New WR Coach: Terry Samuel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New WR Coach: Terry Samuel

Good hire! Already a relationship with Babers, good recruiter who has recruited Michigan and Texas that I know of. Had several Mich St WR’s go to NFL.

The question still looms. Who will be coaching special teams?
Someone already on the staff will pick up the special teams. I'm curious who gets the Assistant HC title.

Congrats to the new coach. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with some of our younger P5 sized talent at WR we have brought in the last two years. I think he will like what he has to work with in that regard. Alford, William's, etc

Wonder why he went from MSU WR coach for so many years to what was a demotion to assistant of the defensive backfield and freshman coach to then leaving for UNLV as WR coach.

Wonder why he went from MSU WR coach for so many years to what was a demotion to assistant of the defensive backfield and freshman coach to then leaving for UNLV as WR coach.
Head Coaching change and cut in contracts from two year to one for multiple coaches at MSU.

Someone already on the staff will pick up the special teams. I'm curious who gets the Assistant HC title.

I think Nick Monroe is probably the odds on favorite. Tremendous improvement in his position group and top level recruiter.

In the last couple of years of the Dantonio era, the MSU offense got progressively worse. SU alum Dave Warner was the OC. Dantonio’s reluctance to fire Warner would play a big role is his getting fired (there were other things going on as well).

His last year, he was forced to shake up the offensive coaching staff and he moved Samuel to a DB position. I believe he kept Warner at OC, the unit still stunk and the whole staff was fired. Anyway, I don’t think it was something Samuel did. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My take on the change:

We have had Reno Ferri and Justin Ludwig as our WR coaches. I would say development of the WR unit under these guys has not been optimal. Why? Neither played in the Babers system, neither were WRs as players and neither were really WR coaches. I think Dino realized he needed to add some coaches on the staff with ties to the Northeast and didn’t really have a place to put them, so he stashed them at the WR spots.

I think Dino realized he needed a coach to teach these young WRs how to play. Maybe it came down to Lepak or someone from the outside. Lepak would be great teaching the position...he knows the Babers system really well from the perspective of a player and a coach.

But he doesn’t have the recruiting experience and he doesn’t have ideal experience as a WR coach at this level.

Samuel lost his mentor when Dantonio was fired. Dino needs a real WR assistant coach, needs someone whose has recruited in our recruiting territories and needs someone who is likely to stay a while. Almost the entire WR unit is African American. Samuel played WR in college and has coached the position at the highest level for more than a decade. He knows what it takes to become a big time WR at this level. He is going to have a lot of credibility with the players from day one. That he has strong ties recruiting Michigan is great. We have tried hard to get into MLK and Cass Tech in Detroit for a long time, with little success, Terry has strong ties to these schools. If anyone can get us into the Motor City, it is this guy.

Last edited:
I think our WRs need a lot of attention. I would hate to see him splitting time at ST. Hopefully someone else on the staff is able to step in.
Could be chip or Monroe. Both work the secondary and could maybe work with st.

Michigan State has a couple of interesting guys in the portal ( WR ) Tre'vion Morgan 6'6 215 ( CB ) Davion Williams 6'2 185 both had a very nice offer list out of high school maybe Samuel could get Dino to make a phone call ?

Michigan State has a couple of interesting guys in the portal ( WR ) Tre'vion Morgan 6'6 215 ( CB ) Davion Williams 6'2 185 both had a very nice offer list out of high school maybe Samuel could get Dino to make a phone call ?
Not sure if we pick up another wr from the portal. There are a lot of other needs. However wr from mst 6’6 215 and unlv 6’4 205 in the portal.

Here is my take, unless I see improvement in the WR corps it's a bad hire. I'm just programmed that way now.

No resume is ever perfect. In some ways, I think guys who have been through hardships and made adjustments are the best future hires. It is like Mac Jones, Tua, Matt Leinarts of the world who have always been surrounded by the best talent. I am into guys who have made it happen at Wyoming, Miami (OH), benched at Michigan, etc. You know where I am going.

Also sometimes you have to make lateral moves in life to recognize your strengths and find the opportunity that meets those areas. Some times it is a chemistry thing at work. Personally, there are systems and people that I have worked with in my own career that have been very successful for my job and others that have not been the right fit. I am hopeful that this is a system at that Coach Samuel. Good luck Coach! GO ORANGE

i Hope he really is a recruiter--jersey nyc and pennsy needed. it would be great if we got those two schools in detroit.

Good hire. Seems like a solid recruiter but he is a guy that knows how to coach the fundamentals of the position and can get marginal guys to play at a hire level. Its really that simple. I think some people over think hires. A lot of the times its about realtionships and fits. You need people that share the same ideas as you. People you trust with your players. Besides mentoring the WR room Samuel might be able to add some new pass scheme concepts from his past experiences.

Good hire. Seems like a solid recruiter but he is a guy that knows how to coach the fundamentals of the position and can get marginal guys to play at a hire level. Its really that simple. I think some people over think hires. A lot of the times its about realtionships and fits. You need people that share the same ideas as you. People you trust with your players. Besides mentoring the WR room Samuel might be able to add some new pass scheme concepts from his past experiences.

Agreed, Proven P5 WR coach with good experience coaching and established recruiting ties. Solid hire. Checks all the boxes. Onward and upward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom