New WR Coach: Terry Samuel | Syracusefan.com

New WR Coach: Terry Samuel

A former Babers player as a full-fledged coach on the staff - is this a first?

Not sure how I feel

Longtime Michigan State asssistant coach Terrence Samuel officially joined the UNLV football program on March 11, 2020, to oversee wide receivers and serve as the Rebels' pass game coordinator.

Samuel came to Las Vegas after nine seasons in East Lansing. He spent last year assisting MSU’s defensive secondary and serving as freshmen head coach after overseeing the Spartans’ wide receivers from 2011-18. During that eight-year period, his players earned All-Big Ten recognition eight times, including two Big Ten Receivers of the Year in Tony Lippett (2014) and Aaron Burbridge (2015). In addition, five Spartan wide receivers were selected in the NFL Draft and six made active NFL rosters. Three of MSU’s seven receivers who have recorded 1,000-yard receiving seasons in the history of the program came under the tutelage of Samuel (B.J. Cunningham, Lippett, Burbridge). Burbridge, the MVP on Michigan State’s 2015 Big Ten Championship and College Football Playoff team, became the first Spartan ever to lead the conference in both receiving yards and receptions in the same season.

Samuel spent the 2010 season at Central Michigan where he mentored Cody Wilson, who posted one of the top individual receiving seasons in school history, catching 83 passes for 1,137 yards. Prior to his stop in Mount Pleasant, Samuel coached receivers at North Dakota State for two seasons (2008-09). Before that he was the offensive coordinator and running backs coach at Nebraska-Omaha in 2007, helping lead the Mavericks to a 10-1 overall record and North Central Conference championship. Samuel coached receivers at Southeast Missouri State in 2006 following an original three-year stint at Nebraska-Omaha. He coached defensive backs at Nebraska-Omaha in 2003 and 2004, then assumed the duties of special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach in 2005. Samuel began his coaching career at Nebraska-Omaha as a graduate assistant from 1998-2000 before spending two years as a GA at Arizona.

Samuel was a four-year letterman (1991-94) as a receiver at Purdue. He earned his bachelor's degree in communication and psychology from Purdue in 1995 and his master's degree in recreation administration from Nebraska-Omaha in 2001.

Looks like his main recruiting was done in Michigan with some Ohio sprinkled in with some others states. Will be interesting to see if he can get them to Central New York, but I like his Power 5 experience and results at Michigan State, so I'm initally encouraged by the hire.

I'm with MSOrange. Living in B1G country and watching MSU games very often with my my uncle Ron(alumnus of MSU), I was always impressed with the receivers that they had over the years. Seeing that Terry Samuel was coach during many of those years, I too am encouraged. But we need to see the results of his past MSU success hit full cycle rather quickly here at SU.

I hope the receivers on campus now flourish under Samuel, and I hope Samuel is a good recruiter. We have nothing to lose backing this hire. I for one am.

This is a really nice hire, he can recruit and coach from what I can tell. Who handles special teams is the last mystery to solve

5543244B-50E6-4C63-B3B8-21C7BEEA6241.jpeg

Longtime Michigan State asssistant coach Terrence Samuel officially joined the UNLV football program on March 11, 2020, to oversee wide receivers and serve as the Rebels' pass game coordinator.

Samuel came to Las Vegas after nine seasons in East Lansing. He spent last year assisting MSU’s defensive secondary and serving as freshmen head coach after overseeing the Spartans’ wide receivers from 2011-18. During that eight-year period, his players earned All-Big Ten recognition eight times, including two Big Ten Receivers of the Year in Tony Lippett (2014) and Aaron Burbridge (2015). In addition, five Spartan wide receivers were selected in the NFL Draft and six made active NFL rosters. Three of MSU’s seven receivers who have recorded 1,000-yard receiving seasons in the history of the program came under the tutelage of Samuel (B.J. Cunningham, Lippett, Burbridge). Burbridge, the MVP on Michigan State’s 2015 Big Ten Championship and College Football Playoff team, became the first Spartan ever to lead the conference in both receiving yards and receptions in the same season.

Samuel spent the 2010 season at Central Michigan where he mentored Cody Wilson, who posted one of the top individual receiving seasons in school history, catching 83 passes for 1,137 yards. Prior to his stop in Mount Pleasant, Samuel coached receivers at North Dakota State for two seasons (2008-09). Before that he was the offensive coordinator and running backs coach at Nebraska-Omaha in 2007, helping lead the Mavericks to a 10-1 overall record and North Central Conference championship. Samuel coached receivers at Southeast Missouri State in 2006 following an original three-year stint at Nebraska-Omaha. He coached defensive backs at Nebraska-Omaha in 2003 and 2004, then assumed the duties of special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach in 2005. Samuel began his coaching career at Nebraska-Omaha as a graduate assistant from 1998-2000 before spending two years as a GA at Arizona.

Samuel was a four-year letterman (1991-94) as a receiver at Purdue. He earned his bachelor's degree in communication and psychology from Purdue in 1995 and his master's degree in recreation administration from Nebraska-Omaha in 2001.
NDSU and State are impressive.

This is a really nice hire, he can recruit and coach from what I can tell. Who handles special teams is the last mystery to solve
I think our WRs need a lot of attention. I would hate to see him splitting time at ST. Hopefully someone else on the staff is able to step in.

Looks like a really solid hire. As Finwad32 said, I like that he has a track record over a period of time. Not some guy we “hope” can do it just because.

Recruiting part I’ll hold off on an opinion. That’s not a negative, it’s just one of those things that at SU who will be able to recruit is a swirl of the magic 8 ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom