New Transfer Rule Does it Hurt or Help SU in the long run | Syracusefan.com

New Transfer Rule Does it Hurt or Help SU in the long run

AngryOtto

All Conference
Regardless of your personal feels on the transfer rule I was wondering what others thought on how it will impact SU.
I think in the short term we loose some players but I feel there is upside for SU. It seems we constantly miss on the high three and four star players. There always buying the blue blood program sells pitch.
I think this will allow the team to infuse talent yearly.
Just curious others thought.

Regardless of your personal feels on the transfer rule I was wondering what others thought on how it will impact SU.
I think in the short term we loose some players but I feel there is upside for SU. It seems we constantly miss on the high three and four star players. There always buying the blue blood program sells pitch.
I think it’ll help us(in football, bball I’m not so sure). I would guess that we won’t have any starters transferring.

I think it’ll help with a 3 or 4* going to a blue blood and not getting any playing time and maybe they’ll want to get on the field? Look at Shader, he was relegated to WR at MSU and we think he can possibly push for the starting QB here

My feeling is the blue bloods always stockpiled players who never got a chance to play. I don't believe most coaches were completely honest in telling players they wouldn't play. Then by the time a player put 2 years in it would be his normal senior year before he played somewhere else if he transferred.
Now a player who isn't playing can leave and play some where else. Coaches like Saban won't have 30 5 stars sitting on the sidelines who don't play.

Too many moving parts to guess but will be interesting for sure. There's plenty of scenarios where powerhouse programs could pick off the handful of elite performers from lessor teams on a yearly basis bit equally players should be weary of being sold false promises of starting only to burn their one free pass and be a backup. The addition of allowing transfers of coaching change is possibly much more interesting.

I think it will result in a talent flow "down" the hierarchy, at least to the teams deemed worthy of being a transfer destination. And for undergrads.

I expect that the transfer "up" the hierarchy will continue to be at the grad level.

Yes to the principal question presented.

It's all fun and games until Ohio State decide they want Sean Tucker at RB or Florida want Mikel Jones at LB
In all seriousness, I think these kinds of scenarios are unlikely. An Ohio State always has a recruit coming in that has the promise of a Tucker or Jones, to use your examples. It's not impossible a scenario like that could happen, but on balance I suspect we'll be the beneficiaries of a highly-rated recruit wanting to get more playing time after being not seeing the field at a factory.

I think being an ACC team will keep us from the poaching of our top guys. I think the G5 schools are the ones who are really going to get hurt. The overall experience (facilities, gear, food, etc...) at the G5 level is so much different than the P5 level. I am willing to bet we will see more top G5 players leaving for greener grass.

It's such an interesting conundrum for coaches everywhere though. You basically have to re-recruit your entire roster year after year. The overall player experience becomes that much more important which is why I hope we get shovels in the ground for whatever the plan is with John Lally's money soon!

I think this is going to be an absolute wash for Syracuse. I mean our record hasn't been stellar the past 20 years anyway. Players will come and go. Constant revolving door, and I will hate it.

As we've seen from the basketball side, players have no qualms about transferring down a level either. That affects Syracuse

I have hope that the depth of this year's team will stick once July 1 hits, but I'm not sure. And if it doesn't, coaches are going to be scrambling for new players to fill spots. I'm not enthused about this prospect at all.

I think being an ACC team will keep us from the poaching of our top guys. I think the G5 schools are the ones who are really going to get hurt. The overall experience (facilities, gear, food, etc...) at the G5 level is so much different than the P5 level. I am willing to bet we will see more top G5 players leaving for greener grass.

It's such an interesting conundrum for coaches everywhere though. You basically have to re-recruit your entire roster year after year. The overall player experience becomes that much more important which is why I hope we get shovels in the ground for whatever the plan is with John Lally's money soon!
This is a horrendous prospect every way you look at it

Schools can't recruit players that are on the roster of another school until their name is in the portal. We all know how shady this rule will be adhered to though

Yes and schools can't pay recruits or their family members. With the minor penalties for the factories that just got caught in recruiting violations the bar has been set ... Very low

In all seriousness, I think these kinds of scenarios are unlikely. An Ohio State always has a recruit coming in that has the promise of a Tucker or Jones, to use your examples. It's not impossible a scenario like that could happen, but on balance I suspect we'll be the beneficiaries of a highly-rated recruit wanting to get more playing time after being not seeing the field at a factory.

I agree that the big boys are unlikely to steal our players. But the next tier schools could. They aren’t loaded with talent. As could mid level schools with snake oil salesmen. MD certainly could be a threat for example.

Also a school like Cincy if they wanted to go the Gonzaga like transfer route. If they are Top 15 every year with an outside shot at the playoff, kids could like that. A coach can say you are the guy that puts us over the top.

You also have to account for all the coaching changes that happen. A new coach likely purges the roster and might want to fill in holes.

Overall 1-85 this will be a net positive for us. But those top 1-5 players will always be a threat to leave.

I think it should help us if Dino and co. can get the program back on track. We can offer transfers playing time at a P5 program with a good fanbase that doesn't have SEC like expectations.

Help. Guys like Etta Tawo and Jackson struggled and were behind others on the depth chart...came here and were the stars. I think it makes it even easier for us to benefit from that.

Hey former 4 star recruit...Why be the #6 WR at Florida when they’re only bringing in more 4 and 5 stars next year? Go to Cuse where they play in a Dome and sling it around, and put up 1,000 yards.

Agree 1000%. Factories aren't going to poach Tucker, they already have 3.

I think the transfer rule helps us for football.

We're kind of in that sweet spot where no factory is really going to need our players, but if factory players are unhappy with playing time, here's a place to start in P5. Plus we can be a nice destination for a G5 player who is ready for an upgrade.

Hoops seems like the wild west, but for football, I can't imagine the many positives won't outweigh the occasional negative.

I agree that the big boys are unlikely to steal our players. But the next tier schools could. They aren’t loaded with talent. As could mid level schools with snake oil salesmen. MD certainly could be a threat for example.

Also a school like Cincy if they wanted to go the Gonzaga like transfer route. If they are Top 15 every year with an outside shot at the playoff, kids could like that. A coach can say you are the guy that puts us over the top.

You also have to account for all the coaching changes that happen. A new coach likely purges the roster and might want to fill in holes.

Overall 1-85 this will be a net positive for us. But those top 1-5 players will always be a threat to leave.
It’s also possible that we are the MD or Cincy in your hypothetical. I guess it all depends on whether one thinks that SU is closer in status to the G5 than the mid-pack P5. I think we can be the latter. Unfortunately I’ve largely been wrong about that for most of the past 20 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom