New IPF stacks up well | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New IPF stacks up well

xc84 I will not proclaim to be a desginer. But to structurally make the box the headers/trusses need to be significant. Just not realistic per the designers I was talking to. Think of 10'-12' headers in your house...now multiply that by an area approx 200x350. Steel Price is not exactly cheap plus paying for unusable space above the 65' height req. Again only what I heard.

Budget in paper is also more than what the firm was told was available. Do not know if this was a late addition to budget or a gift etc.

All well and good, but do you think any football alumni who made it to the big time will step up with serious money? I for one would sht my pants to see it named the Donovan McNabb Center. Or Jim Brown... or Floyd Little ...or etc, etc, etc. Seriously, what are the chances? The good doctor is probably already working that angle. STEP UP, GUYS!!!!

Did I hear or read, or was maybe dreaming, that the IPF was going to be used by other sports and not be exclusively a football practice facility? If so, maybe that is adding cost.

Sent using my Commodore 64

If i read correctly they said it could be used by everybody but football would be the 'main tenant'.

I would expect the outside appearance / architecture to still follow the Melo center design. I don't think they'd have an IPF drastically different in appearance than the other 'pillar'.

they could easily use manley.
Good point...I thought about that too. Just wonder if the ceiling height will be a factor in either place. I think 65' is about standard height for these indoor facilities...not sure that would work well for punting or popped up softballs.

Spoke with some designers last night from a local firm. Box is out. Bids/Designs due Friday. I'm sure someone more important can confirm said info.
Ah i like the update. I hope it will include more than just a field. I've been to Penn States and it's big a nice and great complex but it has too much of a modern urban building looking. I hope they go with the Tenn. look as mention before.

Does the $17 million include the cost of the new track?

I also noticed yesterday's announcement didn't mention any medical facility upgrades. Hope that is factored in somehow.

As the opposite pillar of the "Melo" Center, they could name it after Dwight Freeney, and call it the "Freak" Center.

Wouldn't $17m get a whole lot more then just a field house type building? will anything else be transferred over there or just a couple offices? either way $17m should get one hell of an IPF

17 million in Syracuse gets you a lot more then in other places. Material is much cheaper in the area. We are close to Canada so lumber prices are down, we have limestone gravel pits right in Jamesville for concrete. Everyone needs to relax. They aren't building this on the cheap. It will look like the melo center. Syracuse is too frugal to spend that kind of money on an eyesore.

I've seen talk of upgrading lounges, locker room, weight room, etc already. Are those state of the art and comparable to other ACC schools? I think that's just as important, and maybe more so, than the actual practice field for recruiting purposes. The IPF renderings do look really nice, though.

17 million in Syracuse gets you a lot more then in other places. Material is much cheaper in the area. We are close to Canada so lumber prices are down, we have limestone gravel pits right in Jamesville for concrete. Everyone needs to relax. They aren't building this on the cheap. It will look like the melo center. Syracuse is too frugal to spend that kind of money on an eyesore.
Lumber? I can't see them using any sort of wood for this type of project!

Might be the reason for both what appeared to be a delay in the announcement as well as no renderings. We may be modifying some things to account for use by other sports. Could also be why it appears to cost more than the standard box some others have. Lastly, it may have been changed to also increase the fundraising opportunities.

Make no mistake this is going to be for football. It is part of the pitch to include the other teams and syracuse students. I doubt we are going to see much other than football in the place

Budget in paper is also more than what the firm was told was available. Do not know if this was a late addition to budget or a gift etc.
I had heard an $8 mill number. Did you hear the same?

Make no mistake this is going to be for football. It is part of the pitch to include the other teams and syracuse students. I doubt we are going to see much other than football in the place

Football will be #1, but if you listened to Gross, it is for other sports also. Make no mistake about it.

They didnt say the prior budget just that they were surprised about the new number (makes me think someone stepped up with a larg(ish) donation).

I had heard an $8 mill number. Did you hear the same?

Football will be #1, but if you listened to Gross, it is for other sports also. Make no mistake about it.

I more than listened to him.

All I'm saying is 17 million buys a lot more here then it would in other areas. I understand lumber will not be a big part of it but concrete will. Compare the price of goods here to other parts of the country and you will see that you will get more for your money in this area then others.

The lead architect should have completed the minimum design with detailed structural requirements in a request for a proposal (RFP) to the design/build companies. What is going out has to be a detailed plan - not a request for a new design (otherwise the IPF is not being built this year). The lead architect-consultant normally uses standard local per square foot cost estimates to come up with the initial $17 mil cost.

1st holdup is probably that options exist in initial RFP on the design based upon how much bang for buck they can get out of the winning builder. Most logical is getting detailed bid costs because the builder can generally provide "valued engineered" cost savings if options exists in the RFP. Once everyone agrees on all the options based upon what they want to spend, that's when we will finally see drawings-pics.

2nd holdup is uniqueness of the building will be between what the architect believes can be built and what the builder will state is possible to guarantee the structural integrity of the building given the weather conditions we have in the NE. You don't want this thing caving in with 7 feet of snow on the roof especially if column support is not an option.

And it may end up costing more for the same thing versus elsewhere here in the NE because of weather conditions, availability of construction workers (limited right now because of all the construction projects going on), and changing prices of raw materials since construction has been picking up across the country.

All I'm saying is 17 million buys a lot more here then it would in other areas. I understand lumber will not be a big part of it but concrete will. Compare the price of goods here to other parts of the country and you will see that you will get more for your money in this area then others.

Don't forget to factor in the union labor. I'd also imagine that they will make this a "green" facility, which will factor into additional costs.

This is correct.

Don't forget to factor in the union labor. I'd also imagine that they will make this a "green" facility, which will factor into additional costs.
I'm not completely sure about this but su is a private institution I don't believe they have to hire a union. Either way its going to come down to who comes in with the cheapest bid.

I'm not completely sure about this but su is a private institution I don't believe they have to hire a union. Either way its going to come down to who comes in with the cheapest bid.

Yes you are correct. In a number of recent projects, SU did not use union labor - some, but not all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom