New rosters up | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New rosters up

Wow. We only have 9 eligible scholarship guys this season. 5 walkons, and one guy that has to sit out. I'm a bit worried if anyone gets injured.

fwiw both Hoffmann and Lyde Cajuste are on scholarship for their senior years. Hart, DeRemer and Nassar are the three walk-ons. But I get your point.

fwiw both Hoffmann and Lyde Cajuste are on scholarship for their senior years. Hart, DeRemer and Nassar are the three walk-ons. But I get your point.
Hoffmann and Lyde Cajuste are still "walk-ons". Neither of those kids is like Reese either.

I'm not really worried, I've just gotten used to the depth of the past few years and only going 9 deep is a little more nervewracking.

Rak reminds of Otis Thorpe is that pic. Keep in mind that one of the reasons he came here was his friendship with Cooney. Maybe he followed TC's workout during the off-season. :)

6'10 250, just slightly bigger than Rak. Here's the kicker -- as solid as he was, Thorpe was about 40 pounds lighter than DC2.

othorpe_202_060907.jpg

6'10. Two Hundred Eighty Eight Pounds. Beef. It's what's for dinner.

coleman photo.jpg

I'm not really worried, I've just gotten used to the depth of the past few years and only going 9 deep is a little more nervewracking.

I think I agree here. Keita, Coleman and Rakeem make for a solid back line and none have significant injury histories, but Triche being the only real backup PG option is a little disconcerting. He's done it before, but it's been a couple years since he had to play that role and he's had some nagging injuries hold him back.

Just to keep in perspective the 02-03 national champions went 7 deep with pace playing verry little.
And they missed Edelin for nearly half the season.
This team already has 9. Sure it would be great to have a 4th guard, but thets not act like we are not ok either.

Just to keep in perspective the 02-03 national champions went 7 deep with pace playing verry little.
And they missed Edelin for nearly half the season.
This team already has 9. Sure it would be great to have a 4th guard, but thets not act like we are not ok either.

I love this year's team, but I don't see a generational all-around talent like Carmelo on the roster.

I love this year's team, but I don't see a generational all-around talent like Carmelo on the roster.
imo mcw's has the highest upside of any player since melo. thats about 10 years

Melo was as talented as any player offensively!!!! Still is!! He is In a small handfull of the best offensive players in the world. Soooooo of course we don't have that type of ultra elite talent on the team . . . . . but we have 3-4 guys with NBA talent plus a load of guy who are very good college players not to mention other than DC2 & Grant even our inexperienced guys are pretty experienced for college.

FWIW, I believe we went 8 deep for the second half of the 2002-03 season:

GMac
Duany
Melo
Warrick
Edelin
Pace
and...McForth.

Hoffmann and Lyde Cajuste are still "walk-ons". Neither of those kids is like Reese either.

Geez if only going 9 deep is causing you that much angst, you should read the headlines or immerse yourself in current events a bit more and give yourself something real to fret over.

Thanks to this post, I was able just now to confirm that I saw Gbiniji yesterday at the game. Thanks! He's not going to play this year, right?

Dajaun just has to grow 3 inches and put on 35 pounds and he could reach Shaqstatus. Someone cue Jerami grant to sell his groth secrets to his freshmen brother.

Thanks to this post, I was able just now to confirm that I saw Gbiniji yesterday at the game. Thanks! He's not going to play this year, right?

Correct, Gbinije is sitting out the upcoming year. He'll be eligible to play the following season, 2013-2014.

Gbinijie is going to be good, real good. Hopefully we hear good things from the coaching staff about his development like we heard when Wes was sitting out his yr, I can see Gbinijie having an impact like Wes did. Whats nice is he can play the 2 or the 3 and he should be solid at both ends of the floor

I don't know if these numbers are right but WoW
They are saying Dajaun is 6'9 and weighs 288

By comparison Onuaku weighed 255 and was 6'9.
Rick Jackson was 6'9 235.
Otis Hill was 6'8 234
Jeremy Mcneil was 6'8 257
Rak is 6'9 242 more then Rick Jackson and Otis Hill.

I don't know if my numbers are right I got them from orangehoops.com
If there are right though, I don't know whether to think Dajuan is way overweight or is a absolute beast. But the guys listed above had no face up dribbling game or jumpshot. Dajuan did at the high school level atleast

I'm 6'5" & weigh 290lbs. I workout quite a bit. Most people who ask, don't think I weigh more than 250lbs., but according to most height & weight charts I'm considered obese. I asked my Doc about that & he started giggling about how inaccurate those things really are. Fat has roughly 30% more volume than muscle. Bones weigh much more than either & mine are very heavy, according to the Doc.

DC's bone structure makes any of those you mention look comparatively skinny. He's just a very BIG man. People who bump into him aren't going to like it & the refs need to protect him from the floppers.

I'm 6'5" & weigh 290lbs. I workout quite a bit. Most people who ask, don't think I weigh more than 250lbs., but according to most height & weight charts I'm considered obese. I asked my Doc about that & he started giggling about how inaccurate those things really are. Fat has roughly 30% more volume than muscle. Bones weigh much more than either & mine are very heavy, according to the Doc.

DC's bone structure makes any of those you mention look comparatively skinny. He's just a very BIG man. People who bump into him aren't going to like it & the refs need to protect him from the floppers.

You know, before Fab came, I would have said it'll be impossible for DC to avoid the flop foul. But Fab demonstrated (most of the time) that you can effectively draw fouls as a big if you plant your feet outside the restricted zone and avoid "roofing" the offensive player. I think DC has, at the very least, Fab's bb IQ or better. So hopefully he'll be able to learn this valuable skill.

If not, DC will become a magnet for every opposing guard and incompetent referree in the league and i'll probably wind up breaking one of my LED screens.

DC2 can face you up, go both directions off the dribble without putting his sholder into you first. Drawing contact will only be needed if he can't get the layup off over the defenders outstretched arms. Guys like AO and Rick would draw alot of offensive fouls. AO because he would back you up back to the basket bumping. And Rick because he would put his sholder into you before he put the ball on the floor and wouldn't get low enough or cross you over off the dribble. Theres a big difference from pushing off/bumping your man off the dribble and rolling off your defender in a move to open space.

And Dajuan's arms from sholders to upper arms to lower arms to wrist to hands are just jacked all around. Wherever you hit him he still is going to get a and one attempt up against 98.5 percent of the college players All he has to do is get into position for a layup or dunk. Hes not Shaq yet though hes only 6'8 not 7'1. And hes not going to grab offensive rebonds off the rim like athletically like Fab's sophmore year yet. Hes only 6'8. hes a boxout type of guy. Hes going to have to develop that. I think there is a better chance he grows into a rebounder in the mold of Rick Jackson in the longrun if he works for it. Rick would fight for rebounds well and athletically with his body in the paint and out of it.

You know, before Fab came, I would have said it'll be impossible for DC to avoid the flop foul. But Fab demonstrated (most of the time) that you can effectively draw fouls as a big if you plant your feet outside the restricted zone and avoid "roofing" the offensive player. I think DC has, at the very least, Fab's bb IQ or better. So hopefully he'll be able to learn this valuable skill.

If not, DC will become a magnet for every opposing guard and incompetent referree in the league and i'll probably wind up breaking one of my LED screens.
Not comparable. Fab learned how to flop, he played soccer.

Dajuan weighed 250 2 years ago. Hes 288 now, and he took off body fat during the offseason.
Got to Love to see a kid with that work ethic in highschool. He wasn't ranked the number one big man because he was a athletic freak like Rak was. MCW was a Mcdonalds all american, and Triche and CJ were slated to be preinjury.
wink.png

I wouldn't be suprised to see MCW getting talk of all ncaa defensive accolades. Especially if Cooney is deserving of lots of minutes (which is very likely) Add that to Rak and Fair :)

I wouldn't be suprised to see MCW getting talk of all ncaa defensive accolades. Especially if Cooney is deserving of lots of minutes (which is very likely) Add that to Rak and Fair :)

I would. Apart from those three veteran guards ahead of him on the roster, Boeheim's main reason for keeping Mike off the floor last year was his spotty defense. He hustled, but he was often clueless about where to be, especially in transition (remember the shouting match in the Connecticut game?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom