people do you think work at SU and how much do you think they are making? And thats just to pay salaries before all the other expenses for employees and cost of running 100+ buildings and mowing the lawn, etc..

Are you really defending a University with a BILLION dollar academic budget that NEEDS and additional 0.85% of their budget to come from athletics?

Seriously?

If you NEED 0.85% more money to balance the books on a $1 Billion dollar budget, you are sorely mis-managed and need serious help. You could just as easily change the toilet paper to a different brand in all the buildings and it would probably be more than that to the bottom line.

Last edited:
They renovated the locker room. Do you think they tunneled into the side of the hill to add more square feet to the locker room?

You are entirely missing the point. Its been previously argued that the low ceilings were bc of the dome structure. The new locker room's prime feature is higher ceilings.

Why is it every time I come back to this thread I feel like I'm in an episode of "The Twilight Zone". Maybe if I post this article from 2012 some of you might get the point that many have been trying to make...the locker room in the Dome is for GAME DAY ONLY. This is not the facility that the players use every day. The locker room and facilities in Iocolano-Petty is where they spend most of their time and is comparable to other schools in our conference.

Renovations to Syracuse University football wing detailed

Syracuse, NY -- Syracuse University will spend $5 million to improve the Iocolano-Petty Football Wing at Manley Field House.

Upgrades will be made to the football locker room, athlete lounge, cafeteria, Hall of Fame lobby and team auditorium in the facility that is the center of the program’s day-to-day operation, the university said today in a post on its athletics web site.

The football wing was built onto Manley in 1990 and the strength and conditioning facility was added in 2005. This project is expected to be finished prior to the start of the 2012 football season.

In the end, it'll be up to 17 year old kids, whether they are impressed or not(regardless if it's a game day room).

I think everyone can agree, that if they knock the dome Reno out of the park, there are going to be some very impressed recruits...and fans.;-)

That Texas team that just built the fancy locker room for 2018:
Back to back 5-7 seasons
2017 avg recruit grade: .8758 (18)
2018 avg recruit grade: .9303 (18)

Nice jump.(sure, there are other factors, and subject to change)

2016:. .9007
2015:. .8943
2014:. .8809
2013:. .9007

Last edited:
In the end, it'll be up to 17 year old kids, whether they are impressed or not(regardless if it's a game day room).

I think everyone can agree, that if they knock the dome Reno out of the park, there are going to be some very impressed recruits...and fans.;-)

Back to back 5-7 seasons
2017 avg recruit grade: .8758
2018 avg recruit grade: .9303

True. I definitely think the Dome reno/redux is going to be very attractive and a major move. Charlie Strong just was a disaster there. Can't lose to Kansas. That Tom Herman is a slam dunk hire. The guy is just outstanding. He's going to turn them around quickly. Too much talent. I'm a little concerned with that game for my Trojans.

Back to back 5-7 seasons

Exciting new offensive minded HC is a pretty big factor

Back to back 5-7 seasons

Just a question, serious one...

When was the last time Syracuse University "knocked it out of the park" with anything in athletics?

When was the last time Syracuse University "knocked it out of the park" with anything in athletics?

Ahh...the indoor practice facility. Remember that one? Or the Melo Center. And if you don't think so, go support Alabama or some other godforsaken factory.

Ahh...the indoor practice facility. Remember that one? Or the Melo Center. And if you don't think so, go support Alabama or some other godforsaken factory.
Syracuse University started playing baseball since 1870 (since dropped), Football since 1889, basketball since 1889, lacrosse team was founded in 1916...

And the first time Syracuse "knocked it out of the park" was 2009 when the Melo center opened, 8 years ago.

The IPF is nice, granted but didn't "knock it out of the park" by any stretch. It brought us up to respectable.

So going by the track record so far, let's see...I would say that in the 147 years of Syracuse athletics they have "knocked it out of the park" with the Melo Center and the Carrier Dome in 1980 (you forgot that one).

So 2 times in 147 years...you tell me, is that a good track record of "knocking it out of the park"?

What is you confidence level in the next plan for the Dome renovation knowing that?

Syracuse University started playing baseball since 1870 (since dropped), Football since 1889, basketball since 1889, lacrosse team was founded in 1916...

And the first time Syracuse "knocked it out of the park" was 2009 when the Melo center opened, 8 years ago.

The IPF is nice, granted but didn't "knock it out of the park" by any stretch. It brought us up to respectable.

So going by the track record so far, let's see...I would say that in the 147 years of Syracuse athletics they have "knocked it out of the park" with the Melo Center and the Carrier Dome in 1980 (you forgot that one).

So 2 times in 147 years...you tell me, is that a good track record of "knocking it out of the park"?

What is you confidence level in the next plan for the Dome renovation knowing that?
1. Your argument is ridiculous
2. Add Archbold Stadium to your list

Wow, the season needs to start. These threads can become absolutely ridiculous. No one even complained about the dome locker rooms prior to Dino's speech. You would think with the level of complaining in this thread some of you put up 500k to fund this renovation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom