Next 7 games | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Next 7 games

The couple of times we have pressed Virginia over the years has seemed to rattle them.
I wish JB would release the trunk monkey for good portions of the game. We have the depth this year but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.
You can have all the depth in the world but if nobody can run it right it’s worthless and you’re just giving away points, we haven’t run a good press in years.

Watched CNS vs FM last night, great game. More intense crowd than most SU games so far this season.

You can have all the depth in the world but if nobody can run it right it’s worthless and you’re just giving away points, we haven’t run a good press in years.
Our press is always dependent on what the other team does once they get a 2 on 1.

Because after a few possessions, it always becomes thrm
breaking it and getting a 2 on 1.

If they finish the 2 on 1’s or pull the ball out and run their offense(usually the case), we’re done.

If Jeremy McNeil blocks all the 2 on 1 dunk attempts, or they aren’t good at playing fast but can’t resist trying and keep botching 2 on 1’s(Virginia in the ‘16 Tourney), then we make a run.

It’s interesting that other than one season where JB brought in Pitino to teach the 2-2-1(which we abandoned early on), I don’t recall JB ever playing any kind of “safer” press. It’s always the all or nothing Press. I’d love if someone over 6’6 asked him, and he gave a real answer because I’m honestly curious of his philosophy in that regard.

this years press seems better than recent versions. didnt they use it to come back a few times this season...?

I will be honest, I thought 5-2 in this 7 game stretch. Very happy with 6-1. Need to keep it up if we have any shot at the tournament.

this years press seems better than recent versions. didnt they use it to come back a few times this season...?

A problem with our press which has also been a problem with the zone in recent years is it seems the players are “afraid” or “shy” about committing to the traps. You can see a hesitancy to it. If they would whole-hog commit to the traps we’d have a lot more turnovers in the zone. This year has actually been slightly better than the last few but compare it to something like 2013 and it’s very noticeable.

A problem with our press which has also been a problem with the zone in recent years is it seems the players are “afraid” or “shy” about committing to the traps. You can see a hesitancy to it. If they would whole-hog commit to the traps we’d have a lot more turnovers in the zone. This year has actually been slightly better than the last few but compare it to something like 2013 and it’s very noticeable.
still trying to learn the dance steps instead of just dancing

In '21 in the ACC tournament we were down big and came back by pressing.

With this team I'd try it. You never know what you'll get with the freshmen. Our outside shooting more than likely isn't going to beat Virginia and I don't think we are strong enough inside to do it either.

In '21 in the ACC tournament we were down big and came back by pressing.

With this team I'd try it. You never know what you'll get with the freshmen. Our outside shooting more than likely isn't going to beat Virginia and I don't think we are strong enough inside to do it either.
Manute Bol hit 6 threes in a game once, doesn’t mean he was a good three point shooter.

I know Louisville missed an ally oop and it was a turnover, but it wasn’t because of our press, our press almost lost us that game.

Manute Bol hit 6 threes in a game once, doesn’t mean he was a good three point shooter.

I know Louisville missed an ally oop and it was a turnover, but it wasn’t because of our press, our press almost lost us that game.

What would you throw at Virginia with this team?

Different players is not an option.
;)

What would you throw at Virginia with this team?

Different players is not an option.
;)
I think Jesse and Judah are the biggest keys to the game, if Jesse can stay out of foul trouble and Judah manages the game instead of playing reckless then we have a chance. I’d pound the ball into Jesse non stop. I think Joe will have trouble, they’re going to play him tight, if he can play smart basketball like he did last game along with Judah and Jesse doing well I think we can win, easier said than done though, that’s a lot of variables.

I don’t think this is going to be a rock fight, Virginia can hit the three, I hope we start the game off with the zone stretched out instead of at half time.

I wish I could say start Brown over Bell, but Brown hasn’t been exactly great as of late, should be an interesting game, I can see us winning, but I can also see us losing by 15.

His attempt volume was pretty low I thought though. 1 or 2 a game?
Yeah, he only took them when he's very open, same as here though. There's no reason he can't hit the open threes. Once he starts hitting them, teams will have to guard him tight. That's all he needs though at this level. Just keep them honest and his game will go to the next level. He'll level up again in a few years in the pros when he becomes deadly with contested threes too, which I have no doubt will happen for him.

hes been instructed not to shoot 3s it wont happen
That's true. You could see the moment in the season he officially got the red light. He stopped shooting open threes. He still takes one every once in a while. Eventually he'll shoot them and make them.

I think Jesse and Judah are the biggest keys to the game, if Jesse can stay out of foul trouble and Judah manages the game instead of playing reckless then we have a chance. I’d pound the ball into Jesse non stop. I think Joe will have trouble, they’re going to play him tight, if he can play smart basketball like he did last game along with Judah and Jesse doing well I think we can win, easier said than done though, that’s a lot of variables.

I don’t think this is going to be a rock fight, Virginia can hit the three, I hope we start the game off with the zone stretched out instead of at half time.

I wish I could say start Brown over Bell, but Brown hasn’t been exactly great as of late, should be an interesting game, I can see us winning, but I can also see us losing by 15.

I think the press was a better idea. You're right on Virginia being able to hit 3's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom