Newhouse | Syracusefan.com

Newhouse

goodroc

Starter
What would happen to our sportscasting pipeline if we're left out of one of the big 4. Honestly think about it. Is it likely no is it possible yes. Hope our influential alumni and board understand how serious this is.

What does the broadcasting program have to do with sports?

Pretty sure that Newhouse will remain one of the top communication schools in the country ... even if SU is playing in the Patriot League.

I'd agree to a point but then I think about Johns Hopkins and they still have a doozy of a medical program...I get the sports tie in but Newhouse should be fine.

Kenny Albert went to NYU. Jim Nantz went to Houston. Spero Dedes went to Fordham. Greg Gumble went to Loras College.

Some real powerhouse play by play programs there.

It's the guy, not the school. Not the sports atmosphere. Syracuse has a rep that isn't going to be tarnished by a sports setup.

And besides, aren't you crossing a few too many bridges by declaring the ACC dead?

Basketball won't be touched here only Football will be. Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga aren't in trouble over this. If there are 4 big conferences do you think they will shut out Duke or Syracuse for competing for the NCAA title. If the NCAA allowed only the big 4 to compete in March good night March Madness which is big across the nation. Newhouse will be fine, a bunch of my classmates there didn't give a cr@p about SU Athletics.

Uh, I went to school with Bob Costas in Newhouse in the early 1970's and there was no Big East conference then,. I think he did OK along with Marv Albert and Len Berman and others who did not need a conference to succeed.

If You dont think calling major college football. Basketball and lacrosse helps attract future sportscasters to newhouse you're nuts. Always exceptions ofcourse but if we turn into a mid major it would hurt! Northwestern would end up with a good amount of this talent.

If there are 4 big conferences do you think they will shut out Duke or Syracuse for competing for the NCAA title. If the NCAA allowed only the big 4 to compete in March good night March Madness which is big across the nation.
When the Big 4-5 conferences break away from the NCAA they may have their own basketball tournament. In this scenario, which tournament would you like Syracuse to play in?

When the Big 4-5 conferences break away from the NCAA they may have their own basketball tournament. In this scenario, which tournament would you like Syracuse to play in?
If they break away from the NCAA good luck getting the contract CBS/Turner gave them as if its the same 64 teams every year there will be no Cinderellas which make the tournament what it is. Seeing #16 Auburn vs. #1 North Carolina or #16 Rutgers vs. #1 Kentucky won't do it for that potential tournament.

It would certainly impact the pipeline, as a WAER Sports and Newhouse alum I can say that I might not have chosen SU if it was not in a major conference. That had a lot to do with my decision - you want to be covering big games. Now, once someone picks SU, that has nothing to do with it. We had the worst four year run of sports in school history while I was there and we have some successful alums already.

As far as our powerful alums getting involved - there's not much they can do other than donate money and tell Gross to do his best to get us in a good situation in the end, but I'm sure he's trying to do that anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom