new running backs coach? | Syracusefan.com

new running backs coach?

B

BillSU

Anyone have info about the hiring of Hart’s replacement and who that new running backs coach might be or not. Now is not the time to have a vacancy at such an important position. One of our top running back recruits on a pay site mentioned his visit this weekend was great but is waiting for the position to be filled before making a decision.

Anyone have info about the hiring of Hart’s replacement and who that new running backs coach might be or not. Now is not the time to have a vacancy at such an important position. One of our top running back recruits on a pay site mentioned his visit this weekend was great but is waiting for the position to be filled before making a decision.

When is the time?

How about Greg Toal from Don Bosco Prep? He's out of work.
I had the same thought, but apart from being older, and genuinely semi-retired (if not fully) he is also somewhat set in his ways and not of the Dino school of offense. He's likely a good recruiting idea, but probably little else. He has a traditional BigTen cloud of dust between the tackles, philosophy. Coughlin would also have been a great thought, but he's embedded in Florida now. If not Rocco Casullo, what about a former player like Konrad, or a former player/coach with recruiting experience like David Walker?

He's likely a good recruiting idea, but probably little else.

I'd take him for his recruiting chops, even if he can't coach a lick. By all accounts he's a great motivator and I think he probably know something about coaching. Besides, I thought Dino favored the big guy up the middle.

He's likely a good recruiting idea, but probably little else.

I'd take him for his recruiting chops, even if he can't coach a lick. By all accounts he's a great motivator and I think he probably know something about coaching. Besides, I thought Dino favored the big guy up the middle.
I'm not meaning to imply that he can't coach, just assumed his style of play, that he's been coaching for 40 years, is not our style of play. By all accounts, he is an excellent motivator, and holds his guys accountable, which is good. I also think he is strictly a NJ high school guy. I have to think he's heard plenty of offers and overtures from some pretty good programs over the years. I grew up knowing his oldest son (same age as my younger brother. They played together until high school). He's dedicated to educating the youth in his hometown/back yard.

Now is the best time to have a vacancy. The staff is recruiting but it's not a vital moment on the recruiting calendar and there's no games being played. And Geil has 3 more visits over the next month, so us having a coach won't change anything until April.

Now is the best time to have a vacancy. The staff is recruiting but it's not a vital moment on the recruiting calendar and there's no games being played. And Geil has 3 more visits over the next month, so us having a coach won't change anything until April.
A coach?

Last edited:
Vincent Marshall has been a GA / Quality Control guy for Babers for the last three years. Wonder if he gets a chance at the RB job, or at TE and Ferri moves to RB.

Agreed replacing Monroe is going to be really tough. He has been awesome in Florida. I do feel like Florida is the easiest to get recruiters for. Rocco as DB coach would be amazing.

Who is our NYC NJ recruiter? I feel like there could be alot of opportunity there for this RB coach.

Vincent Marshall has been a GA / Quality Control guy for Babers for the last three years. Wonder if he gets a chance at the RB job, or at TE and Ferri moves to RB.
Hmmm. Was a little odd when he changed his twitter out of the blue a few weeks ago. Maybe that or another position/group he may be taking over.

Hmmm. Was a little odd when he changed his twitter out of the blue a few weeks ago. Maybe that or another position/group he may be taking over.
I have no idea about anything. But it would make sense.

This is the longest thread we have ever had on possible coaching hires without mentioning a former Syracuse player or coach from the wonderful 1990s.

Congrats all!

This is the longest thread we have ever had on possible coaching hires without mentioning a former Syracuse player or coach from the wonderful 1990s.

Congrats all!

Rob Konrad and David Walker were both mentioned.

Agreed replacing Monroe is going to be really tough. He has been awesome in Florida. I do feel like Florida is the easiest to get recruiters for. Rocco as DB coach would be amazing.

Did we lose Monroe?!

I hope not

Who said we were losing coach Monroe??

Give me RB coach Floyd Little with special assistant Jim Brown coaching speed guys and power guys collectively.

Imagine them on the recruiting trail as well. JB still recognized by many as the goat and anyone that's ever talked to Floyd knows he's the type of guy you run through a wall for.

Who better to hand out 44 again as well?

Why?
We need proven recruiters guys with established relationships and proven coaches. Money is no longer an issue or shouldn't be. Spend the money to obtain and retain a solid staff.

We need proven recruiters guys with established relationships and proven coaches. Money is no longer an issue or shouldn't be. Spend the money to obtain and retain a solid staff.
Babers has said on numerous occasions that you really have to live in the system for a year or more before you can really teach it. An internal hire doesn't mean a blank slate when it comes to recruiting either. It also may mean retaining a solid staff.

Its almost impossible for a GA to step up and do well at recruiting. It takes time to establish HS relationships.
We need to hire proven coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom