New QB Coach Kirk Martin (TX) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New QB Coach Kirk Martin (TX)

I was on a Texas A&M message board and was pleased to see that Martin is very much a known commodity there. They heard that he was leaving for a college job and were worried that he was going to the Longhorns. I like this hire a lot. Here's hoping he adjusts to CNY.
Outstanding recon. They know their own down there. And let me just reiterate the old saying about there being 2 sports in Texas - "Football and spring football."
We got a good'n.

I was on a Texas A&M message board and was pleased to see that Martin is very much a known commodity there. They heard that he was leaving for a college job and were worried that he was going to the Longhorns. I like this hire a lot. Here's hoping he adjusts to CNY.

Makes sense. Manvel appears to be something of a feeder school for A&M.

I don't think he pulls his new in-laws out of the state they've lived in their whole lives, just to uproot them a year later.

Point is well taken here. Another reason I stay away from the "Dino Gone" threads at the end of the season

Yes. We need 1 P5 Team in OOC. Too dangerous and too far from any recruiting area worth anything
I don't think many other P5 teams have an opening for those years. Art Briles came from west Texas and I'm sure people there know about Dino being in Syracuse and how he is running that system. And there still are a lot of serious football players out there even if it is sparsely populated, relatively.

The business of Texas high school football is far, far more profitable and carries more weight of community inspiration, visibility and espirit de corps than most other medium or small business enterprises here in Texas or in many other states.

The Manvel ISD football program or probably any other Class 5A or 6A Texas football program would arguably all by itself fund the athletic departments of all the OHSL large high school sport budgets combined.

As an Associate AD and long term head coach of a largely visible and successful Houston metro area high school ‘enterprise’, I can assure you that this man not only carried a great weight of responsibility in a very public fishbowl where his every move was heavily scrutinized, but I am very certain that the Manvel football program would agree that Coach Martin was worth every penny and probably underpaid down here, especially given the respect of his name and the success of his tenure.

If the Texas high school football programs were a public dividend stock they would be among the most widely held, profitable and endearing companies to hold down here. The money paid to the coaches is almost an afterthought. Many people in Texas love their local football than the Cowboys, the Texans or even (gasp) the mighty SEC.

The culture and dynamic is an amazing paradigm shift from where I grew up between the JD and WG areas in Onondaga County. I can appreciate the way people think in Texas, but I still would not trade my love for CNY and my hometown culture. It is just that a talented and organized football coach and teacher would carry more weight as a career alternative than I would ever have believed growing up in CNY.

In conclusion and without a whisper of reservation, I can assure all our fans that we are very fortunate to have a coach of this magnitude come to Syracuse. Of course while there may be some recruiting rules to be more familiar with from the college level, I am certain that the scale of going from Texas high school football to the P5 and the ACC is NOT at all intimidating to him and in many ways much easier going from an AD/coach responsibility in Manvel ISD to a position coach at Syracuse University Football.

Dino believes in ‘Orange is the New Fast’ and loves our school so much that he obviously does not hesitate to bring his family along for the ride with his new family at Syracuse. I would expect that Mr. Martin will do great work for us both in recruiting Texas and coaching our team. He brings massive credibility with him from Texas. I am so glad that Mr. Martin has received the Orange vision for our future and believed Coach Babers good report!

You grew up between JD and West Genny? I didn't realize Matt Palumb was on this board! ;)

Have to imagine Martin’s (first-year coach out of high school) hire might free up money to give everyone on the staff a small bump.

This reminds me a bit of the time Pasqualoni hired Steve Addazio, at that time a highly successful high school coach.

I don't think many other P5 teams have an opening for those years. Art Briles came from west Texas and I'm sure people there know about Dino being in Syracuse and how he is running that system. And there still are a lot of serious football players out there even if it is sparsely populated, relatively.
it's not sparsely populated, relatively. It is sparsely populated, period. It is hard to convey just how empty West Texas is, but I assure you that it would never be described as anything more than sparsely populated.

I mean no disrespect, but listen to the Texans on the board. We understand the geography, population, and football culture of our state. Texas is a massive state and very, very diverse by region. Lubbock might as well be in the middle of nowhere. Anyone who recruits Texas knows that almost all the recruits come out of 1) DFW metroplex 2) Houston 3) East Texas and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Austin/San Antonio corridor. West Texas might as well be upstate New York in terms of talent.

regarding the hire, I'm very happy/pleased. A poster upthread said that the nepotism worked backwards, that this is a guy who wouldn't have gone to Syracuse but for the family connection. I agree with that. He'll be able to relate to high school students and he'll know what a winning culture looks like. He'll be our version of Chad Morris.

it's not sparsely populated, relatively. It is sparsely populated, period. It is hard to convey just how empty West Texas is, but I assure you that it would never be described as anything more than sparsely populated.

Here's one: 9 counties in West Texas have fewer than 1,000 residents.

113 people live in Loving County, according to the 2010 census.

Think of the emptiest rural New York counties...then reduce their population by a factor of 50. That's West Texas.

Interesting hire, not much risk in this and a lot of upside. He's personally worked with QB's and has a proven track record, just look at his son.

I think the idea this will open the floodgates to recruiting in Texas is way overblown though. It might get us more looks and visits but I don't expect to see a significant uptick in Texas commits. However even if it's 1 - 2 players every year or two but those players end up being some of our best players, I could see the payoff coming in that way.

Interesting hire, not much risk in this and a lot of upside. He's personally worked with QB's and has a proven track record, just look at his son.

I think the idea this will open the floodgates to recruiting in Texas is way overblown though. It might get us more looks and visits but I don't expect to see a significant uptick in Texas commits. However even if it's 1 - 2 players every year or two but those players end up being some of our best players, I could see the payoff coming in that way.
Especially, if it's QB.

I trust Dino, but hiring a family member (even through marriage) is problematic if that guy needs to be fired or things otherwise don't work out among staff members.
Very true. And this leads me even more to believe that this decision was made with careful consideration

Here's one: 9 counties in West Texas have fewer than 1,000 residents.

113 people live in Loving County, according to the 2010 census.

Think of the emptiest rural New York counties...then reduce their population by a factor of 50. That's West Texas.

And they're all probably the size of Connecticut.

You must be from Texas? If Syracuse went down there and won a shootout vs Tech, football people (which is everyone in Texas) across the whole state would take notice.
23-28 over the last 4 years. Beating them would not make much of a ripple.

I mean no disrespect, but listen to the Texans on the board. We understand the geography, population, and football culture of our state. Texas is a massive state and very, very diverse by region. Lubbock might as well be in the middle of nowhere. Anyone who recruits Texas knows that almost all the recruits come out of 1) DFW metroplex 2) Houston 3) East Texas and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Austin/San Antonio corridor. West Texas might as well be upstate New York in terms of talent.

regarding the hire, I'm very happy/pleased. A poster upthread said that the nepotism worked backwards, that this is a guy who wouldn't have gone to Syracuse but for the family connection. I agree with that. He'll be able to relate to high school students and he'll know what a winning culture looks like. He'll be our version of Chad Morris.
I lived in the west for more than 10 years, so your not enlightening me on anything. Most of the recruits come out of east Texas because 90%+ of the population is there. My point was, is and will remain that the ACC requires that teams play 1 P5 OOC opponent each year. Wisconsin was that opponent for '20 and '21, but that agreement was terminated and now there are very few P5 teams that have an opening for a P5 opponent in those years. Texas Tech does have an opening in '21, as for 2020, Auburn is available. There could be a few more. That is my entire point, which seems pretty simple. The only additional juice on top of that is that Dino Babers offensive mentor, Art Briles, is from that area so I would think that people there would be aware of that and it would be a "thing". West Virginia plays there every other year and Rutgers played at Washington State which is more isolated and remote than Lubbock.

23-28 over the last 4 years. Beating them would not make much of a ripple.
You know nothing about how people in the south or in Texas look at football.

You know nothing about how people in the south or in Texas look at football.
Oh. And here I was thinking that I was the one who knew the things I know and don't know. Thank you random message board guy for telling me what I actually know.
And to think that after spending so much time IN TEXAS, watching high school football in the San Antonio area, and engaging with the fans at the tailgates,(yes they tailgate in Texas for H.S. ball)and the games, it turns out I actually have no idea how they look at football.
This has been a revelation to me. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Oh. And here I was thinking that I was the one who knew the things I know and don't know. Thank you random message board guy for telling me what I actually know.
And to think that after spending so much time IN TEXAS, watching high school football in the San Antonio area, and engaging with the fans at the tailgates,(yes they tailgate in Texas for H.S. ball)and the games, it turns out I actually have no idea how they look at football.
This has been a revelation to me. Thank you for opening my eyes.
then apparently your previous comment was just a flippant jab. Because as you know Texas Tech is in the Big12 and their winning or losing a game against another P5 opponent would have a direct bearing on conference RPI and could be the factor in the Big12 champion getting into the playoff. And I think most people in Texas would think that Tech would take care of Syracuse quite easily.

then apparently your previous comment was just a flippant jab. Because as you know Texas Tech is in the Big12 and their winning or losing a game against another P5 opponent would have a direct bearing on conference RPI and could be the factor in the Big12 champion getting into the playoff. And I think most people in Texas would think that Tech would take care of Syracuse quite easily.
Hey Kreskin...stop telling me what I know. You blew my mind enough the first time...my head can't take much more.
tenor.gif

Hey Kreskin...stop telling me what I know. You blew my mind enough the first time...my head can't take much more.
tenor.gif
Honestly, I don't want you to be mad at me. Just tell me a P5 team that has an opening for another P5 opponent in 2020 or 2021. I will wait.

Honestly, I don't want you to be mad at me. Just tell me a P5 team that has an opening for another P5 opponent in 2020 or 2021. I will wait.
#1 This is the world we live in now I guess. If I disagree with you, then I must be mad? Sorry, but no. This is an internet message board, I don't take much on here too seriously.

#2 The following schools have room for P5 schools scheduled in either 2020, and/or 2021. Baylor (2021), TCU (2020 and 2021)Minnesota (2020) Northwestern (2020), Cal (2021), UCLA (2020), USC (2020, 2021), Washington (2021), Alabama (2020, 2021), Arkansas (2020), Florida(2021), Missou (2021), South Carolina (2021)

Other than those 13, I had a hard time finding a p5 team with an opening for another p5 team in either 2020, or 2021. Then again...you already know what I know, so you must have known that right?
Future College Football Schedules

Of the teams you listed, only Northwestern in 20 and and Alabama in both years have openings. All the other teams you listed are already playing 1 P5 team in those years and none want to play 2 P5 OOC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom