Possible WR Coach?: Lanear Sampson | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Possible WR Coach?: Lanear Sampson

I wish in football we followed Boeheim’s model of bringing in former players - I say that without any knowledge of what kind of talent pool that is. But could they really do worse than what we’ve seen at times over the past decade? And I feel like it would be a great recruiting tool. Fits with the ohana or whatever as well.

It could work if we had enough quality coaches, which we don't seem to have. They would be less likely to leave. Off the top of my head we have qualified guys at QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, LB, DB. We would need an OC, DC, and STC. You also need an SU guy as HC but there doesn't seem to be a fit there.

What’s Mackey McPherson doing? Isn’t he into coaching. Hopefully he’s our savior and the next Boeheim, down the road.

I don't see why they'd wait to announce the OC until after a bowl game. A million coaches, including coordinators and head coaches of teams playing in bowl games, have already announced they were taking new jobs. Fairly confident it has nothing to do with that and more that this just seems to be Dino's MO when it comes to hires, especially Coordinators.
I fell for the ole “not announcing secret coordinator deal until after bowl game” last time around. I refuse to fall for that one again

He got out of coaching.
Thank you, wasn’t sure. Maybe Ryan Blackwell can learn football really quick? Too bad more football players weren’t interested in coaching. If Dungey was smart he’d start now, I’m sure fans would welcome someone like that if he had coaching experience

FWIW - There were a lot of people associated with the football program who were pushing for Lanear to move into a coaching role. He's viewed as someone with a bright future ahead of him. If this is true - I am actually happy. He's a sharp guy and really technical. Obviously, he isn't a developed recruiter, but that's a bit overplayed now. Connections were big when profiles weren't readily available and a majority of relationship building wasn't via DMing on twitter and texting back and forth. He has the personality that could turn him into a Monroe type person.
I haven’t met Lanear but I know this: in college football, most of the best recruiters are young guys. They tend to be the best recruiters on staff.

Many HCs strive to get a mix of younger and older coaches on their staffs. Dino has relief on older coaches really heavily.

Perhaps costing him some recruits.

Perhaps helping some with player development.

I like having some young coaches on the staff. Kids can relate better to cos he’s close to their age. He clearly knows the system and knows what WRs in the system are being asked to do.

Probably a lot better than someone like Samuel, who never played in it and was new to it when he came on board.

Hope he has some contacts back in Texas that will pay some dividends quickly.

I haven’t met Lanear but I know this: in college football, most of the best recruiters are young guys. They tend to be the best recruiters on staff.

Many HCs strive to get a mix of younger and older coaches on their staffs. Dino has relief on older coaches really heavily.

Perhaps costing him some recruits.

Perhaps helping some with player development.

I like having some young coaches on the staff. Kids can relate better to cos he’s close to their age. He clearly knows the system and knows what WRs in the system are being asked to do.

Probably a lot better than someone like Samuel, who never played in it and was new to it when he came on board.

Hope he has some contacts back in Texas that will pay some dividends quickly.
Agree. Remember, Nick Saban was 26 when he was a SU assistant coach in 1977. Hmmm... I wonder whatever happened to him? ;)

Agree. Remember, Nick Saban was 26 when he was a SU assistant coach in 1977. Hmmm... I wonder whatever happened to him? ;)
It’s hard to believe it’s been nearly 45 years ago.

5B56246D-89AF-4293-ADA8-7711F960E685.gif

The man has no ties to our recruiting areas, but by golly he has an infectious and great personality.

Plus he middled around the league for a few years.

I have confidence he can do well recruiting, not sure about coaching.
If you can sell……..you can sell anywhere , with the right words and skill set.

Surprising we haven’t hired anyone here yet. I’m back to thinking it’s Sampson.

If it was Sampson, why wouldn't we have announced already?

I think the silence here actually rules him out.

I'm only speculating that if he's already on staff and working there's no real sense of urgency to announce it. The transfer recruit CJ Hayes also mentioned in an article that he's talked to Sampson. That raised an eyebrow since he's an off-field analyst. I'm not sure I can recall a similar quote from a recruit regarding one of our analysts.

"In addition to Babers, Hayes has been in touch with running backs coach Mike Lynch and returning starting quarterback Garrett Shrader. He's spoken briefly with recently hired offensive coordinator Robert Anae and previously with Lanear Sampson, the graduate assistant who worked with SU's wideouts the last two years."

I'm only speculating that if he's already on staff and working there's no real sense of urgency to announce it. The transfer recruit CJ Hayes also mentioned in an article that he's talked to Sampson. That raised an eyebrow since he's an off-field analyst. I'm not sure I can recall a similar quote from a recruit regarding one of our analysts.

"In addition to Babers, Hayes has been in touch with running backs coach Mike Lynch and returning starting quarterback Garrett Shrader. He's spoken briefly with recently hired offensive coordinator Robert Anae and previously with Lanear Sampson, the graduate assistant who worked with SU's wideouts the last two years."
Think it’s pretty common when there is staff turnover for a GA or an analyst to temporarily pick up some recruiting/on the field duties. As long as not exceeding the max number of recruiters/coaches at one time it’s flexible so roles can temporarily change until things are solidified.

Are we set on coaching now? I can’t follow all the starts and stops.

I believe there is one coaching slot still available. Surprised no announcement has been made yet.

In 2016 at the UConn game there, I was fortunate to have sat with Chris Gedney (RIP), Lanear Sampson and Vinson Reynolds in the team‘s hotel lobby. Chris introduced us to Lanear and Vinson. Very nice guy, very friendly and we talked about his college career at Baylor etc. He was excited being here. Sorry to see him leave but happy if he’s getting more on field experience to advance his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom