New Dome Locker Room | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New Dome Locker Room

View attachment 108220 View attachment 108221 That's a great article comparing the project to that awesome Vancouver stadium rebuild. Thanks to whomever made that post.

I hope a decision and plan is expedited ASAP. The Dome is only 4-5 years younger than the Kingdome and Pontiac Silverdome!! We saw how decrepit and dated those became in their twilight. It's just bad for everybody to keep using that venue in the same fashion, IMO. The Dome isn't some fieldhouse/retro/nostalgic venue such as Cameron/Phog/Hinkle that transcends time. It's a concrete box that is losing it's mojo and lore every passing minute much like how it was for our two old friends in Pontiac and Seattle. I can only imagine the reaction of our players going into Yum, John Paul Jones, PEC, Lane Stadium, etc. I don't care what they have to do or that it will change the skyline of the city/campus forever by removing that roof. I'm sure plenty of posters feel the Dome is fine and still embrace it like it is the early 80s how it hit the scene with a bang as a revolutionary new venue for college. Northwestern isn't probably a fair comparison but they are doing some incredible stuff on campus. $260M athletic complex to open in 2018, Welsh-Ryan Arena is getting a $110M renovation. They just finished a couple of years ago the new Bienen School of Music/Communication...$117M. I just walked by it last winter. Incredible. Other monster projects were recently completed as well.

Incidentally, I drove past what's left of the Silverdome last week when I was in that area. Eerie. The Palace as well. SO far out from the city. Silverdome especially. We're talking an hour easy. I'll leave a few parting images of what we don't want the Dome to become before they decide on a plan. I'm also including a pic of the Silverdome now. Cheers.

Kudos to northwestern, but they aren't paying for those things. Alumni and donors put up most if not all of the money. That's SUs biggest problem with any of these projects. We do a poor job getting major donors.

View attachment 108220 View attachment 108221 That's a great article comparing the project to that awesome Vancouver stadium rebuild. Thanks to whomever made that post.

I hope a decision and plan is expedited ASAP. The Dome is only 4-5 years younger than the Kingdome and Pontiac Silverdome!! We saw how decrepit and dated those became in their twilight. It's just bad for everybody to keep using that venue in the same fashion, IMO. The Dome isn't some fieldhouse/retro/nostalgic venue such as Cameron/Phog/Hinkle that transcends time. It's a concrete box that is losing it's mojo and lore every passing minute much like how it was for our two old friends in Pontiac and Seattle. I can only imagine the reaction of our players going into Yum, John Paul Jones, PEC, Lane Stadium, etc. I don't care what they have to do or that it will change the skyline of the city/campus forever by removing that roof. I'm sure plenty of posters feel the Dome is fine and still embrace it like it is the early 80s how it hit the scene with a bang as a revolutionary new venue for college. Northwestern isn't probably a fair comparison but they are doing some incredible stuff on campus. $260M athletic complex to open in 2018, Welsh-Ryan Arena is getting a $110M renovation. They just finished a couple of years ago the new Bienen School of Music/Communication...$117M. I just walked by it last winter. Incredible. Other monster projects were recently completed as well.

Incidentally, I drove past what's left of the Silverdome last week when I was in that area. Eerie. The Palace as well. SO far out from the city. Silverdome especially. We're talking an hour easy. I'll leave a few parting images of what we don't want the Dome to become before they decide on a plan. I'm also including a pic of the Silverdome now. Cheers.
Thunder Dome

Kudos to northwestern, but they aren't paying for those things. Alumni and donors put up most if not all of the money. That's SUs biggest problem with any of these projects. We do a poor job getting major donors.

That's my impression as well which needs to change. I didn't want to get into all that and the fundraising fails. When they dip into the endowment then theirs is also close to $10 Billion more, I believe.

Last edited:
2014 -
Revenue: $820M
Expenses: $833M
Try using math...
View attachment 108208
Looks like the university has good revenue growth but poor expense control.

It would be interesting to see where their largest expense growth is coming from. I saw some fairly bloated salaries for some of the top officials at the university. $500k a year is a super high salary for a non-profit school with the relatively low cost of living that CNY offers.

I'd probably take a hatchet to those bloated salaries. They're definitely not doing a great job of controlling the bottom line that would warrant that high of a salary.

That's my impression as well which needs to change. I didn't want to get into all that and the fundraising fails. If they need to dip into an endowment then theirs is also close to $10 Billion more, I believe.
Endowments are also just an aggregation of donations as I am sure you already know.

The goal for endowments is typically to manage them to keep pace with inflation after a ~4-5% withdrawal rate. So, in real terms the endowment is just the total aggregation all donations over time. A magnified proof point of their superiority in generating funds from their stakeholders.

You're exactly right about the donations. Many of these projects are funded in large part by donations and we just can't seem to figure out how to get that train rolling.

I hope a decision and plan is expedited ASAP. The Dome is only 4-5 years younger than the Kingdome and Pontiac Silverdome!! We saw how decrepit and dated those became in their twilight. It's just bad for everybody to keep using that venue in the same fashion, IMO. The Dome isn't some fieldhouse/retro/nostalgic venue such as Cameron/Phog/Hinkle that transcends time. It's a concrete box that is losing it's mojo and lore every passing minute much like how it was for our two old friends in Pontiac and Seattle. I can only imagine the reaction of our players going into Yum, John Paul Jones, PEC, Lane Stadium, etc. I don't care what they have to do or that it will change the skyline of the city/campus forever by removing that roof. I'm sure plenty of posters feel the Dome is fine and still embrace it like it is the early 80s how it hit the scene with a bang as a revolutionary new venue for college. Northwestern isn't probably a fair comparison but they are doing some incredible stuff on campus. $260M athletic complex to open in 2018, Welsh-Ryan Arena is getting a $110M renovation. They just finished a couple of years ago the new Bienen School of Music/Communication...$117M. I just was in it last winter. Incredible. Other monster projects were recently completed as well.

I think retro and nostalgia are in the eye of the beholder. I've never been to Cameron Indoor, but people that have say it's nothing special in and of itself. It's the games that have taken place there, the atmosphere created by the people, and the continued success of the team that make it what it is. If Duke spent 20 years sucking and the place was half full, I think people that weren't around for the glory days would wonder what was so special about it.

The Dome needs to be upgraded, there's no doubting that. If our football team were to reach and maintain a high level of success for multiple generations it could reach iconic status. That type of thing only happens over time.

Do you have any idea what the disconnect is between the university and it's wealthy alumni? What is the difference between SU and some of these other schools?

Do you have any idea what the disconnect is between the university and it's wealthy alumni? What is the difference between SU and some of these other schools?
We have an endowment of over a billion dollars (it's roughly the same size as Iowa's endowment and bigger than Louisville's for comparison), I think the main donors just don't care as much about the football team.

Edit: correction, it is not bigger than MSU's endowment. MSU has a 2 billion dollar endowment.

Last edited:
I think retro and nostalgia are in the eye of the beholder. I've never been to Cameron Indoor, but people that have say it's nothing special in and of itself. It's the games that have taken place there, the atmosphere created by the people, and the continued success of the team that make it what it is. If Duke spent 20 years sucking and the place was half full, I think people that weren't around for the glory days would wonder what was so special about it.

The Dome needs to be upgraded, there's no doubting that. If our football team were to reach and maintain a high level of success for multiple generations it could reach iconic status. That type of thing only happens over time.
Sort of like the U's old Orange bowl stadium? IIRC that place was a shthole and opponents hated playing there and the convicts reveled in it.

Start winning and the $$ will come. The Univ needs to do a much better job of athletic fundraising from major donors but the fundamental problem is the lack of wins over the last 20 years. We went too far down almost into irrelevancy. I love the current trajectory and we just need to keep it going. All good things to those who wait.

Start winning and the $$ will come. The Univ needs to do a much better job of athletic fundraising from major donors but the fundamental problem is the lack of wins over the last 20 years. We went too far down almost into irrelevancy. I love the current trajectory and we just need to keep it going. All good things to those who wait.
Although winning helps fundraising and fundraising helps winning, they are separate issues I believe.

We were winning quite a bit in both major revenue sports (in which we already had a robust history) for almost 2 decades (80's & 90's) but the fundraising was still relatively weak.

Also, there are plenty of schools with weak football tradition who do a much better job fundraising than SU, so it must not all hinge on the gridiron.

Cuse has a handful of elite academic programs, a strong athletic tradition, a well known brand and a wealthy alumni base. We should be doing much better in this category.

This looks like a HS visitor's locker room compared to the rest of the cfb landscape.

23300201-mmmain.jpg

Agree, not quite sure why this wasn't done 6-8 years ago, or sooner. Higher ceilings? Reallly? You mean like players dont have to watch out for pipes like the current locker room? Geez, with ACC $$$ rolling in for a few years now, the lack of attention to the locker room is just mind boggling. The only reason this got done is bc if the VT, Dino vid.

Yawn, the fact this kinda pedestrian locker room wasnt done way back in the day, 2000, is crazy. This design is texas or cali HS level. And, just proven that it was possible with the current dome structure. Its embarrassimg when you look at Big East $$$$ , never mind ACC!!!

I want the 'S' to be bigger and oranger.

Agree, they didn't even get the color of the S correct. Just amazes me. Something we needed YEARS ago and the fact we have landed some recent studs after they walked through out basement like locker room, is actually astounding:)

Sometimes it's better to bite one's tongue than to debate with people who never gave a dime to begin with.

Oh, are you saying that you have to be a donar to have an issue with the facilities? Specifically our embarrassing LR situation. If so, that's way off base.

Oh, are you saying that you have to be a donar to have an issue with the facilities? Specifically our embarrassing LR situation. If so, that's way off base.

No you don't have to be. But you can sit there and complain or try to help be a solution to the problem. I take those who are trying to provide a solution a little more seriously.

No you don't have to be. But you can sit there and complain or try to help be a solution to the problem. I take those who are trying to provide a solution a little more seriously.

Not sure what people on the board, who arent huge donors and dont have a say in the matter, can do? Thus most of us on here dont know the inner cuse athletic department politics, THUS , have a beef. Not sure you need to be close to the program to realize even Big East $$$, should have made the locker room at least what was shown today. It's that simple.

Can't all be winning related. Northwestern is making huge upgrades all over. Rice and Vanderbilt have had better locker rooms for instance. I can go on and on.

Not sure what people on the board, who arent huge donors and dont have a say in the matter, can do? Thus most of us on here dont know the inner cuse athletic department politics, THUS , have a beef. Not sure you need to be close to the program to realize even Big East $$$, should have made the locker room at least what was shown today. It's that simple.

Not saying you have to be a huge donor, but as I said, you can either complain or try to help solve the problem within your means. Plus by donating, you can say where you want the money to go. I'm certainly not a huge donor, but I do what I can to support the program, especially since I live long distance and can't support in person at the games. Yes I'm curious where the ACC money is going, but there are schools in conferences that make a lot more money than the ACC who still rely heavily on donations.

Not saying you have to be a huge donor, but as I said, you can either complain or try to help solve the problem within your means. Plus by donating, you can say where you want the money to go. I'm certainly not a huge donor, but I do what I can to support the program, especially since I live long distance and can't support in person at the games. Yes I'm curious where the ACC money is going, but there are schools in conferences that make a lot more money than the ACC who still rely heavily on donations.

Love your insight and TY. but geez, there seems to be a disconnect when we are building statues outside, when the real estate that every recruit is interested in and current players roaming daily, gets blown off. Really, not interested in well this went here and this had to go there. Its obvious why DM left. And its miraculous we are have recruited as well as we have. Yup, even give SS credit with the setup he was given.

Love your insight and TY. but geez, there seems to be a disconnect when we are building statues outside, when the real estate that every recruit is interested in and current players roaming daily, gets blown off. Really, not interested in well this went here and this had to go there. Its obvious why DM left. And its miraculous we are have recruited as well as we have. Yup, even give SS credit with the setup he was given.

Incidentally, I didn't mean to if I came across too strongly. We pretty much agree that there needs to be improvement with the facilities although I'm encouraged we at least have a start with the locker rooms.

Last edited:
Way to go out on a limb. Most D2 and D3 lockers were more impressive. Seriously, the fact this locker room was in the shape it was and now this bandaid, is a joke .
I agree with your comment but let's start here and see what happens. Wins bring $ and more goodies for the facilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom