New Roster | Syracusefan.com

New Roster

Autry Jr. giving up his father's #11 so Oshae can wear it is pretty cool.

& Frank switching to 23, I wonder if that's Malachi, Devo, LBJ, Jordan inspired? Maybe just a millennial #NewYearNewMe move...fresh slate for his last 2 years.

I'm looking forward to the season - expectations could not be lower. Take what good moments we get, hope we exceed expectations and wait for help to arrive in 2018. I just want our style to be more watchable and the team to be more likeable by playing as a unit and with effort.

A couple of quick observations.
  • All freshman frontcourt, except for Chukwu
  • Sidibe, Brisset, and Dolezaj are all slender [putting it mildly]
  • Chukwu is the "heaviest" at 228
  • We're going to get pushed around by physical, more physically mature teams, unfortunately
  • I'd have to think that Moyer is a lock to start, given his "experience" level compared to the others
  • It's going to be interesting to see which combination of players gels up front
  • This team is going to be simultaneously fun and frustrating to watch

• We're going to get pushed around by physical, more physically mature teams, unfortunately
  • I'd have to think that Moyer is a lock to start, given his "experience" level compared to the others
  • It's going to be interesting to see which combination of players gels up front

I'm not going to act like Thompson was the 2nd coming of Shaq or anything, but he and Battle were the two guys who had proven they could score at this level and you can probably throw in Thorpe also even though the AAC isn't as good. Are you confident of a winning season at this point? I'm usually overly optimistic but we need a lot of things to come together to even consider the NCAAs.

Cmon you must remember the fab 5! Chemistry is money!

Right. I'm trying to compare this roster in terms of height/physiques to another team anywhere in college hoops past or present and am struggling to find a comparison. Such a bizarre roster. If they can't get into transition then it will be rough, IMO.

Right. I'm trying to compare this roster in terms of height/physiques to another team anywhere in college hoops past or present and am struggling to find a comparison. Such a bizarre roster. If they can't get into transition then it will be rough, IMO.

Little experience, little size, and probably shaky outside shooting. Yikes.

Hopefully the fanbase will remain supportive and patient if we have the first truly bad year that most of us have ever seen. Hopefully a lot of these guys will be the veteran backbone of some very good teams in a couple years.

Hopefully the fanbase will remain supportive and patient if we have the first truly bad year that most of us have ever seen. Hopefully a lot of these guys will be the veteran backbone of some very good teams in a couple years.

If we were coming off a 25-30 win season where we made the sweet 16 I think the fans would be patient. I don't expect that this year. Unless the team finds a way to win 20 plus games I expect attendance to be down and the heat to increase on JB after the past 2 or 3 sub Syracusian regular seasons.

I'm not going to act like Thompson was the 2nd coming of Shaq or anything, but he and Battle were the two guys who had proven they could score at this level and you can probably throw in Thorpe also even though the AAC isn't as good. Are you confident of a winning season at this point? I'm usually overly optimistic but we need a lot of things to come together to even consider the NCAAs.

I can't recall a frontcourt of such unproven commodities in program history. There have been times [like the Celuck / McNeil / Brown season] where the talent hasn't been ideal, and yet we've overcome it by other guys [Griffin, Brown] stepping up. That could definitely happen -- isn't outside the realm of possibility that Battle emerges as a stud, that Howard gets his head on straight, and that Thorpe has a double digit scoring impact, that Brisset proves to be a special talent, etc.

But honestly, your guess is as good as mine. Who knows at this point.

Right. I think the size/height is fine but the weight/girth is lacking big time up front. Like RF said, I think we are going to get pushed around pretty good. Let's just hope they can "go get the ball" before the other team can. It's possible I guess if they all have those instincts and desire for rebounding.

Probably the worst looking team in the JB era. Last year, we had scoring and good shooting, but couldn't play D or rebound. This year, I think we'll struggle in all of those areas, and we still don't have much depth. I'm not sure what this team will do well other than have a star 2-guard.

Can this team actually play zone? Is there enough bulk and/or athleticism to not get out-rebounded by 10+ a night? With so many new pieces, we have to expect there will be growing pains in learning the rotations and how to disrupt passing lanes, but I'm wondering if we can physically get it done too? I'm terrified that we have to get 40 minutes out of Chukwu and Sidibe in the middle.

This sure looks like one of the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the ACC, barring a complete surprise. Maybe Oshae will be a star and Marek will be a unique, versatile surprise. Maybe the light bulb will come on for Frank and Thorpe will build off his good year at USF. But man, this does not look promising at all.

Definitely an enigma roster wise. It does look like we are loaded with athleticism and speed so have to presume that will be the key to getting wins. Gotta defend well and break out quickly. Half court offense and outside shooting may be an adventure. Just have to hope we can defend well and get a ton out of our freshman class.

If we get good backline defending to pair with how active battle is up top there is certainly an opportunity to be a very solid defensive team.

Probably the worst looking team in the JB era. Last year, we had scoring and good shooting, but couldn't play D or rebound. This year, I think we'll struggle in all of those areas, and we still don't have much depth. I'm not sure what this team will do well other than have a star 2-guard.

Can this team actually play zone? Is there enough bulk and/or athleticism to not get out-rebounded by 10+ a night? With so many new pieces, we have to expect there will be growing pains in learning the rotations and how to disrupt passing lanes, but I'm wondering if we can physically get it done too? I'm terrified that we have to get 40 minutes out of Chukwu and Sidibe in the middle.

This sure looks like one of the bottom 3 or 4 teams in the ACC, barring a complete surprise. Maybe Oshae will be a star and Marek will be a unique, versatile surprise. Maybe the light bulb will come on for Frank and Thorpe will build off his good year at USF. But man, this does not look promising at all.

Very fair worst case scenario setup looking at what we know. Sidibe and Brisset for all reports we have seen coming in should be able to be effective out of the gate. Pair that with Battle and we have a few things we have some positive insight into. Outside of that it's a total crapshoot - hence your breakdown.

I'm not gonna sa this team is going to dominate cause they won't but they do have some pieces. I think a trio of Battle, Geno and Oshae is commendable. Is it the punch Syracuse usually has, no...but Battle and Geno are proven players and that is a solid backcourt. I've been saying as well as others that Oshae is going to surprise, he is a typical Syracuse forward that fits the system perfectly. What this season really hinges on is the play of the centers as well as the development of either Moyer or Marek. The inexperience at Center is going to make or break the season depending on how well they play. As well as the development of Moyer or Marek, it is absolutely crucial one of them steps up and can be reliable almost every night. This team will struggle but has a lot of potential. Certainly a good foundation for years to come

1974/75 SU Orangemen.

If we were coming off a 25-30 win season where we made the sweet 16 I think the fans would be patient. I don't expect that this year. Unless the team finds a way to win 20 plus games I expect attendance to be down and the heat to increase on JB after the past 2 or 3 sub Syracusian regular seasons.

That heat on JB is from a relatively uneducated fans perspective (the impatient fan not you). This season has been shaping up to be less than stellar for quite awhile now. Loss of TT doesn't change that other than to make it even less likely that we surprise in a good way.

What we got last year and will get this year in terms of results has been taking shape for some time. The real opportunity to right the ship for this season was QG and the couple of recruits that were expected to come with him.

When that didn't pan out we were likely in a bad spot until we could land impact freshman from the 2018 class or until our less experienced lower ranked guys have time to develop.

It's ok to root for us to exceed expectations, but it's been pretty clear for some time that it would probably be a bit foolish for us to have high expectations for this coming year.

The good news is: what experience & size they do have is in the backcourt. Big backcourts are usually the key to good zone defense. 6-5 and 6-6 at the top of the zone when Howard & Battle play together. Arms up, contesting entry passes to take some pressure off the young guys in the backcourt while they learn their rotations.

Might we see some 3 guard lineups, with Battle playing in the back of the zone?

The good news is: what experience & size they do have is in the backcourt. Big backcourts are usually the key to good zone defense. 6-5 and 6-6 at the top of the zone when Howard & Battle play together. Arms up, contesting entry passes to take some pressure off the young guys in the backcourt while they learn their rotations.

Might we see some 3 guard lineups, with Battle playing in the back of the zone?

Yes, across the board.

Guarantee it.

In fact, I think we'll be better than last year. Good, maybe not. But it was a special kind of stinky to drop games like Connecticut and Georgetown last season. That won't happen again. We'll be on the wrong side of some 55-28 rebounding margins, we'll probably take double-digit losses to some better league opponents, and the defense will be lousy again. But they'll get it together and win a bunch of games. It's what Syracuse does.

Guarantee it.

In fact, I think we'll be better than last year. Good, maybe not. But it was a special kind of stinky to drop games like Connecticut and Georgetown last season. That won't happen again. We'll be on the wrong side of some 55-28 rebounding margins, we'll probably take double-digit losses to some better league opponents, and the defense will be lousy again. But they'll get it together and win a bunch of games. It's what Syracuse does.
If TT was going to play the season in NBA showcase mode, this team is probably better off without him. I'm looking forward to watching this group develop and think a hungry bunch of generally unproven kids will end up winning a lot of games with better defense, rebounding and transition scoring than we saw last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom