New RB Coach | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New RB Coach

Pete Roussel at Coaching Search Ticker:
Syracuse: Sources tell me that New Mexico running backs coach DeAndre Smith has accepted a position on Scott Shafer's staff at Syracuse.

Bio -- Great experience
Looks well qualified. All the coaches look like they are going to do really well coaching up players and getting the most out of them that is possible.

Most of these guys have recruited several areas in the past. While their core areas are often not places SU has recruited in the past (and with a few exceptions probably won't in the future), they can make the adjustment to new areas.

It is going to take years to build the relationships needed to be successful landing heavily recruited players. I expect to see a lot of under the cover type recruits in the meantime, players with high ceilings that can be developed, much like we saw during the DM era.

That's what I like Tom, a lot of different areas and hopefully they will build on the good will the previous staff built...I'm hoping win win.

I think this is a good hire. I was hoping with this position that they had a little more recruiting ties to the East Coast. But he seems to have great success with the running game. Seems to be a high energy player coach type and he has had a great deal of success with rushing games in college. He has coached a couple backs that are playing the NFL so that will add to his cred.

With the horror stories that people have told on this board from Moore recruiting early on in NJ. I have to think that SS would not leave Moore by himself to recruit this area. Another point I want to make about the NJ/NY area I think the more we win and the more we are on TV the easier it will be to recruit this area.

Smith's first phone call to Gus or Laray?

I think this is a good hire. I was hoping with this position that they had a little more recruiting ties to the East Coast. But he seems to have great success with the running game. Seems to be a high energy player coach type and he has had a great deal of success with rushing games in college. He has coached a couple backs that are playing the NFL so that will add to his cred.

With the horror stories that people have told on this board from Moore recruiting early on in NJ. I have to think that SS would not leave Moore by himself to recruit this area. Another point I want to make about the NJ/NY area I think the more we win and the more we are on TV the easier it will be to recruit this area.

Smith's first phone call to Gus or Laray?

Actually...
Zach Braziller@NYPost_Brazille
Hearing Syracuse assistant Rob Moore, a Long Island product, may be the new city recruiter. #su

Would love to get someone like Jeff Hafley away from the Tampa Bay Bucs to handle NJ/NYC/LI.

His recruiting talents are wasted as an assistant secondary coach down there.

Looks well qualified. All the coaches look like they are going to do really well coaching up players and getting the most out of them that is possible.

Most of these guys have recruited several areas in the past. While their core areas are often not places SU has recruited in the past (and with a few exceptions probably won't in the future), they can make the adjustment to new areas.

It is going to take years to build the relationships needed to be successful landing heavily recruited players. I expect to see a lot of under the cover type recruits in the meantime, players with high ceilings that can be developed, much like we saw during the DM era.

Why does it have to take years to build relationships needed to land heavily recruited players? I want to point out that many other programs are going through turnover with their coaches very recently. Penn State, Rutgers, Pitt, Uconn all recently. Florida, UNC, BC. The list goes on. So many teams need to re-build recruiting connections. I understand these programs probably hired coaches with more recruiting ties to their respective areas than we seem to be doing, but due to numerous coaching staffs turning over, I don't think we're as far behind the curve in regards to recruiting ties as many here think. This program has momentum going, and I think even a new staff can use that to land highly ranked recruits in our traditional recruiting grounds.

In 2011, (pre Smith) New Mexico rushed for 1,603 yards (per the team website). #106 in country per ESPN.

In 2012, they rushed for 4,188 yards. #5 in country per ESPN.

(fwiw)
Then Hire the O line Coach

GET somebody that can Recruit Western Pa,Jersey,Conn , or even Albany/Troy

I'd like to see us recruit the hell out of our new ACC territory. We had been making nice inroads in GA. Add the Carolinas, MD, VA, FL. This way, we're taking talent away from our opponents (hopefully), and can sell to the players that their family will be able to see them play often. Something we can't really say for a kid from the midwest.

Yeah, but the Nature Boy/WCW that was posted after you wrote this brought it back to normal quickly. Love me some Nature Boy. WOOOOO!!!
For shame - that wasn't WCW. That was NWA! WOOOOOOOO!

GET somebody that can Recruit Western Pa,Jersey,Conn , or even Albany/Troy
Albany/Troy? Why waste a spot on the staff for someone that can recruit that area? Same with Connecticut. Two giant wastes of time, IMO.

Albany/Troy? Why waste a spot on the staff for someone that can recruit that area? Same with Connecticut. Two giant complete wastes of time, IMO.

Fixed

Five pages and no one picked up on the fact that our new RB coach turned 44 years old in November. It has a certain ring to it...

Seems like another good hire. He seems very similar to Wheatley, upbeat and motivating. Hope he can be as successful recruiting.

I'd like to see us recruit the hell out of our new ACC territory. We had been making nice inroads in GA. Add the Carolinas, MD, VA, FL. This way, we're taking talent away from our opponents (hopefully), and can sell to the players that their family will be able to see them play often. Something we can't really say for a kid from the midwest.
At least we'll be able to negative recruit the hell out of Maryland with tales of woe from the heartland.

[quote="Smith's first phone call to Gus or Laray?[/quote]

You do a three way call baby!

Why does it have to take years to build relationships needed to land heavily recruited players? I want to point out that many other programs are going through turnover with their coaches very recently. Penn State, Rutgers, Pitt, Uconn all recently. Florida, UNC, BC. The list goes on. So many teams need to re-build recruiting connections. I understand these programs probably hired coaches with more recruiting ties to their respective areas than we seem to be doing, but due to numerous coaching staffs turning over, I don't think we're as far behind the curve in regards to recruiting ties as many here think. This program has momentum going, and I think even a new staff can use that to land highly ranked recruits in our traditional recruiting grounds.

I feel that by Marrone taking most of his assistants with him to the NFL is a positive thing, IMO. It is likely that the assistants and recruiters left a positive image of SU with the HS head FB coaches in the tri-state area. Any new SU coaches won't have to spend time "mending fences" and assistants who didn't leave for other BCS programs won't be in competition for recruits.

Was really hoping for a great recruiting RB coach with ties to north east/east coast . Just don't get it and a little worried about our lack of east coast ties . When I read about him gettig into the high schools to establish contacts it made it even worse