New OL Coach: Dale Williams [Official] | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Dale Williams [Official]

The first old of the staff. Sorry. Big10 built and ACC verified with Louisville champ game run. No better name for a person destined to be an old coach than Dale.

king-of-the-hill-dale.jpg

good question

So, Owens played for UL from '00-'03. He was also TE Coach/Recruiting Coord in '18.

Jeff Brohm (HC) progressed from QB Coach to OC at UL between '03 and' 08.Brian Brohm (OC) played there from '04-'07 and Greg Brohm (Chief of Staff) was Ops Director from '04-'08.

What that means in terms of why they'd give him the OL job but still bring DW in a QC role, I don't know. Maybe Owens married a Brohm sister?

Is it weird that Brohm decided to hire someone else as OL coach when he moved to Louisville?
Maybe a little. Dale has been paired with Brohm since they were both at Western Kentucky.

The new UL coach is a UL alum who was a very good OL there, and who then had a long NFL career, and then started off coaching at low level colleges in the South. He progressed upwards quickly and had a lot of success.

If Dale‘s OL had a weakness, it was run blocking. From what I have seen and read, his lines were solid pass blocking. Purdue ran the ball with some success under Brohm but most of the time they moved it via the pass. Guessing the new coach might be better at teaching run blocking? They certainly ran it well this past season.

The other things are that Dale is getting up there in years and maybe Brohm wanted a younger coach the players could relate to better?

Lastly, Dale is from Cleveland. He has historically focused on recruiting the Midwest. With the move from the B1G to the ACC, perhaps Brohm saw the Midwest connections as much less important and he valued a coach from the area who had also coached extensively in the area?

Just googled the best OLs in the B1G in 2022. The article I found had Purdue 5th. That is pretty darned good given how important OLs are in the B1G. If he can get the SU OL somewhere in the middle of the ACC, I would be thrilled. And if he can get a decent player or two out of the Northeastern area of Ohio, an are that is not that far away and that we have pretty much ignored for decade, that would be awesome.

Maybe a little. Dale has been paired with Brohm since they were both at Western Kentucky.

The new UL coach is a UL alum who was a very good OL there, and who then had a long NFL career, and then started off coaching at low level colleges in the South. He progressed upwards quickly and had a lot of success.

If Dale‘s OL had a weakness, it was run blocking. From what I have seen and read, his lines were solid pass blocking. Purdue ran the ball with some success under Brohm but most of the time they moved it via the pass. Guessing the new coach might be better at teaching run blocking? They certainly ran it well this past season.

The other things are that Dale is getting up there in years and maybe Brohm wanted a younger coach the players could relate to better?

Lastly, Dale is from Cleveland. He has historically focused on recruiting the Midwest. With the move from the B1G to the ACC, perhaps Brohm saw the Midwest connections as much less important and he valued a coach from the area who had also coached extensively in the area?

Just googled the best OLs in the B1G in 2022. The article I found had Purdue 5th. That is pretty darned good given how important OLs are in the B1G. If he can get the SU OL somewhere in the middle of the ACC, I would be thrilled. And if he can get a decent player or two out of the Northeastern area of Ohio, an are that is not that far away and that we have pretty much ignored for decade, that would be awesome.
I wonder if Louisville wanted the alum as the OL coach, but he was green, so they brought in Williams as “quality control” to give him a hand.

Last edited:
Guys, you kicked our butts this year (Dale is a big part of why), but if he was hired by Oklahoma state I’d post there too.

Facts on Dale Williams

> had 6 scholarship linemen start games (to this day, including year one of Walters) at Purdue… of 26.

> I would have to look, but I believe his only year with Purdue being in the top 100 in rushing was his first year at Purdue. Darrell hazell was an awful coach, but he left behind some tough linemen and defenders. As those players graduated, Dale just never replaced them.

> the year before brohm arrived, Kirk Barron was the 4th highest rated OL at Purdue per pff at 74.2. Purdue still hasn’t had an OL rate that high, but in 2020 they had a part time center hit 72, then in 2022, Marcus Mbow and Gus Hartwig were both slightly above 70. In six years. Because Williams is AWFUL.

> part of the problem this year, along with previous defensive coaches under brohm, was that when players like Spencer Holstege transferred out, not only were there not p5 guards who had played good p5 football. There was just no one. Even the 2022 commits have all transferred out. Walters had to start with nothing. Marcus Mbow, Gus Hartwig, Mahamane Moussa, two 2023 g5 transfers and NOTHING.

> the biggest issue is he just can’t recruit tackles. At all. Brohm constantly had either hazell recruits at the end, converted guards, bad grad transfers. Even this year Marcus Mbow played RT as a concerted guard.

His best tackle recruit in 6 years was probably Eric Miller, who peaked this year at 64.4 per pff. There was a good utep transfer and a bunch of meh, in 6 years.

This year you saw Marcus Johnson getting the same pff grades out of g5 transfers that Dale could rarely ever get from his own high school recruits.

The frustrating part about arguing with Purdue fans over this is that I’ve yet to ever have someone tell me where he had success.

The OL rating well at all probably could be attributed to the fact that Jeff brohm had a good passing attack and Aidan Oconnell and David Blough got the ball out fast. The line did pass block well. They were just anemic.

You guys kicked our ass in Ross ade, mostly due to Oc Brothers being the defensive equivalent of a lot of williams’ OL.

But I wouldn’t wish this on Indiana Fans

If you guys had gotten say mark hagen or Brad lambert as one of your coaches, or Jamarcus shephard, I’d be here telling you you got a good one.

Cleveland native, I'm sure he can help us recruit in the talent rich North East Ohio corridor as well as other areas of the mid west.

Former O-lineman who has been in the "trenches" at a Power 5 school, have to like that!
Our OL has been dog water I’d much rather have a fundamentally sound coach here than recruiter

Guys, you kicked our butts this year (Dale is a big part of why), but if he was hired by Oklahoma state I’d post there too.

Facts on Dale Williams

> had 6 scholarship linemen start games (to this day, including year one of Walters) at Purdue… of 26.

> I would have to look, but I believe his only year with Purdue being in the top 100 in rushing was his first year at Purdue. Darrell hazell was an awful coach, but he left behind some tough linemen and defenders. As those players graduated, Dale just never replaced them.

> the year before brohm arrived, Kirk Barron was the 4th highest rated OL at Purdue per pff at 74.2. Purdue still hasn’t had an OL rate that high, but in 2020 they had a part time center hit 72, then in 2022, Marcus Mbow and Gus Hartwig were both slightly above 70. In six years. Because Williams is AWFUL.

> part of the problem this year, along with previous defensive coaches under brohm, was that when players like Spencer Holstege transferred out, not only were there not p5 guards who had played good p5 football. There was just no one. Even the 2022 commits have all transferred out. Walters had to start with nothing. Marcus Mbow, Gus Hartwig, Mahamane Moussa, two 2023 g5 transfers and NOTHING.

> the biggest issue is he just can’t recruit tackles. At all. Brohm constantly had either hazell recruits at the end, converted guards, bad grad transfers. Even this year Marcus Mbow played RT as a concerted guard.

His best tackle recruit in 6 years was probably Eric Miller, who peaked this year at 64.4 per pff. There was a good utep transfer and a bunch of meh, in 6 years.

This year you saw Marcus Johnson getting the same pff grades out of g5 transfers that Dale could rarely ever get from his own high school recruits.

The frustrating part about arguing with Purdue fans over this is that I’ve yet to ever have someone tell me where he had success.

The OL rating well at all probably could be attributed to the fact that Jeff brohm had a good passing attack and Aidan Oconnell and David Blough got the ball out fast. The line did pass block well. They were just anemic.

You guys kicked our ass in Ross ade, mostly due to Oc Brothers being the defensive equivalent of a lot of williams’ OL.

If you guys had gotten say mark hagen or Brad lambert as one of your coaches, or Jamarcus shephard, I’d be here telling you you got a good one.
We don't need a recruiter...that'll take care of itself. And sorry but I don't trust college PFF grades...I distinctly remember you mentioning how we would be manhandled by Purdue when we played this year because your PFF grades were so much higher :)

We don't need a recruiter...that'll take care of itself. And sorry but I don't trust college PFF grades...I distinctly remember you mentioning how we would be manhandled by Purdue when we played this year because your PFF grades were so much higher :)
This has me thinking of Cavanaugh and that didn't work out so well, similar feedback from Nebraska fans about him.

If he can teach technique then I'm optimistic because I think the recruiting staff can help a lot on the talent side. It's critical that he can mold guys. If he's not good at that then, yeah, probably a bad fit.

Oh my god lol. This Rdukeboiler dude got banned on the Purdue On3 site a few months back because he was shitting on people. He only talks about PFF grades. I'm glad that you guys can experience it.

LITERALLY EVEY POST BY HIM WAS ABOUT PFF LOLLL

Everyone on the Purdue board would crap on him because he preached it as gospel. Glad he's found a home here :)

I’ll chalk up yaba as an outlier but if more Purdue fans start chiming in, would give me ptsd about coach Cav.
Let’s hope he can improve our pass blocking and it’s a home run hire
Was thinking this exact same thing. Don’t want to go through that again, or anything close to it.

I was really hoping this is where we would spend money and get an nfl guy. Agree Purdue’s run blocking was very poor when we played them two years ago.
It might ptsd because we have had some really bad Oline play and coaches recently but this is the first thing since Brown was hired that causes concern.
All his other hires seemed well thought out. He has experience but so do other guys that have proven success. Maybe it’s like someone said the money is running out for coaches to pay big for an Oline coach. Time will tell if this hire works or we have a new Oline coach next year.

One thing I'll throw out there though - how does a guy stay a position coach at the same B1G school for 6 years if he's awful at it? Serious question. Even here the life expectancy of a "lousy" position coach was around 2 years or so.

Last edited:

Facts on Dale Williams

As a team this year SU was 75th in the country pass blocking. Purdue was 76th. Run blocking Purdue was 90th, SU was 117th.