New QB Coach Kirk Martin (TX) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New QB Coach Kirk Martin (TX)

This is a Harbaugh type move, savvy and aggressive.

Love that Texas is now a focus for recruiting. I Gotta believe there is a specific kid or 2 they have in mind for Martin to deliver. Either flipping one of those A&M commits or '19 '20 Manvel kids

Dino is such a Boss!
I understand the family ties thingy. That probably trumps the usual "m.o." of hiring a high school coach to bring someone with them (i.e. a player).

The business of Texas high school football is far, far more profitable and carries more weight of community inspiration, visibility and espirit de corps than most other medium or small business enterprises here in Texas or in many other states.

The Manvel ISD football program or probably any other Class 5A or 6A Texas football program would arguably all by itself fund the athletic departments of all the OHSL large high school sport budgets combined.

As an Associate AD and long term head coach of a largely visible and successful Houston metro area high school ‘enterprise’, I can assure you that this man not only carried a great weight of responsibility in a very public fishbowl where his every move was heavily scrutinized, but I am very certain that the Manvel football program would agree that Coach Martin was worth every penny and probably underpaid down here, especially given the respect of his name and the success of his tenure.

If the Texas high school football programs were a public dividend stock they would be among the most widely held, profitable and endearing companies to hold down here. The money paid to the coaches is almost an afterthought. Many people in Texas love their local football than the Cowboys, the Texans or even (gasp) the mighty SEC.

The culture and dynamic is an amazing paradigm shift from where I grew up between the JD and WG areas in Onondaga County. I can appreciate the way people think in Texas, but I still would not trade my love for CNY and my hometown culture. It is just that a talented and organized football coach and teacher would carry more weight as a career alternative than I would ever have believed growing up in CNY.

In conclusion and without a whisper of reservation, I can assure all our fans that we are very fortunate to have a coach of this magnitude come to Syracuse. Of course while there may be some recruiting rules to be more familiar with from the college level, I am certain that the scale of going from Texas high school football to the P5 and the ACC is NOT at all intimidating to him and in many ways much easier going from an AD/coach responsibility in Manvel ISD to a position coach at Syracuse University Football.

Dino believes in ‘Orange is the New Fast’ and loves our school so much that he obviously does not hesitate to bring his family along for the ride with his new family at Syracuse. I would expect that Mr. Martin will do great work for us both in recruiting Texas and coaching our team. He brings massive credibility with him from Texas. I am so glad that Mr. Martin has received the Orange vision for our future and believed Coach Babers good report!

Thank you for your insights, texacuse. Post more often.

Need to play some Texas teams now. Texas Tech has a 2o21 P5 schedule opening.

Just a thought on recruiting but is there a guy who’ll understand the HS kids and know how to connect with the parents better than this guy? 47/48 doesn’t matter when he’s been eating and breathing HS kids for his whole life. I think he’ll be a great recruiter

Im guessing he’ll also primarily focus on QBs more so than territory for the first couple years.

Just a thought on recruiting but is there a guy who’ll understand the HS kids and know how to connect with the parents better than this guy? 47/48 doesn’t matter when he’s been eating and breathing HS kids for his whole life. I think he’ll be a great recruiter

Im guessing he’ll also primarily focus on QBs more so than territory for the first couple years.

TX probably produces more quality QBs than any state per capita among the larger states. I see a few stud TX QBs and WRs playing for Cuse in the future.

Is moving to texas and coaching some Highschool football my next career move??

Considering Martin is a Texas lifer, Dino's in-law and has never coached on the college level, this strikes me as the type of move a head coach makes if he plans on sticking around for a while.[/QUOTE

Why does this hire give you the feeling that he sticks around for a while? I’m not arguing that he won’t I just don’t get why hiring a TX HS coach gives you that feeling? He could just leave and take him, right?

Why does this hire give you the feeling that he sticks around for a while? I’m not arguing that he won’t I just don’t get why hiring a TX HS coach gives you that feeling? He could just leave and take him, right?
You are correct...

Eh, I don't see a huge risk though.
I would see less of a risk if he was hired as a WR, TE or RB coach but them groomed as a QB coach as the final step towards an OC position. It is a big risk but it also could play out as the risk/reward scenario.
There is always risk in the unknown.

Is TTech too strong of a P5 team? They have to add a P5 opponent on the schedule for '20 and '21 now that Wisky is gone and there aren't many choices.

Agreed...play Tulane, UTSA or TX State instead. NOLA is 4 hrs from Houston. The other two are about 3 hours away. Lubbock is like 9 hours from Houston and in the middle of nowhere.
Isn't west Texas Art Briles home territory? Isn't west Texas where the air raid offense was developed and is still huge today?

Was very skeptical when I first heard the news. You guys got me drinking the kool-aid. If nothing else, this is a gutsy move. He's essentially restructured the entire dynamic of the staff over the course of two seasons. I hope it pays off.

Isn't west Texas Art Briles home territory? Isn't west Texas where the air raid offense was developed and is still huge today?
Doesn't matter...you want to play beatable teams near recruits. While playing Texas Tech would be a fun game to watch it isn't near TX recruits.

I would see less of a risk if he was hired as a WR, TE or RB coach but them groomed as a QB coach as the final step towards an OC position. It is a big risk but it also could play out as the risk/reward scenario.
There is always risk in the unknown.

Less of a risk? He coached the QBs at Manvel and sent 5 of them to play D1. There really is zero risk here. He utilizes the Briles spread concepts so there's going to be much less learning curve here. Just because he hasn't coached in college doesn't make it a risk. A high level coach is a coach is a coach.

Serious question but why would an AAC, MAC or CUSA level QB coach be any better and less of a risk? Especially when they don't know anything about the offense.

Last edited:
Is anyone going to congratulate Dino's daughter for her husband choosing?

Fine. I will. If it wasn't creepy, I'd buy you one of the sets of flatware from the registry that no one ever buys enough of.

Doesn't matter...you want to play beatable teams near recruits. While playing Texas Tech would be a fun game to watch it isn't near TX recruits.
You must be from Texas? If Syracuse went down there and won a shootout vs Tech, football people (which is everyone in Texas) across the whole state would take notice.

You must be from Texas? If Syracuse went down there and won a shootout vs Tech, football people (which is everyone in Texas) across the whole state would take notice.
Native Syracuse...lived in TX for nearly 20 years. All the money and people reside roughly in a Triangle from DFW to San Antonio to Houston.

Native Syracuse...lived in TX for nearly 20 years. All the money and people reside roughly in a Triangle from DFW to San Antonio to Houston.
I understand the population distribution. But they do play some serious football in west Texas, and Syracuse does need a P5 opponent for those years, unless they are going to schedule Army.

How about SMU or Baylor?

I understand the population distribution. But they do play some serious football in west Texas, and Syracuse does need a P5 opponent for those years, unless they are going to schedule Army.
Oh...I understand...we might play them but I'D rather do a H/H or a 2 for 1 within that triangle or Tulane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom