New Transfer Rule Does it Hurt or Help SU in the long run | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Transfer Rule Does it Hurt or Help SU in the long run

Can players contact the schools well before they are in the portal to check out another school’s interest?
My guess would be absolutely not. If a school responded to an inquiry before a player is in the portal, that could easily be construed as tampering

My guess would be absolutely not. If a school responded to an inquiry before a player is in the portal, that could easily be construed as tampering

Yeah.

That said - I’d imagine a player might talk to one of their HS coaches, who then might talk to other college coaches to put out some feelers.

I agree that the big boys are unlikely to steal our players. But the next tier schools could. They aren’t loaded with talent. As could mid level schools with snake oil salesmen. MD certainly could be a threat for example.

Also a school like Cincy if they wanted to go the Gonzaga like transfer route. If they are Top 15 every year with an outside shot at the playoff, kids could like that. A coach can say you are the guy that puts us over the top.

You also have to account for all the coaching changes that happen. A new coach likely purges the roster and might want to fill in holes.

Overall 1-85 this will be a net positive for us. But those top 1-5 players will always be a threat to leave.

That makes the most sense. We could get increased depth as the overall talent pool levels out in search of playing time but we could also lose some key players.

Can players contact the schools well before they are in the portal to check out another school’s interest?

I think schools are allowed to respond to player-initiated contacts. School-initiated contact before entering the Portal is definitely tampering.

Hurt. It takes players 1/2 season up to almost a full season to learn our zone.

The speed of some transfers after the portal announcement is a good indicator that they knew their destination before they announced.

An example from Hoops is Goodnine. You know his RI people were in contact with Providence all season.

I have some very strong thoughts on the subject. But, I think that at the end of the day, whatever your political affiliation, the answer is likely to be one or the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom