New Uni Story From P-S | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Uni Story From P-S

This is basically what our uniforms combinations will be IMO. 5 helmets Orange, Chrome Orange, Blue, White, Gray, 4 jersey combinations Orange, Blue, White, Gray, and 4 pants combinations Orange, Blue, White, Gray. All I have been hammering is for an Orange top, but if this is what the players want I won't complain.

White helmets?

I didn't see anything in the article referencing white helmets.

Just orange chrome and gray as additions to the existing orange and blue models.

A metallic chrome orange helmet sounds freakin' sweet. I actually liked the blue helmet version this year, I just wanted a little more orange it.

We play in a Dome, so having futuristic-looking uniforms actually makes some degree of sense for our program.

White helmets?

I didn't see anything in the article referencing white helmets.

Just orange chrome and gray as additions to the existing orange and blue models.
I am inferring their will be white helmets from this:
"According to one source, there are uniform combinations with orange jersey tops and orange pants, blue tops and blue pants and white tops with white pants"
If we wear white tops with white pants then while I don't like the idea of a white helmet then I think we will have a white helmet to have an all-white combination like many teams have.

All I want is an Orange top and I would be happy, but I think we will have 5 helmets, 4 tops, 4 pants combinations.

It's not about what the fans want, it's about what the players and recruits like. I don't think we're going to lose season ticket holders over uniforms, but if we do, then those "fans" can go pound salt.

I don't disagree but I don't think we're going to get or lose a recruit because of a uniform. In fact I will say ANY recruit who chooses, or doesn't choose, ANY school because of uniforms, isn't very bright. Uniforms should be about the 87th thing listed on their pro's or con's.

I've stopped worrying about uniform changes. It's pretty clear they're not going back to the McNabb era unis, so it's time to move on.

A lot of teams have great new uniforms, but the way Nike has handled our uni changes in the past, I don't expect anything good to come of this.

Maybe I'll be surprised. But I doubt it.

Too many combos. Too many colors.

Penn State will still out recruit us every year in their traditional unis.

I don't disagree but I don't think we're going to get or lose a recruit because of a uniform. In fact I will say ANY recruit who chooses, or doesn't choose, ANY school because of uniforms, isn't very bright. Uniforms should be about the 87th thing listed on their pro's or con's.

No question bees. Problem is that some kids actually do overvalue things like uniforms.

They aren't like you who grew up in the Depression era. ;)

Rocco said:
No question bees. Problem is that some kids actually do overvalue things like uniforms. They aren't like you who grew up in the Depression era. ;)

I know a lot of kids have chosen Michigan because of their helmets, Penn State for their traditional look, USC for their color scheme.

I don't know of any kid who has chosen SU for their unis or helmets, and I don't expect that to change with Nike running the show.

They've done a good job with a number of schools, but they seem to take a big hit from the bong when it comes time to design our stuff.

Yeah there are not too many kids that are throwbacks. Kids who dont care what they wear or how they look. So you can basically say most of these kids are not bright. Uniforms are a huge factor. I am a teacher and coach and all I hear kids talk about is uniforms. Plays a big role. And I know for a fact that some kids choose schools because of its colors. Ive been told by players and recruits that they cant picture themselves wearing orange. I had a recruit tell me recently that he didnt go to a school he had a offer from because he didnt like under armour uniforms. Now I dont think anyone chooses a school solely on the uniforms but they all have a checklist of pro's and con's. And Im sure thats on their list.

Last edited:
I know a lot of kids have chosen Michigan because of their helmets, Penn State for their traditional look, USC for their color scheme.

I don't know of any kid who has chosen SU for their unis or helmets, and I don't expect that to change with Nike running the show.

They've done a good job with a number of schools, but they seem to take a big hit from the bong when it comes time to design our stuff.
Yeah those unis we wore this year were really out there!

bnoro said:
Yeah those unis we wore this year were really out there!

I actually didn't mind the all blue unis.

I don't like the white tops with blue pants. Looks like we forgot to bring the right pants.

Our home basketball unis are hideous.

The grey duct tape numbers need to go.

The orange roadies are fine. At least it screams
Orange!!

I expect some hilarious unis in lacrosse this year.

Article states that new orange jerseys, pants, and helmets are coming. Fans complain that the jerseys don't have enough orange.
Complaining about the new uniforms and complaining about the lack of Orange is completely different. I am okay with new uniforms, but the freaking lack of Orange in the football jerseys last year is a legitimate complaint.

We had 3 games in white jerseys/blue numerals/orange pants/orange helmets-Penn State, Northwestern, NC State
We had 2 games in blue jerseys/white numerals/orange pants/orange helmets- Pittsburgh,Boston College
We had 3 games in blue jerseys/white numerals/blue pants/blue helmets- Tulane, Clemson, Georgia Tech
We had 2 games in blue jerseys/white numerals/blue pants/orange helmets- Wagner, Wake Forest
We had 2 games in white jerseys/blue numerals/blue pants/ orange helmets- Maryland, Florida State
We played our bowl game against in Minnesota in a white jersey/blue numerals/blue pants/blue helmet

Look at that crap we had 5 games with Orange pants and 8 games with Blue pants. We never wore an Orange helmet in 9 games and Blue helmet for 4 games. We had 0 games with an Orange jersey or Orange numerals. Just WEAR MORE ORANGE.

We had 6 combinations last year.
30.8%(4 games) where their was no Orange except the bottom of the helmets/Orange S.
30.8%(4 games) where the only Orange was from the helmets.
38.5%(5 games) where the only Orange was in the helmets and pants.

Give me more Orange in the uniforms and I will .

Complaining about the new uniforms and complaining about the lack of Orange is completely different. I am okay with new uniforms, but the freaking lack of Orange in the football jerseys last year is completely justified in being a major problem and having complaints about.

We had 3 games in white jerseys/blue numerals/orange pants/orange helmets-Penn State, Northwestern, NC State
We had 2 games in blue jerseys/white numerals/orange pants/orange helmets- Pittsburgh,Boston College
We had 3 games in blue jerseys/white numerals/blue pants/blue helmets- Tulane, Clemson, Georgia Tech
We had 2 games in blue jerseys/white numerals/blue pants/orange helmets- Wagner, Wake Forest
We had 2 games in white jerseys/blue numerals/blue pants/ orange helmets- Maryland, Florida State
We played our bowl game against in Minnesota in a white jersey/blue numerals/blue pants/blue helmet

Look at that crap we had 5 games with Orange pants and 8 games with Blue pants. We never wore an Orange helmet in 9 games and Blue helmet for 4 games. We had 0 games with an Orange jersey or Orange numerals. Just WEAR MORE ORANGE and I will .

We had 6 combinations last year.
30.8%(4 games) where their was no Orange except the bottom of the helmets/Orange S.
30.8%(4 games) where the only Orange was from the helmets.
38.5%(5 games) where the only Orange was in the helmets and pants.

Give me more Orange in the uniforms and I will .
#FirstWorldProblems

#FirstWorldProblems
Responses like this are basically saying well I don't personally think your opinion as any merit of importance so I am going to give a smug response and sound smarter than you with my response. We are called the Syracuse Orange that is the freaking nickname. If you watched the football team last year and saw their uniforms if I gave you a guess would you think the only official color of the University is Orange or Blue? I don't see this see as a #firstworldproblem I see it as a school who has NO freaking clue what their brand identity is.

Last edited:
Yeah there are not too many kids that are throwbacks. Kids who dont care what they wear or how they look. So you can basically say most of these kids are not bright. Uniforms are a huge factor. I am a teacher and coach and all I hear kids talk about is uniforms. Plays a big role. And I know for a fact that some kids choose schools because of its colors. Ive been told by players and recruits that they cant picture themselves wearing orange. I had a recruit tell me recently that he didnt go to a school he had a offer from because he didnt like under armour uniforms. Now I dont think anyone chooses a school solely on the uniforms but they all have a checklist of pro's and con's. And Im sure thats on their list.

And is low on the list. I didn't say they don't care, but it's low on the list when all is said and done. I've been there and done that too as well as spoken to enough SU players over the years. It's not a deal maker nor breaker unless maybe they are god awful ugly.

Last edited:
I didn't mind the uni combos this year, though would prefer more orange.

The two-toned helmets were different, which I like. I would have preferred more orange than blue, but whatever.

As for gray, I think they could look really good if done right. Many of the schools who have done gray unis have looked pretty cool and I think with Orange involved, they could look nice. I thought Tennessee looked good with the gray and creamsicle:
tennessee-unis.jpg

If SU did a darker gray with their orange, and maybe that orange chrome helmet from earlier in the thread, I think it'd be great. I liked Texas Tech's gray unis this year, too. Just as long as a gray uniform isn't a light gray like West Virginia or Western Kentucky, I'll probably like them. Those just look like dirty white unis. And as long as they don't get penalized for wearing them like Arkansas St did against Auburn.

I bet a black uniform would look even better and be more well-liked by the players. Using Oregon State as an example, I think an SU tailored black/orange combo would be nice:
oregon-state.jpg

I don't see this see as a #firstworldproblem I see it as a school who has freaking clue what their brand identity is.

Before that awful SJ logo there was no university wide athletic logo. Different teams had their own and every media source used a different one. Our logo and identity is the Block S. I'd like the color orange to be featured more prominently but it isn't 1971. There are plenty of ways that someone turning on the tv can tell who is playing even if we are wearing blue uniforms.

I would like the coaching staff to exercise discretion in when to wear an alternate uniform. I think Homecoming and any bowl game should feature whatever we have that is close to a traditional uniform.

Uniforms are huge in recruitment and in establishing brand loyalty early in a fan's life. To support this, even with a much more important decision, young men often choose the branch of military service based on the uniform. Traditional sailor's outfit vs. dress blues. You may remember the Navy changed to a standard look in the early 70s under Zumwalt. Believe it or not, they were forced to go back to its old uniform when enlistments dropped to an unsustainable level.
I think Jim has done recruitment. Ask him if he didn't show the pic of the dress blues every time he recruited.

Before that awful SJ logo there was no university wide athletic logo. Different teams had their own and every media source used a different one. Our logo and identity is the Block S. I'd like the color orange to be featured more prominently but it isn't 1971. There are plenty of ways that someone turning on the tv can tell who is playing even if we are wearing blue uniforms.

I would like the coaching staff to exercise discretion in when to wear an alternate uniform. I think Homecoming and any bowl game should feature whatever we have that is close to a traditional uniform.
Fair point and good response. I agree with a lot of this. The school scraped the SJ like they should have. The other schools with the block S in Michigan State and Stanford don't have the color Orange which is flashy and sticks out. I agree with the rest of what you say.