New OL Coach- Joe Adam | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach- Joe Adam

At the end of the day, we just have to let this hire play out. FWIW, I talked a bit more with my vendor who played for Adam(and Lester) at Elmhurst. I told him our concern about his lack of OL coaching experience. He said Adam coached RBs and was great at not just coaching the RBs but of working on run blocking schemes and technique with the O-Line and O-Line coach. He also mentioned that we should take his record as head coach with a grain of salt, their roster was as raw as can be. Again, take it for what it is worth, but he feels we got another Tim Lester on our staff, let's hope he is right!

I think it's equally relevant that this guy worked for Tim Lester. So Adam is getting his endorsement as well as Shafer's. Agree with those who say this is not the splash hire they might have hoped for, but it's also not an unknown to the staff. This guy must be good enough to get rehired.

At the end of the day, we just have to let this hire play out. FWIW, I talked a bit more with my vendor who played for Adam(and Lester) at Elmhurst. I told him our concern about his lack of OL coaching experience. He said Adam coached RBs and was great at not just coaching the RBs but of working on run blocking schemes and technique with the O-Line and O-Line coach. He also mentioned that we should take his record as head coach with a grain of salt, their roster was as raw as can be. Again, take it for what it is worth, but he feels we got another Tim Lester on our staff, let's hope he is right!
A thanks for the info...good stuff

Ya, 5 years at Harper Community College as Defensive Line coach.

Normally, if you can coach the D Line, you can coach the O-Line. Especially at D1 level, he has to have an idea as to what is coming at him technique-wise and scheme-wise or he would never have been successful as a D-Line coach, giving him the expertise to know what he wants his O-line to do with their scheme and technique.

Also, a coach is a coach...meaning that most coaches have coached almost every position coming up through the ranks regardless of their exact title. I like the guy and based on Shafer's track record, he will prove me right.

I just can't believe we're going to have 3 coaches combing the midwest looking for recruits.

Denzel Ward @DWard75_
Just talked to the new Syracuse offensive line coach Coach Adams, he sounds like a great guy. Fired up to play for him! #Syracuse #Cuse

#AR70 @D1_Roberts
Just talked with Coach Adams, I'm excited to play for him!

Denzel Ward @DWard75_
Just talked to the new Syracuse offensive line coach Coach Adams, he sounds like a great guy. Fired up to play for him! #Syracuse #Cuse

#AR70 @D1_Roberts
Just talked with Coach Adams, I'm excited to play for him!
Who is this coach Adams of which they speak? Does he coach for the University of Syracuse?

I'm glad that they're excited.

Now, my brother and I were just spitballing the other day but what are the chances they bring Mackey on as a GA? I'm sure there is a thread dedicated to this but haven't come across it. Not sure if Mackey wants to get into coaching or not but this would seem like a no brainer.

Now, my brother and I were just spitballing the other day but what are the chances they bring Mackey on as a GA? I'm sure there is a thread dedicated to this but haven't come across it. Not sure if Mackey wants to get into coaching or not but this would seem like a no brainer.

i have little doubt that one day we will see Mackey walking the sidelines in some capacity as a Syracuse coach. although i would think he'd give the NFL a shot first

Looks like he can compete with McD in tweeting...

Joe Adam ‏@CoachJoeAdam Feb 15
Thank you to family and friends for a great but emotional send off to New York tonight. Love you guys! #family

We could do worse. From his bio, he check's off several boxes:

Pee Wee Herman was born Paul Rubenfeld in Peekskill, New York [NYS CONNECTIONS-DOWNSTATE], and grew up in Sarasota, Florida [FLORIDA CONNECTIONS] , where his parents, Judy and Milton Rubenfeld, owned a lamp store. His mother was a teacher and his father was an automobile salesperson, who had flown for Britain's Royal Air Force and for the U.S. Army Air Forces in World War II, later becoming one of the founding pilots of the Israeli Air Force during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. [HARDNOSED MILITARY FAMILY] Paul has two younger siblings, Luke (born 1958), who is a dog trainer, and Abby (born 1953), who is an attorney, and board member of the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee.

Reubens spent a significant amount of his childhood in
Oneonta, New York[NYS CONNECTIONS-CNY/UPSTATE] . As a child, Reubens frequented the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, [OFTEN PERFORM IN MSG] whose winter headquarters was in Sarasota. The circus's atmosphere sparked Reubens' interest in entertainment and influenced his later work. Reubens also loved to watch reruns of I Love Lucy, which made him want to make people laugh.[LUCY WAS FROM JAMESTOWN - NYS CONNECTIONS-WNY] At age five, Reubens asked his father to build him a stage, where he and his siblings would put on plays.

Reubens attended
Sarasota High School, where he was named president of the National Thespian Society. He was accepted into Northwestern University's summer program [CHICAGO CONNECTIONS TO REPLACE DEANDRE] for gifted high-school students and also joined the local Asolo Theater and Players of Sarasota Theater, appearing in several plays. After graduation, he attended Boston University [NEW ENGLAND CONNECTIONS, PLUS BU ALSO HATES BC] and began auditioning for acting schools. He was turned down by several schools[CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER] , including Juilliard, [TOO HARD-NOSED?]and twice by Carnegie-Mellon, before being accepted at the California Institute of the Arts and moving to California [WEST COAST TIES, CAN WORK THE JUCOS OUT THAT WAY], where he worked in restaurant kitchens and as a Fuller Brush salesman.

In the 1970s, Reubens performed at local comedy clubs and made four guest appearances on
The Gong Show as part of a boy–girl act he had developed with Charlotte McGinnis, called The Hilarious Betty and Eddie.He soon joined the Los Angeles–based improvisational comedy team The Groundlings and remained a member for six years [MORE WEST COAST TIES] , working with Bob McClurg, John Paragon, Susan Barnes, and Phil Hartman. Hartman and Reubens became friends [FRIENDS WITH TOP PERFORMER], often writing and working on material together. In 1980, he had a small part as a waiter in The Blues Brothers.[FILMED IN CHICAGO]

On the coaching side, what he brings is obvious - an emphasis on footwork:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Reubens#Early_life_and_education

Joe Adam ‏@CoachJoeAdam1 min
Great day of watching film and working the plan. Excited about spring ball coming up.

This guy has never been an offensive line coach in his life. And our school is in New York, not Illinois.

I have been vocal about it not mattering where kids come from - as long as they can play. But this hire doesn't make sense on any level.

We already have PLENTY of midwest people on staff to recruit. And if he has been hired to coach the O-Line as is being reported, we have severely downgraded in that area.

I get the fact Shafer should be comfortable with the hire but I'm not impressed. At all.

Bump.

We started off decent then we got the injuries. Its hard to have chemistry when you our shuffling different guys in and out and the guys that were in was supposively playing with injuries too. Our pass protecting was above average but we never got consistent push on run plays. I generally think our offense was too finesse and lacked the power element that we had last season.

Why did he leave?

I wasn't to coach OL in the CFL, he didn't show up at that job and ended up being a scout with Tampa Bay. High end pay is in the mid 5 figures.

He was out of work for a year before he came here.