New OL Coach: Dale Williams [Official] | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Dale Williams [Official]

I’ll chalk up yaba as an outlier but if more Purdue fans start chiming in, would give me ptsd about coach Cav.
Let’s hope he can improve our pass blocking and it’s a home run hire
I promise...they will get bored and forget since I remember there was a wait before you can start posting when you sign up. Just just go lurk the IU boards and make fun of their new coach.

Certainly not as exciting as some of our other hires, I don’t know enough nuances in OL play to comment about his actual coaching abilities. So, I will just trust the wisdom of those who know more about football than I do about this hire! I don’t know if it was ever a viable option, but the casual sports fan in me was just hoping for Addazio…

We don't need a recruiter...that'll take care of itself. And sorry but I don't trust college PFF grades...I distinctly remember you mentioning how we would be manhandled by Purdue when we played this year because your PFF grades were so much higher :)
There’s no metric by which Williams can be judged as good. Pff, rushing yards generated, players drafted. Watching will Bramel, Eric Miller etc and saying “hey that guys good.”

Feel free to think he’s Kirk ferentz lol.

Yes. Underestimated just how bad MLB1 was. Can’t win a game when you whiff on assignments and let the QB run wild. Thought brothers was attributable to brohm. Turns out he’s bad no matter who the coach is.

You guys definitely won fair and square but I’d warn my worst enemy about Williams.

As a team this year SU was 75th in the country pass blocking. Purdue was 76th. Run blocking Purdue was 90th, SU was 117th.
What was Purdue in 2020 and 2021 when Dale was there?

There’s no metric by which Williams can be judged as good. Pff, rushing yards generated, players drafted. Watching will Bramel, Eric Miller etc and saying “hey that guys good.”

Feel free to think he’s Kirk ferentz lol.

Yes. Underestimated just how bad MLB1 was. Can’t win a game when you whiff on assignments and let the QB run wild. Thought brothers was attributable to brohm. Turns out he’s bad no matter who the coach is.

You guys definitely won fair and square but I’d warn my worst enemy about Williams.
Fair question - how does he stay employed in the sale role at your school for 6 years if he's awful? That just doesn't pass the smell test. Did he have blackmail pictures on Brohm?

Fair question - how does he stay employed in the sale role at your school for 6 years if he's awful? That just doesn't pass the smell test. Did he have blackmail pictures on Brohm?
Your last sentence was probably said on out boards 10,000 times in his time there. I have an open challenge to Purdue fans to show me another place where he was ever good. If West Virginia fans say he was amazing I’ll listen

Cav lasted 4 years at Syracuse and got hired away….
I thought he was here for 3 (2018/2019/2020) and 2018 was his first year which was our best OL of the Babers era.

Cav's main issue (in my opinion) is that for the most part he couldn't recruit. And the line 2 deep wasn't strong that he inherited so it was a time bomb waiting to happen.

I thought he was here for 3 (2018/2019/2020) and 2018 was his first year which was our best OL of the Babers era.

Cav's main issue (in my opinion) is that for the most part he couldn't recruit. And the line 2 deep wasn't strong that he inherited so it was a time bomb waiting to happen.
You might be right. I just remember Nebraska fans warning us. Then under him the line ended up being the worst I’ve ever seen at Syracuse.

As a team this year SU was 75th in the country pass blocking. Purdue was 76th. Run blocking Purdue was 90th, SU was 117th.
He was an analyst at UL this past year Bees. How did Purdue do in 2021 and 2022?

He was an analyst at UL this past year Bees. How did Purdue do in 2021 and 2022?

I know. I was more talking about the talent he brought in. I answered 20 and 21 because that’s what he asked for for some reason. I’ll check 22.

When I first heard Purdue, I thought it was going to be their current OL coach. I think I would have liked this hire better.

3 years. Fairly certain, he was quietly asked to leave, after the 20 season(before the final game). Cav wasn't a master Technician. X O guy. That's fine- depending. He coached the 1st 5 or 6 guys. Often the GA will take care of the others, but that wasn't happening. In a player called meeting, the oline decided that the top guys would work with helping to coach the rest. Again - Cav was busy with the starters, and GA's often work in developement...

Schmidt WAS a technician. He was able to find a little more time for the underbelly. They had way more to work on, from the get go. That can take a while, but Bergeron picked it up the quickest. (In Schmidts second year) Schmidt is why he's in the NFL. ;-) He was a good developer.

Dunno squat about Williams, but Purdue fan forum wasn't kind. They have no clue what he was dealing with- as fan forums do. That being said, he did have a top 5 line in the B10, at least once.

I think we need a Master Technician - with a similar GA to work with the underbelly. That last part is important. Takes a couple years. If Williams (and his support) are those guys? Cool! We shall see. ;-)

20 85th and 206th.
21 46th and 90th.
2020 is probably the best indicator.

2021 the line was solid and we had a FR gain nearly 1,000 yards because he was so good at making people miss.