Possible WR Coach?: Lanear Sampson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Possible WR Coach?: Lanear Sampson

New OC walks in with no say on his staff. Interesting situation!

Unless the OC is a guy that has already been chosen who is still coaching this season.

So out of curiosity , for those of you hoping this guy is not the WR coach, who are you hoping will be? I think more people are negative about the prospect of this guy being our WR coach for a preconceived notion of what this may or may not say about the OC hire than anything else.

The OC has to be Dino or Sowder. You don't hire a Baylor O guy if you aren't going to use the Baylor O. On top of that if this guy can coach, why were our WRs so bad last year?

I think some of our older WRs just weren't very good. All the coaching in the world isn't going to change much.

The reason a semi-continuation hire like this seems like it could be a good idea is that it keeps all the young WRs on the same path. Talking about CJ, Alford, Gadsden, Hatcher, Ja. Williams. I don't think it's fair to call any of those guys "bad" last year. They're all young and developing. And in a couple of cases, battled injuries in 2021.

Despite the thread title, the body of the info released so far said that Sampson will "serve as an offensive analyst for the program." I have no inside info and I don't know if this is true or not. I just think some of the reactions in this thread are... misguided

Briles is not going to get a job anywhere. Hiring a ethically and morally compromised person would smear the University and probably trigger a huge headache.

There are other ways to show your serious about competing without selling your soul
Gotta love these posters . CMON CHEAT SU !!!

Original tweet that started this thread has been deleted. Not a good start for Sampson if he disclosed this info without permission from Babers or Wildhack.

Despite the thread title, the body of the info released so far said that Sampson will "serve as an offensive analyst for the program." I have no inside info and I don't know if this is true or not. I just think some of the reactions in this thread are... misguided
You are misreading, that quote is in regards to this past season not next season. Tortora just copied and pasted his Cuse.com bio.

Lanear Sampson returns to Syracuse for the 2021 season in what will be his second stint on Babers’ Orange staff. He’ll serve as an offensive analyst for the program.

It is possible that his role had nothing to do with working with our WRs. But our WRs were so bad last year it would seem irresponsible to not have him at some point work with the WRs. Dino was complaining about the WRs not getting the system back in September. If you have an asset why would you not use it?
Analysts are limited in the coaching they can provide.

It is possible that his role had nothing to do with working with our WRs. But our WRs were so bad last year it would seem irresponsible to not have him at some point work with the WRs. Dino was complaining about the WRs not getting the system back in September. If you have an asset why would you not use it?

I raised this point before with regards to Alabama and their analyst advantages with on field coaching and it was pointed out to me that it’s a big no no when it comes to the rules. So I mean, take your chances I guess.

I’d be ok with this hire if it’s true. Young guy 31, articulate, good communicator, highly successful playing the position, All Big 12 etc, cup of coffee in the NFL. You have to have your first job somewhere and there’s a lot to like here. He and Travis Greene will have coaching futures.

I raised this point with regards to Alabama and their analyst advantages with regards to on field coaching and it was pointed out to me that it’s a big no no when it comes to the rules. So I mean, take your chances I guess.

I’d be ok with this hire if it’s true. Young guy 31, articulate, good communicator, highly successful playing the position, All Big 12 etc, cup of coffee in the NFL. You have to have your first job somewhere and there’s a lot to like here. He and Travis Greene will have coaching futures.

During practices and games, analysts by rule may observe the proceedings and interact with coaches. What they can’t do at those times is engage in any “coaching activities” with players. That includes skill instruction, strategy planning and participating in drills.
Analysts may be in game huddles as long as no coaching occurs. They are allowed to offer “words of encouragement” in such a setting.

I raised this point before with regards to Alabama and their analyst advantages with on field coaching and it was pointed out to me that it’s a big no no when it comes to the rules. So I mean, take your chances I guess.

FWIW - There were a lot of people associated with the football program who were pushing for Lanear to move into a coaching role. He's viewed as someone with a bright future ahead of him. If this is true - I am actually happy. He's a sharp guy and really technical. Obviously, he isn't a developed recruiter, but that's a bit overplayed now. Connections were big when profiles weren't readily available and a majority of relationship building wasn't via DMing on twitter and texting back and forth. He has the personality that could turn him into a Monroe type person.

You are misreading, that quote is in regards to this past season not next season. Tortora just copied and pasted his Cuse.com bio.

Lanear Sampson returns to Syracuse for the 2021 season in what will be his second stint on Babers’ Orange staff. He’ll serve as an offensive analyst for the program.

Thank you Whitey, you are correct. I did misread that quote.

FWIW - There were a lot of people associated with the football program who were pushing for Lanear to move into a coaching role. He's viewed as someone with a bright future ahead of him. If this is true - I am actually happy. He's a sharp guy and really technical. Obviously, he isn't a developed recruiter, but that's a bit overplayed now. Connections were big when profiles weren't readily available and a majority of relationship building wasn't via DMing on twitter and texting back and forth. He has the personality that could turn him into a Monroe type person.
Thx for the info. If he really is the guy, we'll all have to wait to see how he does. If the promotion reflects insiders' assessment of his potential, then I'm eager to see how it plays out.

So out of curiosity , for those of you hoping this guy is not the WR coach, who are you hoping will be? I think more people are negative about the prospect of this guy being our WR coach for a preconceived notion of what this may or may not say about the OC hire than anything else.

I prefer the unknown at this point over some of these journeyman who are 5-6 years from retiring. I mean the ST coach, he's got a new job every year and I am ok with it, grizzled vet knows how to coach ST but just another job for guys like this.

Guy is probably ready to be WR coach, put n his time on and off the field and could prove to be a dynamic recruiter if Dino sticks. OC/ QB coach by far the biggest hire and I am not going to get worked up about WR coaches.

Strange as I'm not seeing this anywhere else? Also wouldn't you want your new OC to have some sort of say in picking new WR coach?

For all we know - the new OC DID have a hand in picking this guy.

You can take that in one of 2 ways:
New OC is outside Cuse, but can’t move til after either signing day or bowl game.
New OC is internal.

Really, REALLY hope it’s the former, NOT the latter.

New OC is outside Cuse, but can’t move til after either signing day or bowl game.
New OC is internal.

I'll go out on a limb here and agree with others who have said that Sowder is the likely choice, or at least someone with "Baylor" system experience. If Sampson is the guy, he can coach specifically to how to run routes in that system (more or less).

New OC is internal.

I will be surprised if Dino goes outside the Baylor system for OC. They only 2 who fit the QB guy JW wants is Kendal Briles or Phil Montgomery. Neither of those two would come here. So I think Dino is OC and he will get a QB coach. Maybe someone like Garrick McGee. Then we just need a D coach to fill the staff.

I'll go out on a limb here and agree with others who have said that Sowder is the likely choice, or at least someone with "Baylor" system experience. If Sampson is the guy, he can coach specifically to how to run routes in that system (more or less).
Sowder is the best available Baylor system OC but he doesn't fit the QB guru JW mentioned.

As a player he was a WR/TE. He started coaching as a RB coach. Then a WR coach at 3 stops, followed by OC/TE. It wasn't until Kent State that he worked with QBs.

Sowder is the best available Baylor system OC but he doesn't fit the QB guru JW mentioned.

As a player he was a WR/TE. He started coaching as a RB coach. Then a WR coach at 3 stops, followed by OC/TE. It wasn't until Kent State that he worked with QBs.
JW can ask Santa for whatever he wants but if the Elves can't produce, what's he going to do?

JW can ask Santa for whatever he wants but if the Elves can't produce, what's he going to do?
Why come out and say what he did publicly to then go out and not follow what he said? He could have given his wish list to Dino privately. Sowder has a lot less QB experience than Gilbert.

I prefer the unknown at this point over some of these journeyman who are 5-6 years from retiring. I mean the ST coach, he's got a new job every year and I am ok with it, grizzled vet knows how to coach ST but just another job for guys like this.

Guy is probably ready to be WR coach, put n his time on and off the field and could prove to be a dynamic recruiter if Dino sticks. OC/ QB coach by far the biggest hire and I am not going to get worked up about WR coaches.
I remember when people questioned hiring Rob Moore.

I remember when people questioned hiring Rob Moore.
I wish in football we followed Boeheim’s model of bringing in former players - I say that without any knowledge of what kind of talent pool that is. But could they really do worse than what we’ve seen at times over the past decade? And I feel like it would be a great recruiting tool. Fits with the ohana or whatever as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom