Next ACC Move | Syracusefan.com

Next ACC Move

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Assuming there is some chance FSU and Clemson would bolt (however slim)...why doesn't the ACC offer both schools a chance to provide one realistic school they would like to invite . If I were them I would say Louisville. Louisville would strategically cut the B12 off, bring in a great Athletic program and give Notre Dame more to think about. Go to 15...and wait. Get a realistic plan from Louisville on how to raise their academic stature.

The last team (#16) hopefully is Notre Dame but UConn should be put on speed dial (Just in case).

I like the idea of UL. Outside of academics, which I think they are still fairly strong in, against everyone not named Duke, UVA, etc., is that they are geographically right, as you mentioned, and have a very wealthy and substantial backing. Good Olympic sports and obviously a historically good basketball school with a built in SEC rival...

Here is where the ACC stands:

1) Notre Dame is staying independent. Its clear that with the dissolution of the BCS system, they have even less motivation to join a conference. And the idea of a catholic BBall breakaway is more of a reality than ever before...with ND as the anchor school.

2) Louisville is a commuter school. While their athletics match up nicely, I can't foresee the ACC ever allowing a "commuter school" like Louisville to ever gain entrance into the conference.

3) There are no further teams with enough cache to warrant expansion. UConn and Rutgers don't bring anything more to the table. They'd just be another mouth to feed. Also, these schools will always be available as insurance if Florida State and Clemson leave.

There is not any realistic chance that FSU and Clemson are leaving for the Big 12. No chance.

FSU and Clemson ain't leaving.

If they were, why would inviting Louisville make them stay?

The SEC, I could see, maybe. But the Big 12? With Texas still a medium-term threat to bolt for the Pac-12?

FSU and Clemson ain't leaving.

If they were, why would inviting Louisville make them stay?

They want more Football schools...trust me Louisville is a good football school. They are the best football program out there still readily available. While a long drive from FSU it isn't too far from Upstate SC. I'm saying the ACC should be proactive as any BE school can readily be plucked and Louisville would serve as a bridge to Notre Dame yet still not screw up the conference as a geographic outlier if ND doesn't come. I agree that Louisville isn't truly an ACC type school academically but it isn't horrible. They have some reknowned programs (medical) and others that are very good nationally.

It would be cool to have UF vs FSU, SC vs Clemson, and UK vs UL as annual SEC/ACC games on TV.

Assuming there is some chance FSU and Clemson would bolt (however slim)...why doesn't the ACC offer both schools a chance to provide one realistic school they would like to invite . If I were them I would say Louisville. Louisville would strategically cut the B12 off, bring in a great Athletic program and give Notre Dame more to think about. Go to 15...and wait. Get a realistic plan from Louisville on how to raise their academic stature.

The last team (#16) hopefully is Notre Dame but UConn should be put on speed dial (Just in case).

Now that SU has made it's move and knows that it will have a chair when the music stops, personally I have less than zero interest in this stuff.

They do?
2526d1312612520-if-you-lost-everything-how-would-you-rebuild-8de09-notsureifserious.jpg

Yeah, I'm serious. I know that The Internet says that FSU and Clemson are hell-bent on leaving the ACC because they want more "football schools" (whatever that means), but The Internet is wrong about just about everything.

I mean if those two schools think that they can dominate the ACC in terms of football, and can get a renewed media deal that pays them more money, why do they want to leave exactly? Do they have problems with attendance? Bowl participation? I mean people write these epic tomes about them wanting more "football schools" without any direct evidence or even coherent logical reason as to why.

Yeah, I'm serious. I know that The Internet says that FSU and Clemson are hell-bent on leaving the ACC because they want more "football schools" (whatever that means), but The Internet is wrong about just about everything.

I mean if those two schools think that they can dominate the ACC in terms of football, and can get a renewed media deal that pays them more money, why do they want to leave exactly? Do they have problems with attendance? Bowl participation? I mean people write these epic tomes about them wanting more "football schools" without any direct evidence or even coherent logical reason as to why.

Well FSU and Clemson do want more Football teams...in fact FSU is going to have to do budget cuts...compare that to SEC teams rolling in the dough and the B12 getting paid over the market rate. FSU isn't selling out their stadium...they want more schools that have traveling fan bases and schools that will excite their fan base. The ACC isn't getting anyone from the SEC so you have to look past that...Louisville is the best school out there (besides Notre Dame).

Well FSU and Clemson do want more Football teams...in fact FSU is going to have to do budget cuts...compare that to SEC teams rolling in the dough and the B12 getting paid over the market rate. FSU isn't selling out their stadium...they want more schools that have traveling fan bases and schools that will excite their fan base. The ACC isn't getting anyone from the SEC so you have to look past that...Louisville is the best school out there (besides Notre Dame).

OK, if I accept that as true (I'd love to see some first-hand info from FSU and Clemson folks) I have no idea how Louisville is an enticement. FSU drew 80K for NC State last year... how much better is attendance going to be for Louisville?

More importantly, the ACC would get a grand total of $0 for going from 14 to 15 teams in adding Louisville, and since it's media money that drives the revenue boat, how would cutting conference revenue by another share with no increase in the total help?

I must be overlooking something.

Exactly which part of Kentucky forms part of the Atlantic Coast?

I realize that PA doesn't either, but at least you could work your way from PA via the Delaware River to the Atlantic Ocean. PA also doesn't "look out of place" on a map of the ACC.

When ND realizes that its best long term interests for the entire athletics department are to join a conference for all sports, it will be the ACC. We will be patient. And the 16th wilkl have be a school ND prefers.

Louisville academically is not much better than WVU, so I don't see it getting in the ACC.

Here is an article on why FSU cannot be stupid enough to join the Bevo 12

Guys, please. Louisville to the ACC?

Louisville is an open enrollment, commuter college with an urban location and mission.

They have absolutely nothing in common with the ACC schools and they are the polar opposite of UVA, UNC, Duke and Wake Forest.

I must be overlooking something.

Exactly which part of Kentucky forms part of the Atlantic Coast?

I realize that PA doesn't either, but at least you could work your way from PA via the Delaware River to the Atlantic Ocean. PA also doesn't "look out of place" on a map of the ACC.

Would you asked the same question if Notre Dame wanted to join?

OK, if I accept that as true (I'd love to see some first-hand info from FSU and Clemson folks) I have no idea how Louisville is an enticement. FSU drew 80K for NC State last year... how much better is attendance going to be for Louisville?

More importantly, the ACC would get a grand total of $0 for going from 14 to 15 teams in adding Louisville, and since it's media money that drives the revenue boat, how would cutting conference revenue by another share with no increase in the total help?

Just read their boards...Not saying Louisville is their answer but I think FSU and Clemson should be engaged...we can't have them leaving for the B12...if the SEC comes calling not much we can do.

with all due respect, do you seriously think, the best 2 football name schools in the ACC (sorry miami does qualify...but they dont qualify for the SEC) would leave to fight for even to be 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the SEC?????????????????????????????

no way in hell.

1 Championship every 1o years is better for any University than being in the SEC for 10years.

or the bevo or the b1g.

do people not want to WIN anymore???

is everyone a stupidarse liberal freak who rather occupyMAINstreet than declare a winner??

its about wins, but its not.

its about the money, but its not.

ITS ABOUT WINS.

nobody is flukin going anywhere from the ACC.

all will stay in the ACC, collect $$$ and have an easier road to the playoffs.....where 1 game decides all.

just ask TC and Eli and their 9 win season.

Oh Lord

I don't think ND is interested in Louisville, and I don't think ND is interested in the B12. Bridge or no bridge, ND is and will remain an independent until such remotely possible day as they join the ACC or the Big10. I don't think there is any other possible scenario for ND.

Every meeting last week regarding the future of the BCS involved the major conference commissioners and the ND AD.

They are not joining a conference anytime soon, if ever.

The ACC is fine at 14.

This is a weird thread.

Guys, please. Louisville to the ACC?

Louisville is an open enrollment, commuter college with an urban location and mission.

They have absolutely nothing in common with the ACC schools and they are the polar opposite of UVA, UNC, Duke and Wake Forest.

UL would be an excellent fit with WVU in the Big 12.

They are an excellent fit with Cin, Memphis, USF, UCF, Temple, Houston, Boise in the Big East.

I certainly could be wrong, but the idea that UL is the key to whatever FSU is thinking is impossible to believe.

The idea that UL is the key to ND is beyond impossible to believe.

Every meeting last week regarding the future of the BCS involved the major conference commissioners and the ND AD.

They are not joining a conference anytime soon, if ever.

The ACC is fine at 14.

This is a weird thread.
there are so many people making dumb statements, i feel like im in a hoop board thread. :noidea:

Oh Lord

When ND realizes that its best long term interests for the entire athletics department are to join a conference for all sports, it will be the ACC. We will be patient. And the 16th wilkl have be a school ND prefers.

Louisville academically is not much better than WVU, so I don't see it getting in the ACC.

Here is an article on why FSU cannot be stupid enough to join the Bevo 12

-------------------

This is a seriously excellent article in my opinion (selected portions)

"Academics. The people spreading these rumors don’t possess degrees from the universities whose futures they want to determine. To them, these are “teams,” not “universities.” Florida State is first and foremost a UNIVERSITY, not a football team." ...

Big 2 Little 8. When fans discuss FSU moving to the Big 12 they often talk about the excitement of football games and road trips to Texas and Oklahoma. True enough. Texas and OU are two of the most powerful , prominent and well-respected brands in all of college sports. These fans fail to acknowledge there are eight other members in the league. Do road trips to Lubbock and Waco, TX, Ames, IA and Morgantown, WV stack up favorably to Atlanta, Boston, Charlottesville, and Chapel Hill? Fact is, once you get past the Longhorns and Sooners the Big 12 is a stinker."