New Roster | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Roster

If TT was going to play the season in NBA showcase mode, this team is probably better off without him. I'm looking forward to watching this group develop and think a hungry bunch of generally unproven kids will end up winning a lot of games with better defense, rebounding and transition scoring than we saw last season.

I like the underdog teams best of all. Great to see a bunch of pieces come together, especially when they have offensive skills. Starting to get excited for the season (after football, of course).

My biggest goal for this season is making sure Bazley ends up on campus and we land Jalen Carey. If this season, on the court, provides any memorable moments or runs, that'll be a nice cherry on top. I have low expectations for the season based on experience, talent and fits, but we do look to have some quality young guys that if they are ready to go, we might be surprised by the outcome. Defense/rebounding will be the key.

I'm not gonna sa this team is going to dominate cause they won't but they do have some pieces. I think a trio of Battle, Geno and Oshae is commendable. Is it the punch Syracuse usually has, no...but Battle and Geno are proven players and that is a solid backcourt. I've been saying as well as others that Oshae is going to surprise, he is a typical Syracuse forward that fits the system perfectly. What this season really hinges on is the play of the centers as well as the development of either Moyer or Marek. The inexperience at Center is going to make or break the season depending on how well they play. As well as the development of Moyer or Marek, it is absolutely crucial one of them steps up and can be reliable almost every night. This team will struggle but has a lot of potential. Certainly a good foundation for years to come

Yeah I think this is right on, and I cant express enough how important it is to get some defensive production out of the center position. That is where this team needs to have a nice step forward. If we can get some consistent shot blocking and rebounding out of the 5 spot I think this team has an outside chance of making the Tourney. Defensively this should be a solid team. Everyone on this squad is bought in to the zone. We also will have significant upgrades at the 5 (Thompson) and the point (Gillon), both of which were liabilities. Thompson speaks for it self and with Gillon we go from 5'10 up top to 6'4 at a minimum, this is huge as another poster pointed out earlier. I also think Moyer will be a high energy active nice fit for the zone. Offensively, I think our shooting wont be as bad as many believe. Thorpe is a solid shooter, as is Battle. I think Frank Howard (im a little higher on him then many on this board, though that's not saying much) is also going to give you some production here, and I think OB and Merek (who was shooting 3's 2 ft further out in Europe) will be in the low 30% range which makes them players you cant leave wide open. Anything out of the 5 is icing. Does this team make the Tourney? I say 50/50 but I think they will definitely have a winning season.

Yeah I think this is right on, and I cant express enough how important it is to get some defensive production out of the center position. That is where this team needs to have a nice step forward. If we can get some consistent shot blocking and rebounding out of the 5 spot I think this team has an outside chance of making the Tourney. Defensively this should be a solid team. Everyone on this squad is bought in to the zone. We also will have significant upgrades at the 5 (Thompson) and the point (Gillon), both of which were liabilities. Thompson speaks for it self and with Gillon we go from 5'10 up top to 6'4 at a minimum, this is huge as another poster pointed out earlier. I also think Moyer will be a high energy active nice fit for the zone. Offensively, I think our shooting wont be as bad as many believe. Thorpe is a solid shooter, as is Battle. I think Frank Howard (im a little higher on him then many on this board, though that's not saying much) is also going to give you some production here, and I think OB and Merek (who was shooting 3's 2 ft further out in Europe) will be in the low 30% range which makes them players you cant leave wide open. Anything out of the 5 is icing. Does this team make the Tourney? I say 50/50 but I think they will definitely have a winning season.
How is Chukwu an upgrade? He was terrible last year. I'm hoping Sidibe can contribute and take most of the minutes, but to say it's an upgrade at this point, seems a bit premature, to say the least.

If Frank is the PG most of the time, is that an upgrade? He was terrible defensively, to go along with all the other issues.

I don't care as much about blocks, but we need the 5 to provide actual post defense and a bit of rebounding. We can't have uncontested and easy layups like we saw with TT.

We have some height, but we need some of these guys to hurry up and gain some weight or they're going to be pushed around with ease.

How is Chukwu an upgrade? He was terrible last year. I'm hoping Sidibe can contribute and take most of the minutes, but to say it's an upgrade at this point, seems a bit premature, to say the least.

If Frank is the PG most of the time, is that an upgrade? He was terrible defensively, to go along with all the other issues.

I don't care as much about blocks, but we need the 5 to provide actual post defense and a bit of rebounding. We can't have uncontested and easy layups like we saw with TT.

Defensively, chukwu and sidibe are going going to be an upgrade. It's almost impossible to be worse than what TT was going to bring to the floor. That said they do need to be a force altering and blocking shots for this team to be a good defensive team.

Never said Frank was going to play most of those min at point ( i actually think those will go to Thorpe) but if Frank is the point most of the time then yes I do believe that is an upgrade defensively and offensively because he would have to beat out a 5th year senior for those minutes so it would likely be a good sign. My original point is I think Frank will be able to shoot much better than many people think which is important on a team that's going to have to find some scoring, and the difference between Gillon and Thorpe (who will get more min than Frank), defensivly, will be significant.

Last edited:
I'm just going to keep my popcorn ready. Last year everyone was excited, now the majority are down on expectations.

This is gonna be a fun year. If OB, Marek, MM, and Sid had a 5 star next to their name, then all would be well for many, it seems.

We have no shooters...except Geno, Tyus, HW. Moyer has improved his shot, and OB may surprise some. Though, Oshae is getting plenty of love, and deservedly so. Frank is going into his junior year. Eh, no point in repeating myself there.

No rebounding? We are huge at every position. Weight is overrated. Hell, we probably draw more offensive fouls then, via the Duke system. Along with more time at the FT line.

All about the motor, and instincts. Marek, Matt, Oshae, and Sid have it. Throw in HW, and we have our Fab 5.

This team is much better than some people think. I'm rambling because this is my last post on this subject. Football soon, and then people will see how talented this team is. TT is gone, and the men who want to be here are good. We will have another winning season, and make the Tourney.

LGO.

Defensively, chukwu and sidibe are going going to be an upgrade. It's almost impossible to be worse than what TT was going to bring to the floor. That said they do need to be a force altering and blocking shots for this team to be a good defensive team.

Never said Frank was going to play most of those min at point ( i actually think those will go to Thorpe) but if Frank is the point most of the time then yes I do believe that is an upgrade defensively and offensively because he would have to beat out a 5th year senior for those minutes so it would likely be a good sign. My original point is I think Frank will be able to shoot much better than many people think which is important on a team that's going to have to find some scoring, and the difference between Gillon and Thorpe (who will get more min than Frank), defensivly, will be significant.
Frank will never be an offensive upgrade over Gillon.

Frank will never be an offensive upgrade over Gillon.

Again I don't think he's beating out Thorpe when it matters for pt, but if he does, its a whole different ball game because the potential is defiantly there.

I know its not a popular opinion around here but I think all in all Frank will be a positive surprise over the next two years.

A couple of quick observations.
  • Chukwu is the "heaviest" at 228
  • We're going to get pushed around by physical, more physically mature teams, unfortunately

Yeah, I wish we had a bigger guy we could put down low, like a Dajuan Coleman or Arinze.

Any chance we play smaller and move Battle to the 3?

Howard
Thorpe
Battle
Moyer/Brisset
Chukwu

----

The other guys are capable scorers and could negate Chukwu's lack of offense and on defense having Chukwu as a rim protector could help negate the teams lack of size on the backline of the zone.

Chuckwu was injured most of last year. Eye injury that he wore goggles to protect, then the worse eye injury which knocked him off the team. Eye injuries will probably mess up your shooting %. He'll almost certainly be better this season.

Chuckwu was injured most of last year. Eye injury that he wore goggles to protect, then the worse eye injury which knocked him off the team. Eye injuries will probably mess up your shooting %. He'll almost certainly be better this season.
I don't care about his shooting. That's not why he's here. He was just awful defensively last year, wasn't a huge factor in altering shots and just didn't look comfortable trying to man the middle. He needs to be an anchor there and be a catalyst for our defense and hopefully a return to the fast break. If he's going to be passive and pushed around inside again, he's not going to be of much help.

I don't care about his shooting. That's not why he's here. He was just awful defensively last year, wasn't a huge factor in altering shots and just didn't look comfortable trying to man the middle. He needs to be an anchor there and be a catalyst for our defense and hopefully a return to the fast break. If he's going to be passive and pushed around inside again, he's not going to be of much help.
If he's passive, JB will show him what is at the other end of the passive spectrum.

He played maybe two games before getting poked in the eye. Maybe that's why he looked uncomfortable.

I'm just going to keep my popcorn ready. Last year everyone was excited, now the majority are down on expectations.

This is gonna be a fun year. If OB, Marek, MM, and Sid had a 5 star next to their name, then all would be well for many, it seems.

We have no shooters...except Geno, Tyus, HW. Moyer has improved his shot, and OB may surprise some. Though, Oshae is getting plenty of love, and deservedly so. Frank is going into his junior year. Eh, no point in repeating myself there.

No rebounding? We are huge at every position. Weight is overrated. Hell, we probably draw more offensive fouls then, via the Duke system. Along with more time at the FT line.

All about the motor, and instincts. Marek, Matt, Oshae, and Sid have it. Throw in HW, and we have our Fab 5.

This team is much better than some people think. I'm rambling because this is my last post on this subject. Football soon, and then people will see how talented this team is. TT is gone, and the men who want to be here are good. We will have another winning season, and make the Tourney.

LGO.
A lot of deep thoughts especially that a lot of these guys we'd all be giddy about but should be because they are closer to five star than three star

Last edited by a moderator:
Youth and inexperienced
  • Never played college 5:
Brissett-truefresh
Sidbe-true fresh? Prep?
Washington true fresh
Marek-age? Fresh
Moyer-2nd year fresh

• Played college:4
Battle-2nd year soph
PC-4th year sophomore
Howard 3rd year Jr.
Thorpe 5th year sr

Guarantee it.

In fact, I think we'll be better than last year. Good, maybe not. But it was a special kind of stinky to drop games like Connecticut and Georgetown last season. That won't happen again. We'll be on the wrong side of some 55-28 rebounding margins, we'll probably take double-digit losses to some better league opponents, and the defense will be lousy again. But they'll get it together and win a bunch of games. It's what Syracuse does.
I think we will be much improved defensively. We lost our 3 major liabilities...

Is that a beard on Chuckwu? Maybe he is toughening up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom