Class of 2022 - New Transfer: Johnny Richiusa (NY: Penfield) FOGO Transfer from Canisius | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Transfer: Johnny Richiusa (NY: Penfield) FOGO Transfer from Canisius

I’ll be disappointed if his goal music isn’t R-O-C-K in the U-S-A

The thread title got cut off a little on my iPhone, so at first glance I read it as
“Johnny Ridiculous” ;)

52% on 280 draws as a freshman is solid no matter how you slice it but he's about to get an ENORMOUS step up in competition going from siena/monmouth/bellarmine to having to battle with jake naso, petey lasalla, etc.
Shouldn't be an issue for him. I had several people tell me on this site that Dobson would be a great catch and a sure thing for Cuse having excelled in the MAAC :cool: Dobson has yet to be tested at the PLL level and his recent play in the world games meant nothing - games were scrimmages against weak teams with even the USA being terrible.

The simple answer on Richiusa is no one knows until he takes the field against the ACC. Let's hope he can build on his freshman year.

He took a step up last season from HS to the MAAC and did well. Now this season he needs to take the next step to the ACC. With great coaching and if he has the ability along with the toughness he can do it. Let's hope he does. If so hes only a sophomore next season too so he will be around for 3 more yrs.

Another FOGO enters the portal. Not a big name, and Canisius did not have the toughest schedule last year. He went just 25-71 against the following teams (the toughest on his schedule) - Hobart, Denver, Air Force, Vermont and Michigan. Still, over 50% for a freshman is something. He's from Penfield, NY.

Every day that goes by without a new FOGO my anxiety climbs.

I feel like a dork for quoting myself, but it seems relevant to point out his struggles against better competition.

The plus side is he was only a freshman last year and despite those struggles he finished above 50% on the year. A full season under his belt should do wonders.

Irelan will certainly prove his worth this season, he seemed to really help Phaup last year. We will see if that was a flash in the pan or not. Fwiw Irelan did comment on his announcement post “pop off young king”. John Desko would never.

Like Jeremy I do hope that they aren’t done looking for more FOGOs. They still have the worst faceoff situation in the ACC. Strength in numbers would be a boost in this department. Have to think SU looks pretty enticing to the LIU fogo since two of his former teammates are already in the fold.

I really thought the LIU kid would be coming too. He looks like a strong kid and with Irelan coaching him up maybe he could be solid this season while these younger kids develop. He seemed to have held his own against Zach Cole from St Joes. Maybe he still will come.

I seem to remember another face off guy coming from a "lesser" conference winning 53% as a freshman, only to win 67% his sophomore year against ACC competition. Best percentage in the conference and second best in the nation for the 2015 season.

Maybe he struggles, maybe he follows the same trajectory as Williams. Gotta wait till the games are played to find out.

I seem to remember another face off guy coming from a "lesser" conference winning 53% as a freshman, only to win 67% his sophomore year against ACC competition. Best percentage in the conference and second best in the nation for the 2015 season.

Maybe he struggles, maybe he follows the same trajectory as Williams. Gotta wait till the games are played to find out.
His sophomore season was his best season by a mile at Cuse (67.4%). He stepped up in competition big time and had an unreal response to it. What a beast he was for those first two seasons. He took a beating, and is sort of a forgotten player I feel.

Listed as 5'11" 165lbs. I'm sure he'll be bulking up this summer.

There was a new Peterborough Junior A box game on youtube and Owen Hiltz, along with having a great game, was facing off! Our second guy was on the team all along! Just kidding he went like 3 for 15 and was doing the old trick where you watch the ref and try to clamp while he begins to inhale on the whistle.

Must have seen something they like and something they can work with or would not be here

Agreed, if nothing else he clearly is a quality depth option of which currently Syracuse has none at the X. The increase level of competition is concerning but as a Frosh he was at least competitive in almost every game including the ones he struggled. As I noted before Syracuse really should try and bring in 1 more transfer if at all possible, to have 2 quality options as I am not sure you can count on either of the young guys.

Did we look at Bo Columbus for F/O ? Saw he transferred from Mercyhurst to Robert Morris. Would seem like a step up to Syracuse would have been attractive.

He's a Penfield kid. TD is from Victor. I'd bet that they've worked together before locally. I'd bet there was some input there.

I think if he just puts some size on and gets stronger that will help a lot. Someone said he's only 165 LBs. He needs to put 15 - 20 LBs of muscle on and it will make a big difference.

At least one positive statistic he has in his favor is he does seem to win a lot of faceoffs to himself. He picked up 104 groundballs last year in 14 games, compared to 116 that Jakob Phaup did in the same amount of games. I believe he led the MAAC in that category. He does indeed need to add some muscle as he’ll face a serious step up in overall athleticism, but it does feel like that is one trait that is really hard to teach a player.

Not getting the vibe from this article that the Orange are still looking for another faceoff man, but then again Syracuse.com is the publication that ran a story about how Matteo Corsi was going to be a big part of Cuse's plans next year a week before he entered the transfer portal. So ya never know

TD must be confident that this kid has the skills. Again I think he needs to put on some muscle then maybe being coached up he can be solid. He must like what he sees to tell the coaches to go get him. If he didn't believe this kid can be good he wouldn't have pushed for him. I mean you can't teach toughness which u need to be a solid Fogo. I don't care how skilled u are u will get pushed around if ur soft. He must be skilled and tough. TD feels he can coach him up and get him to the next level. Let's hope so.

I watch this kids face offs vs Air Force. He's talented and he's scrappy the only issue he has which I said already is he's skinny and light. Some face offs he lost he was over powered and pushed around. If he puts on 15 - 20 LBs of muscle and gets stronger he can be a really good Fogo in the ACC. He's fast, skilled and scrappy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom