New OL Coach: Dale Williams [Official] | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Dale Williams [Official]

I'm trying to be open minded, but I'd almost be more excited if we'd have hired Brian Ferentz for OL.

Now I'm not trying to make you laugh - he has no business being an offensive coordinator. But he was a really good offensive line coach from 2012-2017 when Iowa sent 10 guys to the NFL and won the Joe Moore award for best OL in 2016 when they had two 1000 yard rushers. And it's not with a lot of highly regarded recruits. They coach them up.

Seems like a bit of a head scratching decision. Maybe the kitty was running low since we had to go all in for Erob
agree -- not sure on finances but I'm of the opinion that OL is the most important position coach and arguably as important as the OC/DC. Happy to let this play out but definitely underwhelmed with this hire.

I know, but as the OL analyst they essentially had two coaches. He’s 50% of that. I’m trying to find a silver lining on this hire b/c right now I think it’s awful. It’s the most important position group imo, holding out hope we have the same setup that LVille did.
you're probably like me -- still scarred from the Bob Wylie era. OL is, in fact, the most important position coach and this does feel like a bit of head-scratcher ... and that may be a bit generous.

I don't understand why there are 3 coaches for WR/TE, 2 for the DL and 1 for the OL where there are 5 players and the largest group of players on the field?
Something tells me there will be another OL Coach

Fran can help with secondary
ERob on the DL
Nixon the RB

I can see another person taking on a role as an OL Coach

Probably a couple of analysts too.

Nothing is finalized or announced regarding full staff yet. Let's see what else is still cooking.

I mean most coaches get fired at some point. Most A&M fans thinks Dazzler is a horrible O Line coach as well. Don't get me wrong this guy could very well stink, nothing new at Syracuse and HCFB could stink as well but I will wait to see the product on the field before I start bitching too much.

Personally, I don't think there is another guy coming in either

you're probably like me -- still scarred from the Bob Wylie era. OL is, in fact, the most important position coach and this does feel like a bit of head-scratcher ... and that may be a bit generous.

First legit concern on the announced staff hires... hopefully that concern will be unmerited after the first handful of games.

If you look at our Oline performance though is it bad coaching or talent? We make so many mistakes its hard to really know.

And I dont think money is the reason for the hire.. We clearly have a bigger budget are they really going to say we cant spend 50-100K more so we have to take someone we dont like?

So we all know for a fact SU "went cheap" and this guy is a dumpster fire.

Let's just chill and enjoy the ride and THEN FREAK OUT once we have all the pieces in place.
Sure Purdue didn't have the best numbers with him BUT hell we beat Purdue sooooo...

If you look at our Oline performance though is it bad coaching or talent? We make so many mistakes its hard to really know.

And I dont think money is the reason for the hire.. We clearly have a bigger budget are they really going to say we cant spend 50-100K more so we have to take someone we dont like?

I agree and look, we cycled through 3 OL coaches (Cav, Schmidt, Farmer) with the same results. The one constant has been mostly the same players.

With each coach our kids seem to be either better at pass blocking or better at run blocking but not both together. If this is the guy, I'd hire an OL analyst or 2 and have 2 or 3 coaches with this group.

Last edited:
I mean most coaches get fired at some point. Most A&M fans thinks Dazzler is a horrible O Line coach as well. Don't get me wrong this guy could very well stink, nothing new at Syracuse and HCFB could stink as well but I will wait to see the product on the field before I start bitching too much.

We need better offensive linemen. Hopefully this staff can address it. It's more often a challenge for us than not.

Good point! Addazio couldn’t get out of town fast enough for those A&M fans

Just a thought.. but maybe Fran is assigning Nunzio to help out with OLine duties and TE.

You would think Fran had to entice Nunzio with more responsibility or an advanced role next year and I can see that being with OLine since he’s already working with TEs.

I’m not sure about this, but would be surprised if Nunzio didn’t earn some kind of promotion in house after what he did…keeping the team together and getting us to a bowl game is no small feat.

I agree and look, we cycled through 3 OL coaches (Cav, Schmidt, Farmer) with the same results. The one constant has been mostly the same players.

With each coach our kids seem to be either better at pass blocking or better at run blocking but not both together. If this is the guy, I'd hire an OL analyst or 2 and have 2 or 3 coaches with this group.
Just hire a doctor to coach the OL maybe if the kids stayed healthy for a game or two it would make a difference. Injuries and lack of talent ar

I would just say that Fran wouldn't make this hire if he didn't know something that we don't. Fran didn't come here to lose.

You can't always get your first choice, every time. Even Fran.

Because 2020 falls in line where it was in 2018-2019. In 2021, Purdue had an RB who broke the most tackles in a decade and was able to make people miss in the open field - not an OL indicator.

Don’t you need a decent OL to get in the open field or was that a year he was allowed to get handoffs past the LOS?

You can't always get your first choice, every time. Even Fran.
giphy (3).gif

Don’t you need a decent OL to get in the open field or was that a year he was allowed to get handoffs past the LOS?
Well, his average yards before contact was 1.7 so.

Just hire a doctor to coach the OL maybe if the kids stayed healthy for a game or two it would make a difference. Injuries and lack of talent ar
Lost 2 staters Ellis who never played and our Legacy transfer, so maybe just need healthy players, and someone who can teach.

Lost 2 staters Ellis who never played and our Legacy transfer, so maybe just need healthy players, and someone who can teach.
By this reasoning, the strength and nutrition program is more important than an OL coach anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom