Newton/Richmond So Far | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Newton/Richmond So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kadary has been terrible so far. He didn't get back into the game last night because his back up played better defensively and offensively than Kadary - who looks out of shape trying to chase other guards defensively and lost on the offensive end of the court, especially in the half court. He had a couple nice looks in transition.

Somehow he went from a huge asset to a huge liability defensively. Did Willard blame the zone again last night?
You can’t teach passion or work ethic.

I guess JB knew what he was doing giving the starting to Joe and back up to Kadary. Kadary would have been coming off the bench at SU again this year. I think things worked out for SU. Our back up transfer doesn't have the upside of Kadary but he's an excellent defender and facilitator and most important of all, wants to wear Orange.
I was a huge JB critic regarding KR, but im guessing there were some questions regarding practice habits/commitment to conditioning, leadership traits that will eventually show in time. Thats why JB never was "married" to KR, just dating as they say

I think the zone helped Kadary more than he realized. He's not a great man defender as he isn't quick (maybe due to conditioning). Our zone was built for his skillset. I don't believe he will be a good man defender ever. That said that was an impressive win by Seton Hall last night. They are good.

Oregon is not and they are going to have to make some PT decisions to improve. QG should be anxious.

small sample size so far for this year but probably not what Kadary expected. Minutes are not there yet. Can't imagine he is content. Very lackluster start.

1637166605376.png

I watched most of the yale game and thought he looked pretty darn good? 13 points 5 rebounds and 3 assists in 23 minutes. Did a lot of the pg type plays that we liked last year, but I admit he did also look sluggish and unmotivated at times, especially on defense. But maybe 3 games in is too early to be having this conversation?

One thing I am sure we can all agree on is that Seton Hall was not a good choice for him as a transfer. Their strength is both their guards and their guard depth and that is also depth they just added from the portal. Jamir Harris and Bryce Aitken are both vets who put up impressive numbers at American U and Harvard in previous years. Seasoned college players like that are likely to have a strong impact out of the gate. Did Kadary fully realize they were coming along for the ride too when he committed? They all seem to have decided on seton hall at the same time. Did Kadary's leg issues late last season contribute to how he looks at the start of this season? Too early to say anything definitive on the guy!

I watched most of the yale game and thought he looked pretty darn good? 13 points 5 rebounds and 3 assists in 23 minutes. Did a lot of the pg type plays that we liked last year, but I admit he did also look sluggish and unmotivated at times, especially on defense. But maybe 3 games in is too early to be having this conversation?

One thing I am sure we can all agree on is that Seton Hall was not a good choice for him as a transfer. Their strength is both their guards and their guard depth and that is also depth they just added from the portal. Jamir Harris and Bryce Aitken are both vets who put up impressive numbers at American U and Harvard in previous years. Seasoned college players like that are likely to have a strong impact out of the gate. Did Kadary fully realize they were coming along for the ride too when he committed? They all seem to have decided on seton hall at the same time. Did Kadary's leg issues late last season contribute to how he looks at the start of this season? Too early to say anything definitive on the guy!
I also watched most of the SH/Yale game and a good chunk of SH/Michigan last night... I agree that Kadary looked pretty good against Yale - he was disruptive defensively throughout, and after a bit of a slow start offensively he came around and used his size to get some good looks. But it was a totally different story last night, Kadary struggled throughout and Seton Hall looked better when he sat.

The thing that I find interesting is that I got the sense when Kadary announced his transfer that he felt he wasn't getting the opportunity to showcase his entire game... my assumption was that he wanted to shoot more 3s (like Quincy), but that JB was telling him no. So in watching him a little bit this year (small sample size, I know), I'm amazed that he appears to have not improved his jumper at all.

In 2021, I think it's really hard to be an exceptional guard if you don't have a reliable outside shot. Seton Hall has a couple of different guys that can essentially play in the backcourt (Aiken, Cale, Harris and Rhoden - in addition to Kadary), so it wouldn't surprise me to see that Kadary's minutes this year are not terribly different than the minutes he played for SU last year...

I saw a few minutes of KaDary and about the same of Quincy’s last game.

KaDary looks… thick. And slow. He didn’t look for his offense at all, and seemed to be only interested in distributing. On defense, not much going on. He still has those good, quick, crafty hands, to deflect or steal passes, but that only comes into play when offensive players get close to him—he’s not going out to play aggressively on the perimeter where there‘s more space to defend. When he was substituted for, there was a clear upgrade at that position, and I wrongfully assumed the sub was the starter. I have a feeling K will lose that starting slot, unless it was promised to him as a condition of the transfer, but either way, I see him playing fewer and fewer minutes.

Quincy is a strange case, as well. He looks big, and is often down low on defense, but he seems like he mostly wants to spot up at the top of the three point line on offense. He, also, seems I’ll-suited for his new role.

With both of them, it’s kinda said to see people patting themselves on the back, thinking everything JB does/said is somehow validated by our out-transfers struggling, potentially having made bad decisions. I believe these same players would be performing better for us this year, taking a step forward from last year. They’re simply playing as if they are freshmen again, in new roles and new systems. Two steps back. They made choices based on their relationships and how they perceived they would advance/not advance if they had stayed. It’s not for us to judge whether those feelings had merit or not.

Are we going to do this all year? Look, just because KR is struggling doesn’t mean his departure wasn’t terrible news for our team. He was literally a perfect fit for this roster.
Yes, we are, and we will also attribute any poor performance on the basketball court to the failing morals of said transfer players, good sir!

Are we going to do this all year? Look, just because KR is struggling doesn’t mean his departure wasn’t terrible news for our team. He was literally a perfect fit for this roster.
I never thought his departure was terrible news. While Kadary had good games, he had some clunkers too. I didn't think he was the great player many portrayed him to be. I thought he could be great...but he wanted to be viewed as great before he played great consistently. It's not unusual. These kids are high school stars where people worship them and some are more mature than others. One kid could love playing 20 mpg as a freshman and a similar talent gets disgruntled and transfers. It's nothing new. Most of the time the transfers don't do all that well elsewhere. I'd say maybe (generous) 20% become key players on their new team.

This is not a negative about any of these guys, but our recruiting strategy doesn't just benefit Syracuse, but also the player. Some of these guys will find that their skills haven't changed, but the fit for a guy like Kadary was mutual. Quincy is pretty similar in that although his general hustle will cure some defensive challenges.. Man to man defense adds another component to the equation versus the zone. I loved Kadary on defense due to his anticipation, but he is anything but quick. Wonder how quick point guards are challenging him defensively.

I was sorry to see him transfer. Seems like a good young man. I can see him having a BJ Johnson type of career.
I don't like seeing any of them leave and I always hope they do well. Woody and Kadary are young players who could develop, Bras was one of my personal favorites, Q is and was an absolute warrior. Hope they all have successful careers. Only caveat is if we play them I want Cuse to win obviously, but hope they play well in the loss.

I know I follow every kid that has left to see how they are doing. This board was in a uproar over him and a few others leaving. Whether they do well or poorly, it's news here.

I never thought his departure was terrible news. While Kadary had good games, he had some clunkers too. I didn't think he was the great player many portrayed him to be. I thought he could be great...but he wanted to be viewed as great before he played great consistently. It's not unusual. These kids are high school stars where people worship them and some are more mature than others. One kid could love playing 20 mpg as a freshman and a similar talent gets disgruntled and transfers. It's nothing new. Most of the time the transfers don't do all that well elsewhere. I'd say maybe (generous) 20% become key players on their new team.
is that how you see Symir? Disgruntled?

I saw a few minutes of KaDary and about the same of Quincy’s last game.

KaDary looks… thick. And slow. He didn’t look for his offense at all, and seemed to be only interested in distributing. On defense, not much going on. He still has those good, quick, crafty hands, to deflect or steal passes, but that only comes into play when offensive players get close to him—he’s not going out to play aggressively on the perimeter where there‘s more space to defend. When he was substituted for, there was a clear upgrade at that position, and I wrongfully assumed the sub was the starter. I have a feeling K will lose that starting slot, unless it was promised to him as a condition of the transfer, but either way, I see him playing fewer and fewer minutes.

Quincy is a strange case, as well. He looks big, and is often down low on defense, but he seems like he mostly wants to spot up at the top of the three point line on offense. He, also, seems I’ll-suited for his new role.

With both of them, it’s kinda said to see people patting themselves on the back, thinking everything JB does/said is somehow validated by our out-transfers struggling, potentially having made bad decisions. I believe these same players would be performing better for us this year, taking a step forward from last year. They’re simply playing as if they are freshmen again, in new roles and new systems. Two steps back. They made choices based on their relationships and how they perceived they would advance/not advance if they had stayed. It’s not for us to judge whether those feelings had merit or not.
Q should realize his path to the NBA is as a rebounder and defender, not a 3-point shooter. He'd be a solid 15-minute guy off the bench in the NBA in that role. He's not doing himself any good by playing on the perimeter on offense. I wonder how long before Altman tells him to stay down on the block and don't wander out looking to shoot a 3.

Based on how obsessed some have been with 2022 first round draft pick Richmond, I'd expect this to continue for quite awhile.

is that how you see Symir? Disgruntled?
yes... but lets see how he does. Jim seems to get a lot out of his transfer ins... more so than what happens to the transfer outs.

This is not a negative about any of these guys, but our recruiting strategy doesn't just benefit Syracuse, but also the player. Some of these guys will find that their skills haven't changed, but the fit for a guy like Kadary was mutual. Quincy is pretty similar in that although his general hustle will cure some defensive challenges.. Man to man defense adds another component to the equation versus the zone. I loved Kadary on defense due to his anticipation, but he is anything but quick. Wonder how quick point guards are challenging him defensively.
100% agree. We see this with Swider right now. He might not have been the best fit for the Nova style but seems a natural fit for us. I've watched bits and pieces of the Hall games and Kadary is being burnt off the dribble penetration by opposing guards. He's been bailed out a couple times by the center covering and blocking. It's early, but he has a lot of work to do to become a good defender in the Hall system.

Cuse

Q should realize his path to the NBA is as a rebounder and defender, not a 3-point shooter. He'd be a solid 15-minute guy off the bench in the NBA in that role. He's not doing himself any good by playing on the perimeter on offense. I wonder how long before Altman tells him to stay down on the block and don't wander out looking to shoot a 3.
what player would you compare him with currently in the nba that plays 15 mins that can’t shoot a decent 3 point percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom