Possible WR Coach?: Lanear Sampson | Syracusefan.com

Possible WR Coach?: Lanear Sampson

Lanear Sampson returns to Syracuse for the 2021 season in what will be his second stint on Babers’ Orange staff. He’ll serve as an offensive analyst for the program.

Sampson was most recently an offensive quality control coach at UCF, following a one-year stint as the wide receivers coach at McNeese State under Sterlin Gilbert and one year at Missouri State as the wide receivers coach.

Sampson spent two years on Syracuse’s staff (2016-17) as a graduate assistant and quality control coach. An expert in the passing game, Sampson’s two years on staff coincided with two of the Orange’s four-most productive passing seasons ever in terms of total yards.

Sampson was a four-year starter at wide receiver for Baylor from 2009-12, helping the Bears reach three consecutive bowl games for the first time in school history. He finished his career fifth on Baylor’s all-time receptions list (165) and 10th in career receiving yardage (1,905). Following his college career, Sampson spent time in the NFL with the Indianapolis Colts, Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers. In 2015, he signed with the Ottawa Redblacks of the Canadian Football League.

A two-time Academic All-Big 12 selection, Sampson graduated from Baylor in 2012 with a bachelor’s degree in speech communication. He earned his master’s degree in instructional design, development and evaluation from Syracuse University’s School of Education in 2018.

The man has no ties to our recruiting areas, but by golly he has an infectious and great personality.

Plus he middled around the league for a few years.

I have confidence he can do well recruiting, not sure about coaching.

So certainly not flashy but hey who knows? It will play out on the field one way or another next year. Ok let’s get the OC named at this point.

Is it just me or does this not bode well for the OC hire. Not knocking the guy at all, but where was he on our top 10 list? 9? 8?
Probably 15

He lit up the field at Baylor, spent a few years in the league recently, and he’s young and engaging. I think HS WRs and their families will be able to connect with him and trust him. I don’t see any issues for recruiting here other than lack of established footprint.

As for coaching, name someone who has spent longer inside Babers’ system as a WR that remains available to us. I think this is a really good internal promotion and hire. Probably the best we had available.

He lit up the field at Baylor, spent a few years in the league recently, and he’s young and engaging. I think HS WRs and their families will be able to connect with him and trust him. I don’t see any issues for recruiting here other than lack of established footprint.

As for coaching, name someone who has spent longer inside Babers’ system as a WR that remains available to us. I think this is a really good internal promotion and hire. Probably the best we had available.
Why did it have to be inside his system?

Not for nothing but I’m waiting for Dino and SU Athletics to announce this one.
Strange as I'm not seeing this anywhere else? Also wouldn't you want your new OC to have some sort of say in picking new WR coach?

True as well. DT is also a weird dude IMO he was digging through former player tweets and responding to some that were a few years old. Weird weird guy.

Why did it have to be inside his system?
Uhhhhh…..because he has a year to turn it around or else they’re all canned and completely overhauling the system would be idiotic?

Like, who would you have hired instead? I think we all need to be realistic about 2022. It is not a burn it down and start from scratch kind of transition…..it would actually be insane if Babers did that.

Strange as I'm not seeing this anywhere else? Also wouldn't you want your new OC to have some sort of say in picking new WR coach?
New OC walks in with no say on his staff. Interesting situation!

New OC walks in with no say on his staff. Interesting situation!

What if the new OC has already consulted/approved the hire, but the OC won't be announced until after bowl he is coaching in is over?

That's my hope.

Realistic expectation tho is we don't have an OC because it will be a c-list Mitch Browning type hired after all the musical chairs stop and he'll be living out of a hotel room for one season.

What if the new OC has already consulted/approved the hire, but the OC won't be announced until after bowl he is in?

You kind of make it seem as if it's a done deal. Is it?

What if the new OC has already consulted/approved the hire, but the OC won't be announced until after bowl he is in?
New OC Art Briles ?

Just being silly, or am I

Uhhhhh…..because he has a year to turn it around or else they’re all canned and completely overhauling the system would be idiotic?

Like, who would you have hired instead? I think we all need to be realistic about 2022. It is not a burn it down and start from scratch kind of transition…..it would actually be insane if Babers did that.
I agree. And a happy rosebud to you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom