New WR Coach: Terry Samuel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New WR Coach: Terry Samuel

It makes sense to look into past relationships Samuel had but I would be careful looking at HS film and determining current value. Coaches are relying more on other resources. They also look at current practice/ scrimmage/game cut ups. They are getting insight from their contacts from their HS and current coaches they know. Some of the questions they might ask... Why is he leaving? Did the kid have injuries? How was his attitude? Was he a good person and student? Does he fit what we do? Does he have more upside than our current players in the system or is he just a depth guy? The amount of offers and stars they had in HS doesnt matter as much. It does show their potential coming out.

interesting. how were you programmed before
Before I would get all "jacked" up about a hire based on their past experiences. I would believe that the recruiting would pick up with higher rated players and an increase in production from the product on the field. It seems 90% of the time that would not be the case at SU.

Before I would get all "jacked" up about a hire based on their past experiences. I would believe that the recruiting would pick up with higher rated players and an increase in production from the product on the field. It seems 90% of the time that would not be the case at SU.
Its interesting because we got great Wr production when McCloud was the lone Wr coach. During his time we got commitments from Ed Hendrix and Taj Harris but I wouldn't say McCloud is this great developer of the positon or a ace recruiter. Sometimes its a crapshoot

Someone who can coach the position is very different than a coach who knows the position. It’s a massive difference most people don’t grasp. Being a good WR in CFB or the NFL, having 20 yrs of coaching experience, working under Saban or whomever don’t make you someone who can coach. That makes you someone who knows the position. SU needs guys who can take 2-3 star players and coach them to be better than they currently are. That’s a skill that isn’t as prevalent in coaching as you’d expect. I think Samuel is a guy who knows how to coach, we need that.

ahh - you were previously too optimistic, but now are assuming it won’t work out

Fair enough, I guess

I think if we’re assuming he’ll have the same kind of recruits he did at Mich St, we’d probably have to dial it back a slight bit. The thing that’s unknown is how much they developed under him

Experienced guy who has shown success coaching the position and recruiting the position at the P5 level in an area that isn't that far removed from our primary recruiting grounds.
Note from a friend with great familiarity of the MSU football program.

Samuel was best known as a recruiter during his tenure with the Spartans. More so than his proficiency as a player development/coaching guru.

That’s not meant to portray that he cannot coach, just a inside glance at where his strengths lie.

Samuel was best known as a recruiter during his tenure with the Spartans. More so than his proficiency as a player development/coaching guru.

That’s not meant to portray that he cannot coach, just a inside glance at where his strengths lie.

Hey if he can bring the talent in that's 80% of the battle as far as I'm concerned. If you recruit high end talent you don't need to coach them up as much :)

Never say never, but it seems like if a coach were to be fired / not renewed, it would have happened by now
The lack of an in-person coaches' conference this year may have limited things as well (other than schools which ditched their head coach).

Never say never, but it seems like if a coach were to be fired / not renewed, it would have happened by now
That's kind of what I thought. A recruit asked me and I said I hadn't heard anything but thought I'd ask the board.

I’ll take that too. Wasn’t expecting huge impact on recruiting as much as ability to coach players. So any positive in recruiting will be awesome.

How did he get so much SU gear so fast? And where was he wearing it that he had a football in his hands during the off-season?

had to make it quick before Leach stepped in

AB15E969-5D11-4C78-B060-9604157E67B6.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom