New Transfer Rule Does it Hurt or Help SU in the long run | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Transfer Rule Does it Hurt or Help SU in the long run

I agree that the big boys are unlikely to steal our players. But the next tier schools could. They aren’t loaded with talent. As could mid level schools with snake oil salesmen. MD certainly could be a threat for example.

It's of course possible. And the bigger threat might be in returning to their home state. Like, say, Tucker to Maryland.

But think about it, if you're Tucker and just showed you can start 4 years here, which will get you plenty of exposure, do you risk and go to somewhere like Maryland where you don't necessarily have that same guarantee? Even if they "promise" it to you, that's just enough to get you to switch. Bird in hand.

Dino knows how to connect with players and their families. He will do fine. JB its obvious that without the sit a year leverage not so much.

It's of course possible. And the bigger threat might be in returning to their home state. Like, say, Tucker to Maryland.

But think about it, if you're Tucker and just showed you can start 4 years here, which will get you plenty of exposure, do you risk and go to somewhere like Maryland where you don't necessarily have that same guarantee? Even if they "promise" it to you, that's just enough to get you to switch. Bird in hand.
You are assuming a kid will be rational.

Help. Guys like Etta Tawo and Jackson struggled and were behind others on the depth chart...came here and were the stars. I think it makes it even easier for us to benefit from that.

Hey former 4 star recruit...Why be the #6 WR at Florida when they’re only bringing in more 4 and 5 stars next year? Go to Cuse where they play in a Dome and sling it around, and put up 1,000 yards.

I think it will help in some areas like you said in building out depth and upgrading us at some spots but I think it will hurt in our studs are likely to be poached. Saban pretty much said in his press conference this week that that’s what they plan to do.

Oklahoma knows their defense is preventing them from taking the next step. Now they can target a guy like Cisco who is a proven impact player and work through back channels to get the message to him “would you rather play your last year of college football fighting to maybe make a bowl game in front of small crowds or play on the highest stage in front of huge crowds, incredible facilities, and try to win the CFP before going to the draft?”

I think it’s going to make for even more of a bifurcation of actual contenders and everyone else. Guys who couldn’t crack the depth chart at the top tier will transfer down to “AAA” and the “AAA” studs will get the call up and likewise on the way down the tiers.

I’ll answer a question with a question. Have you seen any rule changes that haven’t helped the upper echelon teams the most?

I’ll answer a question with a question. Have you seen any rule changes that haven’t helped the upper echelon teams the most?
They're still limited to 85 scholarships and 105 on the roster. For every star of a lower-echelon team that's looking to go to a Bama, thatOSU, or Clemson, there are 3 or 4 on their rosters looking for more PT because they're riding the bench now and there's at least one new recruit that is rated higher than they were rated coming in. While some really good skill position player will grab the headlines going to a power, there's going to be a lot more on the DL and OL leaving the powers who won't be mentioned at all and have a huge impact on the team that gets them. I can't speak for SU fans, but I'd love for UVa to pick up some road grader OL riding the pine for Wisconsin.

Logically for the reasons stated in posts above this could turn out to be a net positive for Syracuse. However, with NIL legislation coming soon I see a risk. If Jimmy comes home from Alabama on his summer break and talks to Joe who is a starter at Syracuse but not getting much in the way of endorsement money about the $$$ he is raking in from the local Tuscaloosa Chevy dealership things could get dicey.

They're still limited to 85 scholarships and 105 on the roster. For every star of a lower-echelon team that's looking to go to a Bama, thatOSU, or Clemson, there are 3 or 4 on their rosters looking for more PT because they're riding the bench now and there's at least one new recruit that is rated higher than they were rated coming in. While some really good skill position player will grab the headlines going to a power, there's going to be a lot more on the DL and OL leaving the powers who won't be mentioned at all and have a huge impact on the team that gets them. I can't speak for SU fans, but I'd love for UVa to pick up some road grader OL riding the pine for Wisconsin.

Has the rule changed so that scholarships are a guaranteed 4 years vs renewed each year? Also easy enough to have players deemed medically disqualified if space is needed.

For where we're at now transfers can help depth in classes but it's not a far stretch for the top 1-5 players from UVA or SU getting poached. Say they come out with a midround draft grade and a team like Bama, Clemson, UGA, etc that pack players into top 2 rounds yearly. It's very much in the players best financial interest to try somewhere else that bumps their draft stock.

Color me skeptical. Yes, an SU or a UVA may get a backup here and there. That’s great. But an Alabama, or a OSU or a Clemson can cherry pick the specific player or players they may need to remain at the top. We get a backup road grader. They get that instant offense WR they need. It’s the difference between adding some quality to your roster, or adding the final piece of the puzzle.

Dino knows how to connect with players and their families. He will do fine. JB its obvious that without the sit a year leverage not so much.
I do feel DB does connect with players and is honest. I do not think it’s helps with 18 year olds who get caught up in the hype. I do think it will help with transfers that the original sales pitch they bought into was smoke and mirrors.

Color me skeptical. Yes, an SU or a UVA may get a backup here and there. That’s great. But an Alabama, or a OSU or a Clemson can cherry pick the specific player or players they may need to remain at the top. We get a backup road grader. They get that instant offense WR they need. It’s the difference between adding some quality to your roster, or adding the final piece of the puzzle.
There will be tampering and we know the ncaa is inept at sanctions except for programs like su. But if it gets out of hand I see the conferences finally stepping up to correct the situation.

You are assuming a kid will be rational.

I feel like there’s a better chance in football than basketball where it’s much easier to just plug and play.

We’ll see where it goes, but football has essentially been an immediately eligible transfer sport for a couple years now (except for, ahem, us).

Has the rule changed so that scholarships are a guaranteed 4 years vs renewed each year? Also easy enough to have players deemed medically disqualified if space is needed.

For where we're at now transfers can help depth in classes but it's not a far stretch for the top 1-5 players from UVA or SU getting poached. Say they come out with a midround draft grade and a team like Bama, Clemson, UGA, etc that pack players into top 2 rounds yearly. It's very much in the players best financial interest to try somewhere else that bumps their draft stock.

But where they finish and the rest of college football finishes was unlikely to change even if the transfer rule didn't change. I fully expect to see a lot of headlines about starters going to them. But they're going to bump people out of PT. If that rule was changed as well, yeah, you will keep your scholarship for the 4 years, but one would think that these former starters' egos and desire to play in the NFL will make them want to get off Bama's or Clemson's bench before garbage time and get frontline PT somewhere else. I think non-powers are going to get the same type of players they're getting now under the graduate transfer, only they'll get 2 or 3 years from them instead of only 1.

Last edited:
If you think the best talent is way too concentrated at the top and there are players who’ve wanted to transfer but the rule kept them from leaving - yeah, it’s better for us.

1. getting good talent in their second stop after some development and growing up is good

2. I’d rather have a 4* on his second school than a 3* on his first.

3. There are more guys like our 3rd stringers than there are Ohio State or 3rd stringers.

I think it helps us for football. Have we ever had a football player transfer out to go to a better school? I think we'll see more guys from factories that aren't getting the playing time they expected transfer down to schools like us than we'll see of underrecruited guys transferring up.

Last edited:
I think it helps us for football. Have we ever had a football player transfer out to go to a better school? I think we'll more guys from factories that aren't getting the playing time they expected will transfer down to schools like us than we'll see of underrecruited guys transferring up.

I agree with this. I feel like we've already seen it a lot. Abdul Adams, Tristan Jackson, Chris Bleich, Willie Tyler, Garrett Shrader all within the last few years. I'm hard-pressed to think of anyone we've lost who turned out to be a difference maker.

The rule is going to help the quality of college football as a whole. There will never be “parity” but it will help lower level programs more than it hurts them, imo.

The wholesale jumping from team to team can only hurt the game. The only solution is, when a kid is born, the parents pick a school for him to attend. After that, there are no changes.

I like that some elite rich bagman at Bama will have to pay even more to hold onto kids. Let’s stretch those bank accounts

I like that some elite rich bagman at Bama will have to pay even more to hold onto kids. Let’s stretch those bank accounts
I doubt that your rich bagman at Bama will pay to hold on to kids who aren't good enough to play there.

I doubt that your rich bagman at Bama will pay to hold on to kids who aren't good enough to play there.
He ain’t my rich bagman and they are insane, so

Schools can't recruit players that are on the roster of another school until their name is in the portal. We all know how shady this rule will be adhered to though
Can players contact the schools well before they are in the portal to check out another school’s interest?