New OL Coach Mike Cavanaugh | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach Mike Cavanaugh

Seems like a good hire. A good OL coach is a big deal often overlooked.

Great hire. OL is as important a position coach ad there is. My sense is the next hire is more based on recruiting prowess.

A couple snippets from the links too lazy to read

Survived 10 years at Oregon St and followed Riley east to Lincoln
OL coach basically 100% of his career
Stands 5'6", 54 years old
Worked under George DeLeone one year
Got his coaching start at Albany St. Great Danes
Can't imagine he is a recruiting guru with eastern connections...been out west too much. It'll be interesting to see his territory.
Instead of card tricks...cooks a mean Teriyaki Chicken
Old School Drill Sgt during practice...more laid back off the practice field

DSCF0317_ypzvuj.jpg

Not sure OL recruits and players will have a person to look up to;) seriously, sounds like a well rounded person and we all know my love for UAlbany:)

Not to be the proverbial wet blanket, but OL was a big concern at Nebraska. Could well be extenuating circumstances like injuries, but it was a concern:
Report: Former Nebraska offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh hired by Syracuse

Don't hate me. I'm just surfing the net...

Could be from any number of reasons - and it seemed like it was just this last season. It’s also easy to pooh on a guy who worked in the old regime, when you have Boy Scout Frost taking over.

good point. Totally forgot about that. So, now I have to be worried that when Riley lands somewhere else, he pulls Cavanaugh.
I think Riley is done being a HC. He's going to be a $200K salary assistant at Oregon State next season. He appears to be winding down his career.

According to recruiting rankings Cavanaugh was the Huskers top recruiter in 2016 and the #2 Oline recruiter in the Big Ten in 2017. Looks like he can talk the talk.

I think Riley is done being a HC. He's going to be a $200K salary assistant at Oregon State next season. He appears to be winding down his career.

According to recruiting rankings Cavanaugh was the Huskers top recruiter in 2016 and the #2 Oline recruiter in the Big Ten in 2017. Looks like he can talk the talk.

Any sense as to his recruiting territories? Or is he a closer on OL prospects regardless of territory?

Any sense as to his recruiting territories? Or is he a closer on OL prospects regardless of territory?

Based on players committed it looks like he recruits OL prospects mostly. Non-OL commits seem to be West Coast (CA and AZ).

Was Lynch the playcaller from the booth and Lewis running the signals from the sideline?

Asking for a friend. (Me).

Dino said all three of them would "fight" for certain plays. I'm guessing Lynch dealt with the run game and Lewis the pass game.
Putting that all together I would assume the three of them would talk and if one saw something they would call over to Lewis for an audible and then we would see the delay in snaps.
This is all mostly guesswork from listening to Babers talk, as he has never said how any of it actually works :)

OL is important so as long as this guy can coach recruiting isn’t as important for this position.

I don’t mind this hire at all.
Dino knows what he is doing.

I'm surprised folks aren't more excited about this hire. I read his resume and I am pumped we got him, seems like a great coach to add at a position of need. My only concern is that he looks pretty happy and we need an o line that is nasty, is this guy going to promote that attitude?

For me this is a home run hire, sure it's no the sexy "Oh my he can recruit all the hot beds and does all the new great things with this or that". The last time we had a really good OL coach we had an amazing line. This is perfect for a line that has experience and just needs a bump to be very good. I can't wait to see the difference this OL will show in the upcoming season.

OL is important so as long as this guy can coach recruiting isn’t as important for this position.

I don’t mind this hire at all.
Dino knows what he is doing.

He should be able to recruit OL based on his resume. You'd have to at least listen.

*23 all-conference players at Oregon State
*Three OSU offensive lineman drafted by the National Football League
*Had a first or second-team all-conference offensive lineman for five straight seasons from 2006 to 2010
*3 All Americans (1 first team / 2 freshman)

From what I can find his lines have had ridiculously low sack numbers 2017 not withstanding (24).

*Nebraska ranked first in the Big Ten in sacks allowed in 2016 (15)
*Nebraska ranked second in the Big Ten and ninth nationally in fewest sacks allowed in 2015 (14)
*2013 - 1 sack for every 25 attempts
*2008 - 1 sack for every 21 attempts
*2004 - at Hawaii 1 sack for every 26 attempts

Oregon State Bio
OSUBeavers.com | Oregon State Athletics

Nebraska Bio
Mike Cavanaugh Bio

At Hawaii:
-Hawaii finished in the top 17 for total offense in each of his last four seasons, including second in 2002 at 495.6 yards per game. Hawaii was sixth in 2003 at 488.1, seventh in 2001 at 462.7 and 17th in 2004 at 434.0.
-Hawaii ranked in the top 10 nationally in total offense three times in six seasons at the school

The more you read the more you have to be impressed with his accomplishments coaching an Offensive Line.

Last edited:
Dino said all three of them would "fight" for certain plays. I'm guessing Lynch dealt with the run game and Lewis the pass game.
Putting that all together I would assume the three of them would talk and if one saw something they would call over to Lewis for an audible and then we would see the delay in snaps.
This is all mostly guesswork from listening to Babers talk, as he has never said how any of it actually works :)
cuse runs one or two run plays...don't think its so much to fight over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom