Class of 2024 - New Transfer: Ryder Ochoa (CA: La Costa Canyon) SSDM / Transfer from St. John’s | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 New Transfer: Ryder Ochoa (CA: La Costa Canyon) SSDM / Transfer from St. John’s

Well there's the SSDM addition. Seems to have good size and love that he has three years of eligibility. Three GB's and one CT for a season as a starter leaves a lot to be desired but he was a true freshmen on a less then stellar team. Either way getting some much needed SSDM help in an one with D1 Power experience is a big help.

Well there's the SSDM addition. Seems to have good size and love that he has three years of eligibility. Three GB's and one CT for a season as a starter leaves a lot to be desired but he was a true freshmen on a less then stellar team. Either way getting some much needed SSDM help in an one with D1 Power experience is a big help.
This was my first thought too, but if he's serviceable next year, that leaves two more years for improvement.

We take thooose. Starting as a freshman is a good sign even if it’s St. John’s. 3 gbs not so much, but actually not far off from Levine spallina and Hottle, our non wing ssdms. Would not characterize the three of them as being weak or low effort on gb situations. Now if he played on their face off wing I would be concerned, but overall there are more important things than the stats. Just gotta be able to stay with your man first and foremost. We will see how he does in that category.

Hooray! A SSDM over 6 feet! Dreams really do come true.

In all seriousness, an interesting pickup. Obviously fills a need. Despite SU returning their top four SSDMs from last year (Rice, LeVine, Hottle and Jake Spallina), the depth after that was almost non-existent, especially with Trujilio entering his name in the portal. So this helps. That said, as others have pointed out, not sure the Orange are getting a sure fire starter. I am curious if Ochoa is going to see real time next year, or just fill the role of a practice squad member, essentially filling in for Trujilio as an extra body.

I hope SU is in the running for the SSDM from Lehigh. He almost certainly would be a guy who could come in and be a day one starter. Grabbing a first line SSDM from a tournament team, who was known for their defense seems like it would be a home run. I don't think picking up Ochoa hinders that. Fingers crossed.

In all seriousness, an interesting pickup. Obviously fills a need. Despite SU returning their top four SSDMs from last year (Rice, LeVine, Hottle and Jake Spallina), the depth after that was almost non-existent, especially with Trujilio entering his name in the portal. So this helps. That said, as others have pointed out, not sure the Orange are getting a sure fire starter. I am curious if Ochoa is going to see real time next year, or just fill the role of a practice squad member, essentially filling in for Trujilio as an extra body.

I hope SU is in the running for the SSDM from Lehigh. He almost certainly would be a guy who could come in and be a day one starter. Grabbing a first line SSDM from a tournament team, who was known for their defense seems like it would be a home run. I don't think picking up Ochoa hinders that. Fingers crossed.
maybe Hottle moves back to offense?

The kid started as a freshman so not sure he would come to SU unless he has a shot to play. I only saw his HS highlights but he has the size, speed, feet and toughness to play SSDM. I can see him contributing next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom