Potential 2025 Roster | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2025 Roster

Trujillo represents the danger with recruiting guys in high school who are career ssdms. Even compared to top schools like St. Johns, D1 speed is so different that you really do not know how their play will translate until you see them at the next level. The goal has to be to recruit the next level athletes who can potentially play offense or defense. That is how Hottle was able to pass him on the depth chart despite playing (I believe) exclusively offensive middie for most of high school. Trujillo had way more experience and IQ but not the speed. We may ask for similar from guys coming in next year, even if most of the film is of them playing offense.

I’m watching the Long Island Championships.. couple things I’ve seen are
Joe Filardi plays all game long.. stays on offense with a long stick and had over 50 points this year.. they won
Second is its at half right now and East Islip is up big and McIntee has real nice speed.. I believe the announcer said sub 4.5 ..has 80+ points this year and counting

Trujillo represents the danger with recruiting guys in high school who are career ssdms. Even compared to top schools like St. Johns, D1 speed is so different that you really do not know how their play will translate until you see them at the next level. The goal has to be to recruit the next level athletes who can potentially play offense or defense. That is how Hottle was able to pass him on the depth chart despite playing (I believe) exclusively offensive middie for most of high school. Trujillo had way more experience and IQ but not the speed. We may ask for similar from guys coming in next year, even if most of the film is of them playing offense.
Trujillo lacked foot speed but I think strength really hurt him more then anything. He got pushed around and ran thru way to much. Hottle is smaller but held his own and didn't get pushed around. I think it's best for him to transfer to a lower level even lower D 1 and build up his strength so he can play. He's just not an ACC athlete so to me yeah call him whiny but he wants to play he has two more yrs and he will never get to play serious lacrosse again. Why not transfer even if he drops to D2 look what Mikey Berkman did at Rollins. Go have two solid yrs of fun somewhere u will play a lot. See for guys like him the portal is good for I think. Sit on the sideline for 4 yrs or go play and have fun. If it works academically then go for it. He might have talked to Coach O and he said if u wanna play more I'll give u an excellent reference and wish u luck. If a player has the ability just doesn't work hard or get along with the coaches and wants to transfer yeah he's a whiny bitch but not someone who can't play at this level and just wants to go have fun for his last 2 yrs.

Makes sense for him to go. He was never going to get serious run at Cuse. He’s not an ACC athlete by any stretch.
Yeah that's the issue with some of these kids. They wanna be a Syracuse lacrosse player but u only get 4 yrs to play college lax why not go somewhere u can get serious PT whatever level it is. Idk I would rather play and have fun then go to a big time program and sit the bench. To play and get PT in the ACC you have to not just be a good lax player but have to be a top D 1 athlete. Plenty of good lax players even in D 2 but they just don't have the athletic ability to play at the highest level. If academics come first and u just wanna play lax then great but I see some kids who can go play at a lower level and do very well. I'll use Mikey Berkman as an example again he dropped to D 2 Rollins and not only started he was a D2 All American. Idk I just can't understand how some kids rather stand on the sidelines at SU or other ACC teams then go down a level and have a blast. Ur not playing pro lax so enjoy the time u have to play serious college lax. Just my opinion. If they do cut down the roster I would love to see some guys who havent played go tear it up somewhere like Berkman did.

This from an article 2 weeks ago, but I believe this was ratified as part of the House vs NCAA settlement announced yesterday:

"An overshadowed but impactful piece of the proposed new model is the addition of roster limits by sport and the expansion of scholarships. While the model features new roster limitations, it removes scholarship restrictions by permitting schools to expand financial aid to the entirety of a sport’s roster positions.

"For example, under current rules, the NCAA permits schools to distribute 11.7 scholarships across a baseball roster of 32 players. Under a potential new model, a school could, if it chooses, distribute full scholarships across all 32 spots."

So, they could limit the lax rosters to 45, but allow schools to put everybody on scholarship. How many players are supported this way would be at the discretion of the individual schools (or conferences, if they can agree on a number). You can imagine a scenario where schools with deep pockets could fund 20 or 25 scholarships, leaving many competitors in the dust. For example, Ohio St., with all of their resources, (and should they decide to compete for championships) might do this.

This from an article 2 weeks ago, but I believe this was ratified as part of the House vs NCAA settlement announced yesterday:

"An overshadowed but impactful piece of the proposed new model is the addition of roster limits by sport and the expansion of scholarships. While the model features new roster limitations, it removes scholarship restrictions by permitting schools to expand financial aid to the entirety of a sport’s roster positions.

"For example, under current rules, the NCAA permits schools to distribute 11.7 scholarships across a baseball roster of 32 players. Under a potential new model, a school could, if it chooses, distribute full scholarships across all 32 spots."

So, they could limit the lax rosters to 45, but allow schools to put everybody on scholarship. How many players are supported this way would be at the discretion of the individual schools (or conferences, if they can agree on a number). You can imagine a scenario where schools with deep pockets could fund 20 or 25 scholarships, leaving many competitors in the dust. For example, Ohio St., with all of their resources, (and should they decide to compete for championships) might do this.
And there is the overall question of in what manner is an individual school is going to pay players the up to $20 or $22 million a year that will be allowed apparently starting in the Fall of 2025 (I've seen both numbers reported)? To players of only revenue sports (generally football and basketball) or will it include nonrevenue sports? And how will it be allocated? How will it need to meet Title IX? As of a week ago this was not going to be resolved but would be left for litigation. For example, will Title IX compliance require equal total payments to men and women? Or can it be met based on the revenue generated by each sport? Or will it require paying each athlete the same amount? SU is somewhat unique because lacrosse (mens and womens) is considered more important than sat most schools. How is that affected by the new rules? Will we pay lacrosse players more than other schools? Lots and lots and lots of questions and unknowns.

And there is the overall question of in what manner is an individual school is going to pay players the up to $20 or $22 million a year that will be allowed apparently starting in the Fall of 2025 (I've seen both numbers reported)? To players of only revenue sports (generally football and basketball) or will it include nonrevenue sports? And how will it be allocated? How will it need to meet Title IX? As of a week ago this was not going to be resolved but would be left for litigation. For example, will Title IX compliance require equal total payments to men and women? Or can it be met based on the revenue generated by each sport? Or will it require paying each athlete the same amount? SU is somewhat unique because lacrosse (mens and womens) is considered more important than sat most schools. How is that affected by the new rules? Will we pay lacrosse players more than other schools? Lots and lots and lots of questions and unknowns.
The $20-22M per year is separate from scholarship, and NIL monies.

Here's a good article last night by SU and Daily Orange Alum ESPN's Pete Thamel. The 3 big issues are Title IX (how to comply with it), NIL (how to monitor it), and roster caps.

ATTACK
5​
Finn KellyAR-Jr.
7​
Michael LeoA/MJr.
22​
Joey SpallinaAJr.
23​
Finn ThomsonAJr.
27​
Brett TenagliaAR-Sr.
43​
Charlie KraftsonA/MSo.
46​
Greg Elijah-BrownASr.
77​
Owen HiltzAR-Sr.???
83​
Blake ErlbeckAR-Jr.
91​
Trey DeereASo.
Payton AndersonAFr.
Brett Bucktooth, JrAFr.
Owen O'FarrellAFr.
MIDS
0​
Chrishawn HunterMR-Fr.
8​
Luke RhoaMJr.
9​
Jackson BirtwistleMR-Sr.???
13​
Tyler McCarthyMSo.
15​
Sam EnglishMGr.???
16​
Barrett WhiteMR-Jr.Portal ?
19​
Wyatt HottleMSo.
21​
Blake BorgesMR-Jr.
29​
Tyler CordesMSr.
40​
Tucker KelloggMSo.
Matt McInteeMFr.
Jack SchellMFr.
Koby WhiteMFr.
DEFENSE
11​
Riley FigueirasDR-So.
26​
Chuck KuczynskiDR-So.
28​
Nick CaccamoDR-Sr.
31​
Donny ScottDR-Fr.Injured 2024
32​
Jack WitherspoonDR-Sr.???
33​
Cadel KolDR-Sr.???
35​
Billy DwanDJr.
41​
Jordan BeckDJr.
44​
Brett SpallinaDR-Fr.
Michael GraceDGr.Transfer from RIT
Cameron RyanDFr.
Dillon StephensDFr.
6​
Kyle GonsiorekLSMR-Jr.
17​
Tommy DragoLSMR-Sr.Portal ?
55​
Jordan VincentLSMR-So.
Vincent BologninoLSMFr.
1​
Jake SpallinaSSDMSo.
3​
Carter KempneySSDMJr.
10​
Max RosaSSDMR-Sr.Injured 2024
12​
Carter RiceSSDMSr.
30​
Landon ClarySSDMR-Sr.Injured 2024
34​
Nathan LeVineSSDMSr.
42​
Dylan SagederSSDMJr.
47​
Aidan KellySSDMR-Jr.
FOGO'S
20​
Paul LamonacaFOSr.
24​
Gavin GibbsFOJr.
36​
Johnny MullenFOSo.
38​
Jack FineFOSr.
45​
Johnny RichiusaFOSr.
93​
Mason KohnFOGr.???
Drew AngeloFOFr.
GOALIES
39​
Jimmy McCoolGR-So.
50​
Patrick DuffyGR-Sr.???
89​
Kyle RolleyGR-Jr.
92​
Michael IppolitiGR-Fr.
Brayden FergusonGFr.
NOT RETURNING
18​
Vincent TrujilloSSDMJr.Portal (5/23)
Since I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night I was looking at this list again. What is the word on Kempney? I recall he was a 4 or 5 star (if that really means anything) out of high school. Thought he was an athletic midfielder. Is he staying at SSDM? Didn’t really get any run there. Back to offensive middle? Sometimes it takes kids years to contribute. Hope that happens for him.

Since I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night I was looking at this list again. What is the word on Kempney? I recall he was a 4 or 5 star (if that really means anything) out of high school. Thought he was an athletic midfielder. Is he staying at SSDM? Didn’t really get any run there. Back to offensive middle? Sometimes it takes kids years to contribute. Hope that happens for him.
Yeah he was a 5 star dominated in the frontier league which can inflate stats, but had a huge summer season with orange crush vs great competition. He's a talented kid hope we can find a spot for him

It's been real quite
I’m just waiting for the Danowski surprise retirement, his son being named HC, & hoping that McAdorey is one of the players that’s rumored to not mesh with Matt, prompting him to finish his career next to childhood buddy Spallina as the elite dodging attack that would cement us as title favorites. Hey, we can dream.

That’d be quite the transfer news to end all this quiet. ;)

Last edited:
Make it happen. Lol
It may take someone with slightly more pull in the Lax world than myself lol.

IMG_0150.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom