New Football Only NIL Fund | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Football Only NIL Fund

Because it's our personal money and we should be able to have a complete say in who benefits. It's not rocket science. If there isn't transparency people will stop donating.

Orange United has been pretty transparent??????

The football only collective is claiming they haven’t but haven’t said what they aren’t being transparent about?

If you want to donate to football only so be it? If you want to donate to Orange United, do it?

Not sure why we need the football only one to be targeting Orange United?

The donors these two groups are looking to get money from our vastly different.

They both can exist and help Syracuse Athletics

Because it's our personal money and we should be able to have a complete say in who benefits. It's not rocket science. If there isn't transparency people will stop donating.
The only way that the football collective is sending 100% is if they are privately funding the administrative needs for it or doing it themselves pro bono. This stuff doesn’t happen on its own. OU has a staff to handle that like most Charitable Organizations and like most Charitable Organizations there is a portion that goes to Administrative costs.

OU also has a website and member portal and again, those things don’t happen for free.

The only people this is controversial to are those the same people that somehow expect Charitable Organizations to function without any costs.

Last edited:

The football only collective is claiming they haven’t but haven’t said what they aren’t being transparent about?

If you want to donate to football only so be it? If you want to donate to Orange United, do it?

I also think most of this criticism is coming from folks that aren’t even current Orange United donors.

Thanks for the concern but I’m comfortable with where my money is going lol.

And I think there is a subset of folks in society in general that are conspiracy theorists and we’re running into some of that too.

The only way that the football collective is sending 100% is if they are privately funding the administrative needs for it or doing it themselves pro bono. This stuff doesn’t happen on its own. OU has a staff to handle that like most Not For Profits and like most Not For Profits there is a portion that goes to Administrative costs.

OU also has a website and member portal and again, those things don’t happen for free.

The only people this is controversial to are those the same people that somehow expect Not for Profits to function without any costs.
Not for profit is a tax status not a business plan. And I ran one for 30 years.

Not for profit is a tax status not a business plan. And I ran one for 30 years.
I changed it to Charitable Organizations - happy now?

Call them whatever you want, the point is they need administrative funds to function.

Pay wall- who are the local business owners involved?

Right. And they themselves didnt commit to giving more than 85% of the funds to athletes either. They claimed they'll have a GM, etc. So it's not 100 percent vs 85 percent like others stated.

Also this isn't a good look:

Syracuse.com obtained a cease-and-desist letter sent by the football collective to Orange United. The letter said that SU Football NIL’s consulting contracts with the 16 football players were exclusive and asked for their names to be removed from the website.

This is where they need to tap into micron. football and basketball players are minorities which the company strongly values so there should be an interest in paying these kids.

And then in 10 years: the Micron Dome
Seems like a bit of wishful thinking.

The football only collective is coming off kind of petty and trying to be kings tbh. I understand the approach but the sandbox is big enough for all.

Late last year I learned of this collective. Despite my potential level of contribution not being anywhere near their target audience, when I spoke with them they were happy to share info and goals. Additionally they made me aware of Orange United and Athletes Who Care, both of who I had already heard of but did contribute to. Following our conversation I decided to contribute to Athletes Who Care and they directly introduced me to someone there.

My point being on my interaction alone they were supportive of the other SU collectives and no way came off as trying to be kings.

Seems like a bit of wishful thinking.
With the federal subsidies they’re expecting this type of NIL support would be pocket change.

In reading about the football-only collective, it makes me wonder what was so bad about what Adam Weitsman was doing? I hope Adam gets back in the game for Cuse.
I think it was reported here that when the NCAA was going over what wasn't allowed in NIL, they uswed Adam as an example. We have had enough trouble with the NCAA

With the federal subsidies they’re expecting this type of NIL support would be pocket change.
But why would they bother? It’s not their wheelhouse.

The football only collective is coming off kind of petty and trying to be kings tbh. I understand the approach but the sandbox is big enough for all.
I am sure there are some fans of only football, but I love hoops even more and i kind of like lacrosse although I never knew a thing about it until I went to Syracuse. I think I picked up a stick once and tried to play a pickup game with some guys in the dorm who played in high school I was quickly disinvited. If someone wants to giv et one sport over another I say let them, but I am concerned some of our programs will be left in the dust.

The only way that the football collective is sending 100% is if they are privately funding the administrative needs for it or doing it themselves pro bono. This stuff doesn’t happen on its own. OU has a staff to handle that like most Charitable Organizations and like most Charitable Organizations there is a portion that goes to Administrative costs.

The only people this is controversial to are those the same people that somehow expect Charitable Organizations to function without any costs.

Bingo- no different than any non profit there are costs to run it. Only way it’s 100 pct is if there is pro bono as you say or sponsorship money that funds operations and doesn’t go into the collective pool for athletes which is a creative way to get to 100 pct.

Reading the article it seems that the football collective donates 100% of the monies to the sport. OU donates 85%. Seems like the football collective is the way to go.
Orange United donates 100% of the money you pledge to the sport you direct it to. If you don’t direct it to a specific sport it goes to a general fund. Orange United is also broader based and offers options for more modest donors via a subscription based option that starts at $10/month. It appears that the Football collective is aimed at the bigger fish with most of its offerings starting at $25k at this point. There is room for, and we need, both.