Class of 2020 - New Transfer: Brett Tenaglia (Furman) Attack | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 New Transfer: Brett Tenaglia (Furman) Attack

Hmmm. Interesting addition. Nice stats but don’t see him making the field over the other kids already on the team. The roster next year is going to be huge, is there really a need to bring in these extra bodies?

This is great news! He's has 3 (4 with covid season?)years left so no real need to worry about the crowding stuff. We wouldn't call it overcrowding if we managed to land another 2020 recruit. Came in and lead a D1 team in points as a freshman means he is almost definitely a lock to have an impact at some point when he is here, even if it's not next year. He apparently went 3 and 2 against UNC. This video actually shows his three goals (#25). Two are nice looking open shots but one is him cleanly dodging and scoring against a long pole. This is the type of transfer that makes a lot more sense to me than a grad transfer that's not a game changer.

Eye catching that he scored off dodge from X and cleanly beats #24 Will Bowen who was five star recruit and ranked #2 in the entire 2018 class by Xanders.

Furman is a low level program but do like that their transfers came from LI and Conn .Kid has 4 years of eligibility so look at him as part of incoming class and future , just hope we have a locker and uniform available in case Teat becomes available.

This is great news! He's has 3 (4 with covid season?)years left so no real need to worry about the crowding stuff. We wouldn't call it overcrowding if we managed to land another 2020 recruit. Came in and lead a D1 team in points as a freshman means he is almost definitely a lock to have an impact at some point when he is here, even if it's not next year. He apparently went 3 and 2 against UNC. This video actually shows his three goals (#25). Two are nice looking open shots but one is him cleanly dodging and scoring against a long pole. This is the type of transfer that makes a lot more sense to me than a grad transfer that's not a game changer.

Thanks for this post, it is great to have video on him. He clearly makes some impressive plays. You can obviously have really good players from bad teams - and Furman was really bad last year. Rhefuss, though he never played for them, came from Holy Cross, as did Ben Williams. Frank D'Agonstino transferred to Furman and transferred back to 'Cuse. Don't like that he had 16 turnovers last year. Also seems a little curious for guys who were starting at their respective schools to move to a school where they will have to fight pretty hard for playing time. Furman kids obviously can't stay and still play DI, but there had to have been other options that would have meant more guaranteed playing time?

I do worry that the team is just going to be really really large next year - I count 43 returning players, plus four transfers plus a recruiting class of 13. Thats a roster of 61, up from a roster of 54, which is one of the largest rosters in the country. Maybe the coaches are expecting a drop off after fall (I think they lost at least five freshmen after fall ball last year - Wood, Ulmer, Levandowski, Swenson, Darby), but man. I thought given the transfers of a number of players this offseason, they might take the opportunity to scale things back a little. How can you properly asses a roster this big in practice?

Would have thought in this current fiscal climate where some sport programs are being eliminated, where budgets and staff salaries are being cut that schools with already larger rosters would be reducing rather than expanding but the lead teams have been adding which is perplexing beyond the top tier talents that clearly upgrade a team.

College enrollments and admission standards have been declining while financial aid rises so perhaps AD's are ok adding the demographic of solid students who are full paying despite the associated costs because net is still positive.

Not sure if any on current roster leave because landing spots at another school of choice may not be available and there is more to college life than just p/t is all else is good.

61 is hard to coach . That's a large football roster without the abundance of coaches due to NCAA restrictions. Most think that high forties can suffice for lax if classes and positions mapped with concentration on quality .

Count only 6 grads in fifth year of eligibility on current squad and believe that we have a dozen 2021 recruits so next year roster could be even larger .Has to be a breaking point where these numbers becomes too difficult to manage and develop and some resentments arise.

Changing times with many crosscurrents

Hasn't this always been how Desko has managed the roster (and what's gotten him in trouble)? I've always got the sense that as long as a player can pay tuition Desko will give them a shot.

Hasn't this always been how Desko has managed the roster (and what's gotten him in trouble)? I've always got the sense that as long as a player can pay tuition Desko will give them a shot.

Syracuse is usually fairly picky with transfers but Dekso has brought in the occasional transfer who didn't see the field all that much. I wouldn't read to much into this year as the Furman kids coming in are a result of the program shuttering versus SU actively reaching out to players in the portal. There will be a good amount of turnover next year with all the 5th year guys running out of eligibility and some guys who would have been Sr's next year deciding not to return. Kennedy for example may not want to play a sixth year.

This is great news! ... Came in and lead a D1 team in points as a freshman ... He apparently went 3 and 2 against UNC. ...
Agree with this analysis. Also, he put up 4 goals and 6 assists total in Furman's last 3 games, which were against Duke and Penn State as well as UNC.

In those 3 games, he had more points and a better shooting % than Griffin Cook had all of last (2020) season. I'm not saying he's a better player than Cook, but it looks like Tenaglia has some skills.

Agree with this analysis. Also, he put up 4 goals and 6 assists total in Furman's last 3 games, which were against Duke and Penn State as well as UNC.

In those 3 games, he had more points and a better shooting % than Griffin Cook had all of last (2020) season. I'm not saying he's a better player than Cook, but it looks like Tenaglia has some skills.
But can he ride?